Bills submit rule proposal to coaches/front office hiring cycle

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 3, 2021.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Editor

76,277 Messages
    31,021 Likes Received
  2. hittheskids

hittheskids Well-Known Member

1,372 Messages
    2,261 Likes Received
    Seems reasonable.

3. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

42,319 Messages
    35,143 Likes Received
    I agree with this. Guy has to interview for a job as well as prepare for a game the same week. None of them even got hired lol........

4. 817Gill

817Gill Well-Known Member

4,095 Messages
    6,545 Likes Received
    No reason this doesn’t become the norm, makes too much sense.

aria, Kingofholland and Hawkeye0202 like this.
  5. Rayman70

Rayman70 Well-Known Member

20,896 Messages
    18,895 Likes Received
    first, the Rooney rule was always just stupid. You cannot legislate veiled favoritisms from the coaching process. That said, its idiotic to try to force someone to hire a man of color because they are minority...just weird and wrong. When I hire someone, NONE of that factors in...I could care less..all things are equal. I just want the best person..the best hire for the job. LARGELY, I think the NFL is that way. MAYBE not always, but is today more than ever. I say just hire the best man or woman for the job and shove the stupidity with the rule changes up your arse...People will come around in time. ALL the rules in the world won't force change. PEOPLE DO..RELATIONSHIPS DO...now as far as the finer details of this rule propasal..Brian Daboll is HC material..so I agree with some of its premise. Guys need to be able to interview., Maybe I am misunderstanding this proposal. Maybe someone can explain it better to me.

aikemirv, dogberry and Fletch like this.
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Editor

76,277 Messages
    31,021 Likes Received
  7. rocyaice

42,319 Messages
    35,143 Likes Received
    I don't think that was the intent of the Rooney rule. The intent was for minorities to get more interviews. Get more chances. NFL had to do something because it looked crazy that the NFL was full of black players but it was the same 3 black guys getting head coaching jobs.

It was always this slippery slope though because a team is going to hire who they want and teams made a mockery of it. They'd literally just interview the same 3 guys every year....Marvin Lewis, Hue Jackson, Jim Caldwell.........it was a joke. For more people of color to get chances as head coaches its going to to take the players or head coaches to do something about it....it won't come from ownership however.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    brymatt94 likes this.
  8. SeanLee50

SeanLee50 Well-Known Member

20,452 Messages
    33,482 Likes Received
    We were ahead of the curve! We can’t miss out if we never make the playoffs!

atlantacowboy, plymkr, Proof and 7 others like this.
  9. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

12,671 Messages
    6,538 Likes Received
    I agree to an extent look at guys like Jack Del Rio he is overall mediocre HC but he keeps getting bites at the apple. Not knowing how interviews are done and the type of back and forth that is there. There are 100+ ways a guy wins or loses a job in an interview. Use Dallas as an example if a guy came in and said he was going to upset the apple cart he is pretty much only guaranteed a, "Thank you for coming in."

Rayman70 likes this.
  10. rocyaice

42,319 Messages
    35,143 Likes Received
    Yeah that is true.....but I mean I'd suspect that anyone who even interviews with Dallas has to know the deal here. I wonder how that Parcells interview went though lol....I'm sure he ran that process lol. He probably hired himself when he was threw with Jerry.

11. erod

erod Well-Known Member

32,476 Messages
    47,411 Likes Received
    Couldn't possibly be that they are horrible interviewees, or they failed in previous head coaching opportunities, or they call somebody else's offensive plays, or there are more qualified people that made better impressions.

dogberry likes this.
  12. cowboysfan99

cowboysfan99 Well-Known Member

409 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    Can they also submit a rule that owners can't implement themselves as GM?

Portnoy1, plymkr, EST_1986 and 4 others like this.
  13. lostar2009

lostar2009 Well-Known Member

4,838 Messages
    2,773 Likes Received
    Hmmmm Bills feel salty about this? This been going on for years. They probably requested to interview coaches under the same circumstances. It's on the owner to deny or accept the request. If a team is serious about a candidate they should wait until after the playoffs.

Rayman70 likes this.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

27,035 Messages
    14,071 Likes Received
    Backwards - this is to help a guy like Daboll.

It's stupid that assistant coaches get punished for being on successful teams, even if that isn't really the deciding factor.

Rayman70 likes this.
  15. Scotman

Scotman Well-Known Member

2,742 Messages
    3,148 Likes Received
    Doesn't impact the Cowboys.

:-(

16. sunalsorises

sunalsorises Well-Known Member

1,137 Messages
    1,830 Likes Received
    The Bills make a championship game for the first time in decades and all of the sudden they start making rules?

unionjack8 and Rayman70 like this.
  17. Section446

Section446 Well-Known Member

10,438 Messages
    8,799 Likes Received
    I don't hate that idea, it won't ever have an impact on the Cowboys, we don't make it too deep into the playoffs.

18. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

13,071 Messages
    19,050 Likes Received
    They are right. It's a BS distraction for a team trying to make a run. Let them concentrate on the task at hand and interview afterwards. There's no reason to rush.

19. HanD

HanD Well-Known Member

2,301 Messages
    1,834 Likes Received
    It'll be interesting because it would have some impact on college coaching positions and players committing to coaches after national signing day and coaches bolting for the nfl after the super bowl which would be even later due to a 17 week season. Will coaches turn down college jobs waiting for nfl jobs?

dogberry likes this.
  20. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

5,424 Messages
    7,141 Likes Received
    This should be in place. Not like teams are crippled if a coach is hired after the Super Bowl. I would take it a step further. The interview process and the hirings should all take place after the season is officially over.

Silly likes this.