Biggest draft misses for Dallas that could've altered history since 95

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Missed on Brady back in 2000, though we did draft Mario Edwards in the sixth that year. So idk call it a wash?
Mario Edwards was actually a very good 6th round pick.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Tom Brady, etc.

There are endless players we *didn't* take that we would have been better off if we had. We should focus on the one's we took that we shouldn't have taken.
It’s just a fun thread ! Fun to play what if.

Less than a week into the season and it actually died down around here and some like to ***** about anything.

these draft rooms anything can happen. You sue the right old timey catchphrase and all of the sudden jerry pulls the trigger on your guy .

the moss one is the best bc javonb that guy for a decade makes Dallas so cool for that decade, tons more kids grow up cowboys fans than even now. It just would’ve been awesome to have added him to the ring of honor and all the stars they’ve had.
It also changes the course of history so we probably don’t end up with basically any of the subsequent players we did end up with.

instead of romo and Julius Jones etc. we end up with someone random like Matt Ryan or whatever

JustChip

Reaction score
Passed up on:

WR Jimmy Smith (drafted 36th spot (2nd round) by Cowboys in 1992, cut him in 1994) picked up by Jaguars, became one of the NFL's best WRs ever (top 24 all time in yards receiving, higher than Michael Irvin).
LB Derrick Brooks
WR Randy Moss
RB Priest Holmes (no one even drafted him through 7 rounds)
RB Steven Jackson
DT JJ Watt
LB Bobby Wagner
LB Luke Kuechly
LB/Edge TJ Watt
The problem is the assumption they would have the same production had the Cowboys drafted them. Different coaches, schemes, complementary players and environment all would’ve factored in. Randy Moss is the most likely to have produced the same because of uber talent and wanting to be drafted by Dallas, but there’s also the possibility he implodes in Jerry’s 3 ring circus.

irishline

Reaction score
In 2005, we drafted Demarcus Ware over Aaron Rodgers.

Obviously Ware was an awesome player. But to see how things would have been with Rodgers at QB would be very interesting.

We could have had both. They drafted Marcus Spears 4 spots before Ware was taken.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
The problem is the assumption they would have the same production had the Cowboys drafted them. Different coaches, schemes, complementary players and environment all would’ve factored in. Randy Moss is the most likely to have produced the same because of uber talent and wanting to be drafted by Dallas, but there’s also the possibility he implodes in Jerry’s 3 ring circus.
Elite players are great in any scheme. I'll repeat that, Elite players are great in any scheme. There are guys that no matter how bad the coaches are, how bad a game plan is they always shine and are playmakers. See Owens, Ware, Moss etc.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
1. Randy Moss WR
Dallas still had the triplets in their prime, a very good offensive line and a not too shabby defense. Maybe Deion sticks around a little longer too so the secondary doesn't fall apart either. I honestly think we challenge for a ring the next 3 seasons with Moss who was such a game changer. Honestly in his prime he was by far the greatest WR.

2. Chris Johnson RB
Another generational talent. You put this guy behind Romo and on the field with Owens and Austin look out!. His speed wouldve been perfect for Dallas and I think we wouldve been way better from 2008-2012ish. We had some great teams that wouldve taken the next step with adding CJ and minus Felix.

Do you have any like mine where at the time you knew they drafted the wrong guy and left a game/team changer on the board?

Interesting note on CJ. He wasn't in the final conversation for that pick in 2008. it came down to Felix Jones and Rashard Mendenhall.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me but the biggest draft misses ever for the Cowboys ........Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. No way to put it, the 49ers simply stole Rice from us, we didn't see it coming. I love Michael Irvin to death but you can thank him for Randy Moss not becoming a Cowboy. The Athletic did a piece on him last month interviewing former college scouts, coaches and teammates. All I could do was shake my head coz they had never seen that combination of height and speed. He once ran under a 4.3 40 at Florida State, second fastest to guess who.....you got it, Deion Sanders. What is even crazier, he BADLY wanted to be a Dallas Cowboy.

