Bills submit rule proposal to coaches/front office hiring cycle

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Couldn't possibly be that they are horrible interviewees, or they failed in previous head coaching opportunities, or they call somebody else's offensive plays, or there are more qualified people that made better impressions.
Right. They all just interview bad. And the same retread head coaches like Adam Gase interview so awesome that the crappy job as head coach multiple times does not matter.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I highly doubt jamming rules or tweaking the existing rule would do much. It will take good people to do the right thing and be unbias when they hire.
So the best thing is to just do nothing and hope that some day the same biased owners and their families who have all the power just change and meanwhile keep the same inequality decades along the way?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with this whole post is that it doesn't account for bias. The NFL was doing it that way forever, before the Rooney Rule and there was a problem. There are always guys like you who go on and on on how unfair the Rooney rule is, but never suggest any alternative methods to fix the problem. They just want the status quo, owners who hire people who they are "comfortable" with or remind them of themselves.

I don't know that the Rooney rule works. But there is definitely an issue when anyone who has just had a casual conversation with Sean McVay is head coaching material, but Eric Bienemy gets dinged for working with Andy Reid because Reid must be the person really running things. Or a hire like Joe Judge who had no head coaching or coordinator experience. That doesn't mean that he can't do the job, but a minority candidate would never get that same opportunity, there would be a long list of reasons he isn't qualified, or things he needs to do first before he is head coaching material.

Every off season is its own story. Bienemy gets dinged b/c people saw what happened to Josh McDaniels in Denver without Tom Brady. They look at Bienemy and see he's working with an offensive guru HC and the best QB in the NFL. So, how can anyone accurately judge how much of KCs success is Bienemy? IMO, the man will get his chance and this rule proposed by the Bill gives assistants on successful teams a better chance to land a job.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the best thing is to just do nothing and hope that some day the same biased owners and their families who have all the power just change and meanwhile keep the same inequality decades along the way?

Thats what happens when you own a business. You get to pick the folks you want to work with.......crazy thing.

if the NFL were a publicly traded company, an entirely different set of rules would be in play that have nothing to do with quality.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Every off season is its own story. Bienemy gets dinged b/c people saw what happened to Josh McDaniels in Denver without Tom Brady. They look at Bienemy and see he's working with an offensive guru HC and the best QB in the NFL. So, how can anyone accurately judge how much of KCs success is Bienemy? IMO, the man will get his chance and this rule proposed by the Bill gives assistants on successful teams a better chance to land a job.
He should get his chance the same way Adam Gase got his. Or Joe Judge. Or Nick Sirriani. Or Dan Campbell. Or Kliff Kingsbury. You actually illustrate my point for me. Eric Bienemy is getting dinged for one game. Kingsbury had no success in college. Dan Campbell and Gase have already failed multiple times. Joe Judge had no experience and was terrible last year. But Eric Bienemy had a bad game, so he blew his opportunity. Wait a minute, I thought Reid was really running the show? So why does Reid get the credit for the success and Bienemy is the one to blame for the bad game?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Thats what happens when you own a business. You get to pick the folks you want to work with.......crazy thing.

if the NFL were a publicly traded company, an entirely different set of rules would be in play that have nothing to do with quality.
Right, so because you own a business, you have no responsibility and shouldn't be held to a standard of equal opportunity? Got it. This is how you get to other issues in life like housing discrimination, because the owner of the building or property gets to do what they want.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should get his chance the same way Adam Gase got his. Or Joe Judge. Or Nick Sirriani. Or Dan Campbell. Or Kliff Kingsbury. You actually illustrate my point for me. Eric Bienemy is getting dinged for one game. Kingsbury had no success in college. Dan Campbell and Gase have already failed multiple times. Joe Judge had no experience and was terrible last year. But Eric Bienemy had a bad game, so he blew his opportunity. Wait a minute, I thought Reid was really running the show? So why does Reid get the credit for the success and Bienemy is the one to blame for the bad game?

No where did I say Biennmy got dinged for one game. You literally made that up. IF he is getting dinged, it b/c his success has come surrounded by Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes. You really think KC is not going to a super bowl without Bienemy? I'd argue he's irrelevant. You can put anyone at OC in KC and they will look like winners.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right, so because you own a business, you have no responsibility and shouldn't be held to a standard of equal opportunity? Got it. This is how you get to other issues in life like housing discrimination, because the owner of the building or property gets to do what they want.

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. Maybe we should just just nationalize the NFL and let the government run it b/c everything government run works so great. A businesses only obligation is to itself.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. Maybe we should just just nationalize the NFL and let the government run it b/c everything government run works so great. A businesses only obligation is to itself.
No the government doesn't get everything right. But they get some things right. Are you going to argue that the Fair Housing Act is government overreach or unnecessary?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
No where did I say Biennmy got dinged for one game. You literally made that up. IF he is getting dinged, it b/c his success has come surrounded by Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes. You really think KC is not going to a super bowl without Bienemy? I'd argue he's irrelevant. You can put anyone at OC in KC and they will look like winners.
Once again, you're making my point. You can find all the reasons you want to say that he's not qualified. Maybe he isn't. But that same effort into finding reasons to disqualify a candidate does not historically apply to all groups. You can spare me the one example of Marvin Lewis staying on forever. He won't get another shot

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No the government doesn't get everything right. But they get some things right. Are you going to argue that the Fair Housing Act is government overreach or unnecessary?

No, I would argue that is not a government program. It simply says you cannot discriminate. Ever been to a government subsidized housing project ? You wouldn't want to live there.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once again, you're making my point. You can find all the reasons you want to say that he's not qualified. Maybe he isn't. But that same effort into finding reasons to disqualify a candidate does not historically apply to all groups. You can spare me the one example of Marvin Lewis staying on forever. He won't get another shot

The best AA coach is Mike Tomlin and his top 3 coordinators are white. That tells me that he just wants the best coaches regardless of color and that's how it should be. It also tells you about the qaulity of black applicants for those jobs which directly relates to the how many get head coaching opportunities.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The best AA coach is Mike Tomlin and his top 3 coordinators are white. That tells me that he just wants the best coaches regardless of color and that's how it should be. It also tells you about the qaulity of black applicants for those jobs which directly relates to the how many get head coaching opportunities.
That's a poor narrative because it suggests that if one or more was a minority, he hired them for that reason and not because he thought they were the best. And you still haven't addressed the coaches that I specifically named, only rinse repeat on the qualifications of minority candidates. Once again, making my point for me.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a poor narrative because it suggests that if one or more was a minority, he hired them for that reason and not because he thought they were the best. And you still haven't addressed the coaches that I specifically named, only rinse repeat on the qualifications of minority candidates. Once again, making my point for me.

You like saying "making my point for me".......its as if you interpret everything through some weird lense. If you can't understand that Mike Tomlin of all people would be hiring AA coordinators if he saw fit, then I think we will just agree to disagree.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
You like saying "making my point for me".......its as if you interpret everything through some weird lense. If you can't understand that Mike Tomlin of all people would be hiring AA coordinators if he saw fit, then I think we will just agree to disagree.
Right, because if Mike Tomlin didn't hire them, that means they are unfit for any job.

:rolleyes:

aikemirv

Reaction score
I understand what the Bills are trying to do. That said, as a team with an opening on Dec 31st, I don't want to wait until February 8th to hire my coach if I am pretty sure I already know who I want and am not interested in any of those assistants.