News: Bo + Austin = the end for Rod Smith?

DiResta

Reaction score
Bo does one thing, run with one cut...Rod does multiple things, like a good 5 more roles than what Bo can do at this point.
when you watch him he reminds me of Julius Jones, the way he will run right up into the backs of his blockers
people compare him to Brandon Jacobs but thats ridiculous
Jacobs was 6'4' 260lbs
Bo is 6'1" 230lbs

DiResta

Reaction score
thre is no deciding, i dont get the concept of "having the answer" and still thinking, well, do i have the right answer.

we arent talented enough to carry 3 qbs. Neither QB is going to give us a weeks time. I like Cooper, but we all know he didnt have a great long throw. If Mike White brings a bit more, or a better development, run with him and thank Rush for all hes done.

this is a no brainer, we dont have time to develop two qbs, we suck with back up qbs as it is, bringing in more isnt making the situation better.
i think you are right on this and i do follow your reasons for not keeping 3
im torn because despite the arm strength Cooper looked great and took full advantage of his opportunities (against jags though)
i think he was highest performing qb through preseason..

having been on the roster i dont think hes PS eligible and White looks like he may be capable but who knows?

my dream is to have a developmental qb with trade value, these guys are worth gold

reddyuta

Reaction score
Bo is way more athletic than Rod, let's see how this sneaked out.

marchetta

Reaction score
Bo Scarborough RB Alabama

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

Bo reminds me of two running backs in the past, former Giants RB Brandon Jacobs and former Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans RB Eddie George. He is big and fast and runs with good power to break tackles. He is a one speed, type of running back and although he is big, he gets up to his top speed quickly. He shows good enough hands to be used as a check down receiver and when he breaks the line of scrimmage and is in open space, because of his size and speed, he is trouble for smaller defensive backs to take down. There is a ton of talent in a body just made to play football but as I always say, it takes more than talent to play in the NFL.

CONCERNS
Bo like Eddie George is an upright running back and that means he will be susceptible to some very important concerns…fumbling and of course injuries. The biggest question is does Bo have the mental stamina and mental strength to take the pounding at the next level? Can Bo play when he is hurting? Workout warriors are usually “overly” concerned about their bodies and what the repercussions are for their bodies.

BOTTOM LINE
Bo is a perfect running back if your team uses zone run blocking scheme very much like former Giants running back Brandon Jacobs. When Bo gets past he line of scrimmage, he is a punishing running back because of his speed and size. That being said, Bo works well outside the tackles better than he runs up the middle because of his upright style of running. When he is running up the middle, before he gets up a head of steam linebackers in the middle of the field can meet him and stand him upright and nullify his impact. The difference is, when Eddie George was playing the linebackers were bigger and running between the tackles was difficult. If Bo can learn to lower his pads when running between the tackles he will run right over those smaller hybrid linebackers that are adept at coverage duties but as far as meeting big backs at the line of scrimmage and defeating them, that is not as likely to happen. Things go in cycles when it comes to the NFL, and teams that draft these big, fast, running backs and match them up against the new smaller defenses are going to start going to the playoffs and the Super bowl in the next few years. When that happens you will see teams go back to looking for linebackers who are bigger and can tackle and shed blocks. Bo is just the type of running back who if he has the “mental toughness to compete” will bring that about. If Bo is selected in the later rounds, he could be one of the steals of this draft.

-Drew Boylhart (The Huddle Report) [PARAPHRASED]

DiResta

Reaction score
Bo Scarborough RB Alabama

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

Bo reminds me of two running backs in the past, former Giants RB Brandon Jacobs and former Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans RB Eddie George. He is big and fast and runs with good power to break tackles. He is a one speed, type of running back and although he is big, he gets up to his top speed quickly. He shows good enough hands to be used as a check down receiver and when he breaks the line of scrimmage and is in open space, because of his size and speed, he is trouble for smaller defensive backs to take down. There is a ton of talent in a body just made to play football but as I always say, it takes more than talent to play in the NFL.

CONCERNS
Bo like Eddie George is an upright running back and that means he will be susceptible to some very important concerns…fumbling and of course injuries. The biggest question is does Bo have the mental stamina and mental strength to take the pounding at the next level? Can Bo play when he is hurting? Workout warriors are usually “overly” concerned about their bodies and what the repercussions are for their bodies.

BOTTOM LINE
Bo is a perfect running back if your team uses zone run blocking scheme very much like former Giants running back Brandon Jacobs. When Bo gets past he line of scrimmage, he is a punishing running back because of his speed and size. That being said, Bo works well outside the tackles better than he runs up the middle because of his upright style of running. When he is running up the middle, before he gets up a head of steam linebackers in the middle of the field can meet him and stand him upright and nullify his impact. The difference is, when Eddie George was playing the linebackers were bigger and running between the tackles was difficult. If Bo can learn to lower his pads when running between the tackles he will run right over those smaller hybrid linebackers that are adept at coverage duties but as far as meeting big backs at the line of scrimmage and defeating them, that is not as likely to happen. Things go in cycles when it comes to the NFL, and teams that draft these big, fast, running backs and match them up against the new smaller defenses are going to start going to the playoffs and the Super bowl in the next few years. When that happens you will see teams go back to looking for linebackers who are bigger and can tackle and shed blocks. Bo is just the type of running back who if he has the “mental toughness to compete” will bring that about. If Bo is selected in the later rounds, he could be one of the steals of this draft.

-Drew Boylhart (The Huddle Report) [PARAPHRASED]
again this is ridiculous
Jacobs measured at the combine 6'4" 267lbs and ran a low 4.5
Bo is the same size as Zeke

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

It'll be interesting to see if they count Austin against the RB group of the WR group.

He's their replacement for Dunbar, Whitehead, Swtizer .... so it could go either way IMO and probably depends on who looks good at either spot.

If Scarbrough looks good, then keeping Austin might cost a WR a spot. If Scarbrough looks like a PS player, then Austin ends up taking the third RB spot.

So either:
Elliott, Smith, Scarbrough
Hurns, Williams, Beasley, Gallup, Austin and/or one of Thompson/Brown/Wilson/Lenoir/Cannon
or
Elliott, Smith, Austin
Hurns, Williams, Beasley, Gallup and one or two from Thompson/Brown/Wilson/Lenoir/Cannon

ShiningStar

Reaction score
i think you are right on this and i do follow your reasons for not keeping 3
im torn because despite the arm strength Cooper looked great and took full advantage of his opportunities (against jags though)
i think he was highest performing qb through preseason..

having been on the roster i dont think hes PS eligible and White looks like he may be capable but who knows?

my dream is to have a developmental qb with trade value, these guys are worth gold

cant argue, thank you for other view to look at.

Yes Cooper took advantage, i think he is PS allowed, but PS is almost death now a days and id rather let the guy go and test the market for a team in need a full time back up.

I share your dream.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see any chance Smith doesn't make the team because he is the only well rounded backup that could step in if Elliott went down. Bo is strictly a power runner with very limited ability as a receiver, and Austin is primarily a receiver who couldn't handle the bulk of the running load.

cern

Reaction score
smith is good at multiple things. runs well, blocks well, outstanding on special teams. it will be very difficult for anyone to unseat him. jmo keeping 4 rb's is not unheard of, even for the cowboys.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
After reading some of these posts, it makes me think there was a coffee break where CowboyZone supplied the ganja, and I didn't get the Lotus Notes.

I mean Smith had five touchdowns in two games last year I believe.