Biggest Cowboy you whiffed on

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That takes cojones to admit that one..and you are not alone as there were a bunch of folks wanting johnny, but won't admit it
I admit it but I didn't want him as the player but as the performer in the center ring of Booger's Big Top. That would have been a marriage made in heaven, Bad Boy and the NFL's biggest enabler.

Manziel's parents went on record not wanting him in Dallas. He couldn't stay out of trouble in College Station, imagine him in Dallas?

rynochop

Reaction score
I admit it but I didn't want him as the player but as the performer in the center ring of Booger's Big Top. That would have been a marriage made in heaven, Bad Boy and the NFL's biggest enabler.

Manziel's parents went on record not wanting him in Dallas. He couldn't stay out of trouble in College Station, imagine him in Dallas?
I wouldn't have taken a 7th round flyer on him as I didn't think his game or size would translate to the NFL...but I thought chad Hutchison could be the answer

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Bob Hayes.

I didn't think his straight line speed would be very effective in the NFL, though everyone was excited about signing him.

He and Meredith simply changed the game forever.

BTW, several other track stars have not panned out.

tkluu

Reaction score
do undrafted people count? I thought Kevin Olgetree was going to be a starter sooner or later.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Hayes.

I didn't think his straight line speed would be very effective in the NFL, though everyone was excited about signing him.

He played very well at Florida A&M and the only reason they televised the games was because of him.

I don't think any of the subsequent track stars panned out. I recall hearing a coach talk about the difficulty of keeping their eyeballs from bouncing, tracking the ball and having the eye/hand coordination to catch the ball was a real struggle. And they were either straight ahead sprinters or hurdlers not used to patterns or cutting.

I think the last one was with the Niners, Renaldo Nehemiah, the hurdler.

I don't think a lot of teams thought Hayes could do it. The Cowboys didn't take him until the 7th round and the pass happy AFL not until the 14th round. There are not many players that can say they changed the game but Landry's use of Hayes created the zone defense that is till in use today.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I whiffed on DeMarcus Ware. I wanted Shawne Merriman instead. Fortunately, the Cowboys did NOT whiff on that like I did.
You weren't the only one. Pretty sure BP did as well.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Duane Goodrich.....thought he had potential....but then...

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Tashard Choice. I thought he would end up being the winner between him, Barber, and Felix. Plus, his locker room speech in college made me think he'd end up being the leader of the team one day

mugsybows

Reaction score
i whiffed on Claiborne hard. i remember hearing we traded up and screaming in my car its for claiborne!!!! i jumped in the pool in april to celebrate that pick. morris is good but they were touting him as next deion so i was disappointed to say the least.

he was the only rookie that i contemplated buying his jersey right on draft day.

mugsybows

Reaction score
Tashard Choice. I thought he would end up being the winner between him, Barber, and Felix. Plus, his locker room speech in college made me think he'd end up being the leader of the team one day
i remember and can still see that speech in my head. as soon as he got drafted that speech started making the rounds in cowboys world and he was seen as the rightful savior. so inspirational it was hard not to like him.

Carson

Reaction score
i remember and can still see that speech in my head. as soon as he got drafted that speech started making the rounds in cowboys world and he was seen as the rightful savior. so inspirational it was hard not to like him.

... and then he fumbled against the Skins and asked for Vick’s autograph against the Eagles.

I loved the Choice pick. But two big no no’s.

Was sad. He dominated the few games he started!

rynochop

Reaction score
Bob Hayes.

I don't know how true the rumors of Carl Lewis coming to the cowboys were, but I remember them..not sure if he could catch a football to save his life but that would have been fun

Londonboy

Reaction score
I don't know how true the rumors of Carl Lewis coming to the cowboys were, but I remember them..not sure if he could catch a football to save his life but that would have been fun
Didn't We draft Him in the 10th rnd?