JustChip

Reaction score
Elite players are great in any scheme. I'll repeat that, Elite players are great in any scheme. There are guys that no matter how bad the coaches are, how bad a game plan is they always shine and are playmakers. See Owens, Ware, Moss etc.
Yes, the talent is the same, but the results are not necessarily. The OP said “team/game changer”. I said Moss probably would as well as Owens. But do you honestly think Watt would have been the same here in Marinelli’s scheme?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Wish you could read an article posted by The Atheltic last month. They interviewed several former college coaches, players, and scouts. A couple of things never knew......how much I loved the game. They said on game day Randy would be at the stadium hours before players were supposed to arrive ready for kick-off. It also talked about how he was never a bad person, little rough around the edges but just he didn't trust a lot of people. My point is after reading that piece, I don't think he would have been a problem at all. The Randy Moss we see today kinda speaks for itself........

JustChip

Reaction score

Wish you could read an article posted by The Atheltic last month. They interviewed several former college coaches, players, and scouts. A couple of things never knew......how much I loved the game. They said on game day Randy would be at the stadium hours before players were supposed to arrive ready for kick-off. It also talked about how he was never a bad person, little rough around the edges but just he didn't trust a lot of people. My point is after reading that piece, I don't think he would have been a problem at all. The Randy Moss we see today kinda speaks for itself........
Interesting, thank you for the info. But remember, Randy had some legal issue early on in Minnesota (seems like it was weed). The local and national media would’ve been a vicious wolf pack had that happened here. Moss’s distrust of people you mention would’ve been exacerbated. He might have been Duane Thomas 2.0.

leeblair

Reaction score
1. Randy Moss WR
Dallas still had the triplets in their prime, a very good offensive line and a not too shabby defense. Maybe Deion sticks around a little longer too so the secondary doesn't fall apart either. I honestly think we challenge for a ring the next 3 seasons with Moss who was such a game changer. Honestly in his prime he was by far the greatest WR.

2. Chris Johnson RB
Another generational talent. You put this guy behind Romo and on the field with Owens and Austin look out!. His speed wouldve been perfect for Dallas and I think we wouldve been way better from 2008-2012ish. We had some great teams that wouldve taken the next step with adding CJ and minus Felix.

Do you have any like mine where at the time you knew they drafted the wrong guy and left a game/team changer on the board?
None could have altered history.
The Cowboys leadership has failed this team, andno matter who they brought into this circus, they would have been stopped from achieving and turned into a circus freak.
The talent here has been exceptional. Jerry has pee'd away hundreds of millions of dollars and wasted 21 years of our lives.
Now everyone recognizes that this franchise is a well paying joke.
They're not here to win. They are here for a payday.
And the talent is now sub par.

Flamma

Reaction score
In 2005, we drafted Demarcus Ware over Aaron Rodgers.

Obviously Ware was an awesome player. But to see how things would have been with Rodgers at QB would be very interesting.

It's worse than that. We already had Ware and Rodgers was still on the board when our second pick in the first round came up. We took Spears. As much as I like Parcells as a coach, had it been any other coach in the league, I think they take Rodgers in that situation.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Here's the thing. This isn't 31 other teams Zone, it's CowboysZone, so you have members of this forum posting about the Cowboys. Now that I've caught you up on the premise of what's going on here have a good time browsing the various threads. You might even learn something. ;)
actually it might be seems like many posts are non cowboys related talking other peoples players, coaches, and gms..i mean those plyers being discussed here arent our players and misses are not news they aren't our players this is OTHERZone material..

using six degrees of separation rules seem to be this places only rule to post whatever you want..if somehow you can tie it into something DC related its allowed :rolleyes:o_O;) so im with him many of the teams in the nfl passed on the same players..

the only time you can actually say you passed on player and no one else did is if you pickled first overall..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Every team in the nfl has passed on players that ended up being great

Tom Brady was passed over by all 32 teams 5 times
Terrell Owens was passed over by all 31 teams at the time twice
Dan Marino was passed over by multiple teams
Joe Montana didnt even go in the first round

but of course Moss, and Steven Jackson stung a bit especially Steven Jackson because he was right there and we traded the pick.....

but both Moss and Jackson were passed over by multiple teams

Aaron Rodgers dropped so far in the first round they had to take him in the back

it happens to all 32 teams its not a big deal
so was TJ watt and Aaron rogers...