News: Bo + Austin = the end for Rod Smith?

Rayman70

Reaction score
If this cat ever learns how to pass block and catch the ball, watch out! His best trait is his feet btw. A runner with great foot work thus knowing how to run through the trash can be very good. I dunno about his vision in the hole,but from the film Ive seen, and his games Ive watched, he has awesome footwork and knows how to adjust on the fly. Some backs just can't.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Our identity is as a power running team. Bo and Rod will both be on the roster. One may be inactive each week, but they will both be here if healthy.

vlad

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if Bo makes the team, way now surprised if rod does not.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I just want to see these 2 guys go out and compete for the job and let the chips fall as they may

blueblood70

Reaction score
No rods too good on ST and hes in spot he can play FB/RB/ST so hes set...Austin would be on the bubble should he start fumbling and not producing hed be cut first..

jrumann59

Reaction score
Bo plays faster that his combine times. But also in most of those highlights his blocking is phenomenal, his short yardage runs he hits his own lineman first before being touched by the opposing defense. Alabama is just head and shoulders above other programs from a talent perspective.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
It’s this simple: Rod can play special teams. Can Bo? Because he’s going to need to contribute on special teams to make the team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After Rod Smith proved himself as a "Swiss army knife" role player last year, I don't see him at risk of losing his job. Any contract matters mentioned in this article will have no bearing on that. Starting running backs are struggling to get paid, I'm not worried about paying a backup. And neither are the Cowboys.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Smith is already a better blocker than bo or austin. And unless something changes with austin smiths catching out of the backfield has produced superior results. I think austin gets mis utilized and linehan doesnt call his number much.

CWR

Reaction score
I dont buy into that at all. Rod Smith is under utilized and under valued. I think hes a better player than he gets credit for.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Smith is already a better blocker than bo or austin. And unless something changes with austin smiths catching out of the backfield has produced superior results. I think austin gets mis utilized and linehan doesnt call his number much.
yep. so far rod is getting it done with his opportunities. if bo can step up and push, great. but i'll wait and see.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
One thing's for sure; there will be some pretty heated competition this year for the RB spots. That's a good thing!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Absolutely not. Does not make sense at all. Dumb reporting.

Rod can run, pass protect, run block, catch out of the back field, and line up as a wide out. He can even return kick offs.
His down side is the same as Bo, one cut basically.
Bo can't do any of those other things that Rod does.

Bo until he shows us something in TC, and learns the other stuff is a PS play at best, for now.

Just because he was a draft pick, does not mean he s better. Darrius Jackson 2.0 at this point.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
a 7th round draft pick is the new god.

can we at least wait til the first pre season game?

Oh yeah, then after a few good runs in the 4th quarter against players worse than him...watch out...he will be right in line with the anointment oil moving up fast on Darrius Jackson.

DiResta

Reaction score
No he wasn't. We did not use a FB on 82% of Zeke's snaps in 2016.
the Cowboys have carried a fb every year since Garrett ran the offense
remember they kept 2 fullbacks last year with Keith and Rod Smith blowing peoples minds cutting the great Darius Jackson
Keith won the job and Rod found work beyond ST
they may have used Keith less last year with Dak but they will have an H back
its situational but still important enough that they will carry a fb guaranteed and why they traded for Olawale

oline refreshed - Zeke available - drafting blocking tightend - trade for fullback
to me that sounds like smashmouth football

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rod Smith is a Jag. I like his heart but he's really not great at anything.

Doesn't have to be great, just good and solid. Which he is. Go back and watch all he can do, and do well.
Bo has nothing at this point other than some power runs.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ok, if you really believe in a RB, and you drafted him in the 7th, its only one of two things, hes making the team or hes not. I would never PS a RB now a days because their shelf life is to short.

So, if this team brought him in, and its not just for a camp body, i think he should make the team, but in order to do that, someone has to go immediately.

Personally i wouldnt use Austin as a RB unless for the one time gadget play here or there.

I would line up Zeke, and Bo as the RBs, Oswale or whateer as the FB, and as much as i like Rod Smith, hes gone because Bo is coming in stronger and cheaper.

Lets go back to pushing defenses around.

Bo does one thing, run with one cut...Rod does multiple things, like a good 5 more roles than what Bo can do at this point.

DiResta

Reaction score
run, pass protect, run block, catch out of the back field, and line up as a wide out. He can even return kick offs.
my argument is
Olawale can also do these things, hes even played wr...
so do they carry 5 including Austin or do they list him as wr