Biggest Cowboy you whiffed on

mugsybows

Reaction score
... and then he fumbled against the Skins and asked for Vick’s autograph against the Eagles.

I loved the Choice pick. But two big no no’s.

Was sad. He dominated the few games he started!
i totally forgot about the vick autograph thing. im pretty sure that was my turning point on him. we just lost and he cant wait to go get his autograph. i remember everyone in my household was like *** is he doing!!!!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Roy Williams for me. I remember when Jerry made that trade I thought "Man, we are going to have the most UNSTOPPABLE offense EVER!!"

Uh, yeah, not quite how it turned out.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
More recently I would say Antonio Bryant and Bruce Carter. I thought both were destined to have excellent careers.

WeaponX

Reaction score
I whiffed on DeMarcus Ware. I wanted Shawne Merriman instead. Fortunately, the Cowboys did NOT whiff on that like I did.
One of the rare cases when Jerry the GM was right. Parcells wanted Merriman, too, so don’t feel too bad.

T-RO

Reaction score
Was so happy when we traded for this QB who i watched in college and he was a can’t miss future franchise guy..,Drew Henson.....

Yeah, I got sucked in for a little while on that.

I thought Fredbeard was a terrible pick. <facepalm>

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, I got sucked in for a little while on that.

I thought Fredbeard was a terrible pick. <facepalm>

Me too. I am ok taking the center that early. Just didn’t think he was as good as he is.

JustChip

Reaction score
I'll pick Zach Martin since I wanted Johnny Football over him. Oh my. lol

Are you a TAMU alum? I think the only people that thought Johnny Trainwreck wouldbe a good NFL QB were Aggies, the Browns and Jerrah “Hog Jowls” Jones.

JustChip

Reaction score
It was Roy “31” Williams for me. He looked all world to me, but then the league figured out he couldn’t cover anyone.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I am surprised not seeing a lot of Zack Martin on here I remember a lot of people hated that pick they wanted Johnny Dumbball. I also remember a lot of people loving the Mo pick. I also remember a big uproar over Fred. I remember a lot of love for Byron Jones.

I loved the Martin pick since I had him going to the Cowboys in several mocks didn’t know he was that good. I hated the trade and the Mo pick I wanted De Castro and Wagner with those picks. I wanted a Safety over Fred but said at least we got an O-lineman. I wanted the DT out of UT that went to the Pats over BJ.

This has made me look back very rarely have I agreed with the Cowboys. I like Greg Ellis, Jason Witten, Ware, The Hotel, Gurade, Spencer, T-Smith, Roy Williams SS, Newman, D Murray, Martin, EE, and Dak those are the only picks I remember being excited over given I’ve only watched and kept up with the draft since the late 90s. I could fill up pages with picks I hated like 09 and most of 08 and Escobar.

conner01

Reaction score
Wasn't he TOLD to bulk up?

https://thelandryhat.com/2010/07/26/a-heavier-felix-jones-is-disconcerting/

"The Cowboys staff believed that a more stout Jones could absorb more hits throughout the season while consequently staying healthy. According to the Dallas Morning News, most of the added weight came from upper body strength training. As a rookie Jones weighed roughly 200 to 207 lbs. (depending upon your source)."

Another triumph of Garrett's process.
Only Garrett can hurt a guy when he wasn’t the coach

conner01

Reaction score
Bob Hayes.

I didn't think his straight line speed would be very effective in the NFL, though everyone was excited about signing him.

He and Meredith simply changed the game forever.

BTW, several other track stars have not panned out.
Dang you must be a senior citizen lol

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I don't know how true the rumors of Carl Lewis coming to the cowboys were, but I remember them..not sure if he could catch a football to save his life but that would have been fun

Lewis was drafted in '84 by both the Cowboys and Bulls; he never signed with either.

These were 12 & 10 round picks, essentially throw-aways to lock up his rights.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
Mo, hands down...

At the same time; I remember screaming at my TV, and being completely furious the very second we drafted Barbie Carpenter..

God I hated that pick sooo much....

84004489-dallas-cowboys-v-pittsburgh-steelers.jpg

Best finesse player we ever had, AKA, total puss on the field...
And of course the script was written that he would later burn our *** with a pick six against the Lions years later.....