Bills submit rule proposal to coaches/front office hiring cycle

Proof

Reaction score
Couldn't possibly be that they are horrible interviewees, or they failed in previous head coaching opportunities, or they call somebody else's offensive plays, or there are more qualified people that made better impressions.

see press conferences for Dan Campbell and Nick Siriani for reference.

aside from that, post playoffs makes the most sense regardless

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The Bills make a championship game for the first time in decades and all of the sudden they start making rules?

Completely missed the point....it isn't like the Bills are in the market for a new Coach. This would be of benefit to their assistants, not a detriment to them.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
So Jacksonville couldn’t have hired Urban Meyer (who wasn’t even in the league) until after the NFC/AFC championship games?

I understand the playoff assistants needing to get a fair shake but this doesn’t seem like a great idea.

As much as NFL teams want to win, I’m pretty sure that had anyone wanted to hire Bowles, Beinemy, etc. they would have simply waited until after the SB to hire them.

Jacksonville wanted Meyer, so they hired him. Philly wanted the closest thing they could get to Frank Reich, so they took his offensive coordinator.

Those two teams hired who they thought was the best guy to help them win. They didn’t hire them because they didn’t want to wait for Beinemy and Bowles to be done. If they would have wanted those guys, they would have waited and hired them.

Plenty of playoff assistants have been hired in the past. Those guys just weren’t wanted this year.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
first, the Rooney rule was always just stupid. You cannot legislate veiled favoritisms from the coaching process. That said, its idiotic to try to force someone to hire a man of color because they are minority...just weird and wrong. When I hire someone, NONE of that factors in...I could care less..all things are equal. I just want the best person..the best hire for the job. LARGELY, I think the NFL is that way. MAYBE not always, but is today more than ever. I say just hire the best man or woman for the job and shove the stupidity with the rule changes up your arse...People will come around in time. ALL the rules in the world won't force change. PEOPLE DO..RELATIONSHIPS DO...now as far as the finer details of this rule propasal..Brian Daboll is HC material..so I agree with some of its premise. Guys need to be able to interview., Maybe I am misunderstanding this proposal. Maybe someone can explain it better to me.
Like slavery forced?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Like slavery forced?
whoa man...lol..not what I am sayin. Coaches are not forced to be in the NFL against their will...not sure what you mean..but ok. I think skillset and qualifications over skin color should always be the thing a potential team looks at. Ones tone should NEVER EVER be an issue. We all equal. We don't need a rule for that.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
whoa man...lol..not what I am sayin. Coaches are not forced to be in the NFL against their will...not sure what you mean..but ok. I think skillset and qualifications over skin color should always be the thing a potential team looks at. Ones tone should NEVER EVER be an issue. We all equal. We don't need a rule for that.
Yes in a perfect world what you say should be the case but it obviously is not a perfect world and those biases do exist.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yes in a perfect world what you say should be the case but it obviously is not a perfect world and those biases do exist.
humans be like that, your correct. AGREE...just saying, I highly doubt jamming rules or tweaking the existing rule would do much. It will take good people to do the right thing and be unbias when they hire. I think one guy who should be a HC right now is Eric Bienemy. He has earned the right to get a serious look, based off his body of work and record/results. I can see why Watson is pissed...look what the Texans did lol..hired just a guy off the staff of the Ravens or whatever...Joe blow lol...really dumb hire. Bizarre. Texans look like a dumpster fire..and hey..maybe some of that was an ill advised contract they gave Watson. Maybe they shouldnt have been so fast to do that. I dont think he suddenly fell out of love with the team after signing it 5 months ago lol..Bienemy would be a perfect fit there to ressurrect that club and heal whatever is going on between Watson and the team.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I like this I hope it passes. It's a distraction for coaches in the playoffs and teams don't want to wait. It also gives the more press there is kinda a slow period following SB this should eliminate that give media something to talk about and you don't have coach hirings competing with playoff games for attention.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I disapprove. All teams are already operating under the same rules so there is no "disadvantage" as the rules are now. This seems more like change for the sake of change.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not knowing how interviews are done and the type of back and forth that is there.
People don't get this sometimes, Ive found. I tried convincing one of my coworkers last month to interview for a job he wanted but was unlikely to get. I told him there is alot of value in seeing how their interview process works, as well as the ability to present yourself as a strong candidate.

When I got my job, I didn't even interview for it. I got ot based off an interviewed I had done for an opening 6 months prior (same position). After I applied, they notified me that they weren't planning on interviewing me since I had one with them so recently. A week later, I got the job offer

plymkr

Reaction score
We were ahead of the curve! We can’t miss out if we never make the playoffs!
Now that's the positive thinking we need! That's the only thing Jerry and Jerry Jr are ahead of the curve on, lol

plymkr

Reaction score
I think this is a good idea for a rule. I still don't get how Eric Bienemy doesn't have a HC job. I'd take him over MM in a heart beat.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Jacksonville couldn’t have hired Urban Meyer (who wasn’t even in the league) until after the NFC/AFC championship games?

I understand the playoff assistants needing to get a fair shake but this doesn’t seem like a great idea.

As much as NFL teams want to win, I’m pretty sure that had anyone wanted to hire Bowles, Beinemy, etc. they would have simply waited until after the SB to hire them.

Jacksonville wanted Meyer, so they hired him. Philly wanted the closest thing they could get to Frank Reich, so they took his offensive coordinator.

Those two teams hired who they thought was the best guy to help them win. They didn’t hire them because they didn’t want to wait for Beinemy and Bowles to be done. If they would have wanted those guys, they would have waited and hired them.

Plenty of playoff assistants have been hired in the past. Those guys just weren’t wanted this year.
This makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
first, the Rooney rule was always just stupid. You cannot legislate veiled favoritisms from the coaching process. That said, its idiotic to try to force someone to hire a man of color because they are minority...just weird and wrong. When I hire someone, NONE of that factors in...I could care less..all things are equal. I just want the best person..the best hire for the job. LARGELY, I think the NFL is that way. MAYBE not always, but is today more than ever. I say just hire the best man or woman for the job and shove the stupidity with the rule changes up your arse...People will come around in time. ALL the rules in the world won't force change. PEOPLE DO..RELATIONSHIPS DO...now as far as the finer details of this rule propasal..Brian Daboll is HC material..so I agree with some of its premise. Guys need to be able to interview., Maybe I am misunderstanding this proposal. Maybe someone can explain it better to me.

Why are so many coaches if they hire the best?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The problem with this whole post is that it doesn't account for bias. The NFL was doing it that way forever, before the Rooney Rule and there was a problem. There are always guys like you who go on and on on how unfair the Rooney rule is, but never suggest any alternative methods to fix the problem. They just want the status quo, owners who hire people who they are "comfortable" with or remind them of themselves.

I don't know that the Rooney rule works. But there is definitely an issue when anyone who has just had a casual conversation with Sean McVay is head coaching material, but Eric Bienemy gets dinged for working with Andy Reid because Reid must be the person really running things. Or a hire like Joe Judge who had no head coaching or coordinator experience. That doesn't mean that he can't do the job, but a minority candidate would never get that same opportunity, there would be a long list of reasons he isn't qualified, or things he needs to do first before he is head coaching material.