Biggest Position of Concern Right Now - Center

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Factoring in the additions from free agency and the draft and what we have seen so far from OTAs (yes, I know some people consider them glorified underwear Olympics), what is the potential Achilles Heel for this team right now? For me, it would be the center position. No one on the team with starter experience at the center position. A big question mark at center right now with Biadasz.

Tyron says Biadasz is doing well for a 2nd year player. He's only played a game or two last year but looked decent. Pulled a hamstring pregame and didn't see any time after that. A big unknown right now for backup center.

Have the Cowboys penciled in Biadasz at the center position or will they have some real competition from McGovern, Farniok, and UFA from Houston Braylon Jones? I wonder if we might see Steele get a chance at center, or maybe Knight.

Center is the one position I would be most worried about at this stage. Injuries and question marks could be most problematic here. I guess Looney might be the backup plan if all else goes south. But, I imagine Looney may find some suitors if other teams get hit with injuries at center.

Safety might be a bigger worry for some but I think the center position is much more important than safety.

Didn't Biadasz get some starts last season?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Factoring in the additions from free agency and the draft and what we have seen so far from OTAs (yes, I know some people consider them glorified underwear Olympics), what is the potential Achilles Heel for this team right now? For me, it would be the center position. No one on the team with starter experience at the center position. A big question mark at center right now with Biadasz.

Tyron says Biadasz is doing well for a 2nd year player. He's only played a game or two last year but looked decent. Pulled a hamstring pregame and didn't see any time after that. A big unknown right now for backup center.

Have the Cowboys penciled in Biadasz at the center position or will they have some real competition from McGovern, Farniok, and UFA from Houston Braylon Jones? I wonder if we might see Steele get a chance at center, or maybe Knight.

Biadasz started 4 games and played 37% of offensive snaps. Coming back from injury, in a Covid limited offseason, getting only 2nd string snaps. Tough row to hoe.
He should make a big jump this year, and should *need* to to keep McGovern from taking the C spot, as McGovern was just the better player last year.

We've got two solid, young options coming back from last year who both finished the season healthy. We're fine with either one. We're not talking pro bowlers here, but decent young players who should keep improving.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Other teams can’t do the same thing?

No.
I'm not clear on all the details, but the veteran cap benefit is available for a veteran who has been with your team the past X number of years. It's for precisely our situation with Looney.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Report that Biadasz is looking good.
Rimington award winner from Wisconsin, oline factory, where he started for 3 years. Blue chip lineman who fell over injury concerns. Such a steal.
May or may not be good, but he's not a guy we should have misgivings about starting and finding out.

quickccc

Reaction score
The Beatles weren’t the Beatles the first time they went to the studio. But, their manager saw something. I saw something. Some potential. We’ll see. Not sure what you expected from an UFA starting game 1 in the NFL. 1 pressure or sack is pretty good all things considered.

It wasn't about just game one for an undrafted rookie, it was about a constant struggle all year and he never got better as the season went on.

And " all things considered " consisted on being forced to move your best OL guy from OG to outside RT, just because your Beatles undrafted rookie continued struggling so badly.

Knight has some fundamentals and grittiness to work with as an emergency fill in OT, but he gets physically exposed the more he has to play OT, it's well known that he far more suited to OG.
Backup OT still hasn't been resolved and i think it will be an issue that will be needed address this summer.

Only a matter of time before Tyrone has his usual bout with injuries - that will have missing time during games, and even out of games.
So between Josh Ball, Ty Nsekhe, Brandon Knight and Terrence Steele, there's gonna be a competition for first man up role

i would have like to see Williams flexed between OG and emergency OT, this coming summer, but i'm willing to bet that OL coach Philibin won't have consideration for Williams outside at all.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Looney can sign with anyone and all the other options have played zero snaps at center in the NFL.

I legit think they slid Looney a check under the table to relax in Frisco in case of emergency...

cowboyec

Reaction score
not a concern at all.
biadasz played well last season.
not re-signing joe speaks volumes of what they think about biadasz and his ability.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Biggest position of concern for ME....is QB.

This is NOT a bash Dak comment (that's my quarterback!) nor do I wish to turn this thread into that, BUT....

He IS coming off a major injury, and needs to win games on the road against good teams, and lead us deep into the playoffs consistently.

If he goes down again, doesn't matter who is snapping him the ball.

waving monkey

Reaction score

Tyron says Biadasz is doing well for a 2nd year player. He's only played a game or two last year but looked decent. Pulled a hamstring pregame and didn't see any time
after that. A big unknown right now for backup center.

Badass played 6 games last year started 4. Team has confidence in him. There's a couple of players on the oline that can back up. It's not perfect but Badass aint chopped liver

Center is the one position I would be most worried about at this stage. Injuries and question marks could be most problematic here. I guess Looney might be the backup plan if all else goes south. But, I imagine Looney may find some suitors if other teams get hit with injuries at center.

Safety might be a bigger worry for some but I think the center position is much more important than safety.

Verdict

Reaction score

I think Farniok may beat him out.