Biggest draft misses for Dallas that could've altered history since 95

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1. Randy Moss WR
Dallas still had the triplets in their prime, a very good offensive line and a not too shabby defense. Maybe Deion sticks around a little longer too so the secondary doesn't fall apart either. I honestly think we challenge for a ring the next 3 seasons with Moss who was such a game changer. Honestly in his prime he was by far the greatest WR.

2. Chris Johnson RB
Another generational talent. You put this guy behind Romo and on the field with Owens and Austin look out!. His speed wouldve been perfect for Dallas and I think we wouldve been way better from 2008-2012ish. We had some great teams that wouldve taken the next step with adding CJ and minus Felix.

Do you have any like mine where at the time you knew they drafted the wrong guy and left a game/team changer on the board?

Taking Zeke and Jaylon Smith instead of Ramsey and Derrick Henry. LOL

Think about that monster double mistake.

Taking Taco over Watt might he as bad as the Moss pick.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Missed on Brady back in 2000, though we did draft Mario Edwards in the sixth that year. So idk call it a wash?

Not really. Maybe we could've gotten Brady in Round 5. But then, would he have been as successful with Campo as opposed to Belichick? That's really the biggest miss we had was horrible coaches except for Parcells. Imagine if we had hired Belichick.

Hardline

Reaction score
Some of the biggest draft changes is not who we picked but who we wanted that got picked in trade ups ahead of us.
Like Jerry Rice for example.

Oops. I just realized 1995 was the cut off date.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Not really. Maybe we could've gotten Brady in Round 5. But then, would he have been as successful with Campo as opposed to Belichick? That's really the biggest miss we had was horrible coaches except for Parcells. Imagine if we had hired Belichick.
this is so right on. The gaggle of coaches JJ gave to keys to were just maddening. We got Parcells some years too late.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Every team in the nfl has passed on players that ended up being great

Tom Brady was passed over by all 32 teams 5 times
Terrell Owens was passed over by all 31 teams at the time twice
Dan Marino was passed over by multiple teams
Joe Montana didnt even go in the first round

but of course Moss, and Steven Jackson stung a bit especially Steven Jackson because he was right there and we traded the pick.....

but both Moss and Jackson were passed over by multiple teams

Aaron Rodgers dropped so far in the first round they had to take him in the back

it happens to all 32 teams its not a big deal
And Brady was passed over 6 times by the Pats before they picked him.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Passed up on:

WR Jimmy Smith (drafted 36th spot (2nd round) by Cowboys in 1992, cut him in 1994) picked up by Jaguars, became one of the NFL's best WRs ever (top 24 all time in yards receiving, higher than Michael Irvin).
LB Derrick Brooks
WR Randy Moss
RB Priest Holmes (no one even drafted him through 7 rounds)
RB Steven Jackson
DT JJ Watt
LB Bobby Wagner
LB Luke Kuechly
LB/Edge TJ Watt

it brought a tear to my eye seeing this list.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
2. Chris Johnson RB
Another generational talent. You put this guy behind Romo and on the field with Owens and Austin look out!. His speed wouldve been perfect for Dallas and I think we wouldve been way better from 2008-2012ish. We had some great teams that wouldve taken the next step with adding CJ and minus Felix.

Do you have any like mine where at the time you knew they drafted the wrong guy and left a game/team changer on the board?

Worst part is, as they covered in Deep Blue, the debate was between Jones and Mendenhall. Johnson wasn't even being considered for that pick.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i don't know about history,but i would love to have seen steven jackson here.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Randy Moss WR
Dallas still had the triplets in their prime, a very good offensive line and a not too shabby defense. Maybe Deion sticks around a little longer too so the secondary doesn't fall apart either. I honestly think we challenge for a ring the next 3 seasons with Moss who was such a game changer. Honestly in his prime he was by far the greatest WR.

2. Chris Johnson RB

You can do this exercise with all NFL teams.

Look at the players Green Bay bypassed in order to select OT Tony Mandarich.

2 ..... Green Bay Packers ..... Tony Mandarich
3 ..... Detroit Lions ................ Barry Sanders
4 ..... Kansas City Chiefs ..... Derrick Thomas
5 ..... Atlanta Falcons ........... Deion Sanders

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Randy Moss WR

2. Chris Johnson RB

I was a huge advocate of drafting Chris Johnson and Randy Moss back during the lead-up to those drafts.

I also wanted to draft Witten in the 1st round. I posted that passing Witten in the 2nd round might have been worst than passing on Randy Moss in the 1st.

Technically all 32 teams including the Patriots were morons for not drafting Tom Brady in the 1st round.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol less than a week until the first game and some want to wallow in past perceived failures.
I sometimes wonder if some of the people that post here are actually Cowboys fans.

I'm certain that "Likes Collector" is an Eagles fan that hates the Cowboys.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Passed up on:

WR Jimmy Smith (drafted 36th spot (2nd round) by Cowboys in 1992, cut him in 1994) picked up by Jaguars, became one of the NFL's best WRs ever (top 24 all time in yards receiving, higher than Michael Irvin).

True but let’s be fair to Irvin, Jimmy played in a passing offense. When you have a Emmitt Smith along with that Offensive line, well passing yards aren’t going to be there as much. I would bet that Michale has made many more “crucial catches” then Smith.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
traded a 2nd to go up for Claiborne[:facepalm:] and also missed on Bobby Wagner. Come to think of it could have had Michael Brockers with our first. Not sure he would fit our scheme but the whole draft other then out 3rd pick blow out [DLaw]
Iirc Brockers would have been our first pick.

Not a sexy player, but he would have fit anything we ran. There was interest in him because in a 3-4 with his size and quickness, he could have moved around the DL.

Wagner is the one guys talk about. However a combo of him and Brockers goes a long way to change how our defense was in those years

Reid1boys

Reaction score
1. Randy Moss WR

2. Chris Johnson RB

Moss is the no brainer. WE wanted him, but we were in the cross hairs for troubled players and it is the ONLY reason we passed on him. He was a generational talent. A rare breed that altered games from the WR position.

RonWashington

Reaction score
2017 - TJ Watt

GOt some bum named taco charlton instead

2012 - Luke Kuechly, we got Mo Claiborne

When Jerrah was drafting for “ need “ guys like Shante Carver Ebenezer Ekuban Mario Edwards also Goodrich at CB all ended up here . In my estimation Will McClay has been a much needed upgrade in the think tank at the STAR ⭐️

conner01

Reaction score