Biggest Cowboy you whiffed on

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike Sherrard, the man was faster than an internet rumor and at 6'1", good size for a WR. He was so fast, he broke his own leg just running...twice. He was the second 1st round WR disappointment, Dennis Homan was the 1st. But Brandt and Schramm would finally get it right in their last draft with Irvin.

Bit o trivia. Sherrard's Mom was an Olympic hurdler. Her teammate? Bob Hayes. Officially donned "the fastest man in the world" the summer of 64.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ellis was never the same after his injury; I think it robbed him of some quickness that might have made a big difference over his career.
Man, that was one nasty injury with his leg waving in the air as he rolled over.

Last edited:

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
And that’s the worse whiff you can come up with? Our best defensive player on that defense. Ok
That DT they signed for NO was pretty dang good so not sure Ellis was the best player. I haven’t agreed with a lot of selections the Cowboys made. I’ve personally made bigger whiffs in free agency and draft but they ended up on other teams so they weren’t Cowboys. I am trying to stay within the guidelines of the question the way I understood them naming a player the Cowboys took who you turned out better or worse than you thought when they drafted him.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I was super high on Felix Jones. He looked nice in 2009, especially when he went berserk against the Eagles in the playoffs, but then fizzled out.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Amendola.................oh wait.

Seriously tho..... I remember me and another poster battled the board masses to keep that kid. It was before smaller receivers were an NFL thing.

My real wiff was Beriault. (sp?)

sean10mm

Reaction score
Felix ate himself out of his talent.

Wasn't he TOLD to bulk up?

https://thelandryhat.com/2010/07/26/a-heavier-felix-jones-is-disconcerting/

"The Cowboys staff believed that a more stout Jones could absorb more hits throughout the season while consequently staying healthy. According to the Dallas Morning News, most of the added weight came from upper body strength training. As a rookie Jones weighed roughly 200 to 207 lbs. (depending upon your source)."

Another triumph of Garrett's process.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Wasn't he TOLD to bulk up?

https://thelandryhat.com/2010/07/26/a-heavier-felix-jones-is-disconcerting/

"The Cowboys staff believed that a more stout Jones could absorb more hits throughout the season while consequently staying healthy. According to the Dallas Morning News, most of the added weight came from upper body strength training. As a rookie Jones weighed roughly 200 to 207 lbs. (depending upon your source)."

Another triumph of Garrett's process.

I will be the last person to tell you that Garrett won't try to hammer the proverbial dowel into the square hole but Felix was drafted in 2008 and Garrett did not become interim HC until 2010 and full time the next year.

If I were to pin it on anyone it would be Stephen Jones as much as he harps on the durability of RB.

He never could lose the weight.

cowboyec

Reaction score
DL Kevin Brooks...thought he was the next too tall....he was looking like he might've turned the corner then Coach Landry got fired.

QB Reggie Collier....thought he was the next Randall Cunningham.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
for me it would be Newman and Troy Hambrick

I thought Newman was the next Deion with his speed.

I loved Hambrick averaging 5.1 ypc as Emmitt’s backup and his size and speed which Emmitt had lost at the end. I thought he could be a young Jerome Bettis.

Also loved Antonio Bryant and Derek Ross. The early 2000s were full of splash guys who never got it done consistently. Drugs seem to be a common factor except for Newman.

David LaFleur!! Troy had lost his "go to TE Novachek" and they brought in LaFleur and Gonzalez to play catch with Troy. Troy and the team liked LaFleur more than Gonzalez . I bought the cheese on that one!! Great expectations meet great white, slow dope. Troy wiffed, I trusted him. My bad :thumbdown:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was super high on Felix Jones. He looked nice in 2009, especially when he went berserk against the Eagles in the playoffs, but then fizzled out.
They ruined him and should have left him at his weight and used him as the primary KR, that was his forte at AR.

Felix had the uncanny ability to be able to cut at full speed and that made him the best KR player in NCAA history; however, when they tried to make him into a NFL RB, a between the tackles guy, they misused him. He could do that in college because of the D's he faced, his strength was not running in heavy traffic.

rynochop

Reaction score
I'll pick Zach Martin since I wanted Johnny Football over him. Oh my. lol
That takes cojones to admit that one..and you are not alone as there were a bunch of folks wanting johnny, but won't admit it

I know many will say Jerry wanted him, but I've never believed that..and yes I know he 'said' he did, but he was just being nice..johnnys old man is in the oil biz, Jerry no doubt knows him and his family

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
David LaFleur!! Troy had lost his "go to TE Novachek" and they brought in LaFleur and Gonzalez to play catch with Troy. Troy and the team liked LaFleur more than Gonzalez . I bought the cheese on that one!! Great expectations meet great white, slow dope. Troy wiffed, I trusted him. My bad :thumbdown:
Harsh words tackled him and some wanted Aikman as GM. However, I do not think they liked LaFleur better but knew Gonzalez would be long gone before their pick. A TE is not valued enough to trade up that high to get him but that's one TE every team would have gone up for as he was well worth it.