Bo Scarbrough's 30yd run

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys looked like ragdolls bouncing off him
Not a single player bounced off him on that run. He was untouched the first 15 yards and was tackled by the lone Cowboy that got a hand on him.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This run brought back my PTSD from the Packers and Vikings games where teams were gashing us repeatedly between the RDE and DT. We can claim scheme is the problem and it partly is. But on nearly every one of those big runs we had Covington getting blown up by a single G or C. And on this run Covington is again blown off the line opening a massive hole for the RB. Armstrong takes the outside rush and is easily taken out if the play. At the 3:30 mark
None of this is correct on the long run, not even close. Here's a much better take:

Covington slides a bit, but he's in the gap he's attacking. The problem is that either it's a blitz and Jaylon has coverage, as stated, or one of the two LBs was WAY wrong.

If not for the blitz or a misread, there is an unlbocked LB sitting right in the hole. I think Lee is in the wrong gap, b/c Covington crosses the LG's face and the two are in the same gap. It's possible Covington wasn't suppose to cross, but we don't know the playcall.

Either way, this isn't an issue of the 1T getting pushed. It's an issue with LBs not filling gaps (either through slow recognition or the playcall), as has been the case all season. A 1T does not fix anything based on what we see here.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I am so sick of us mass substituting on the line. I don't think Armstrong, Covington and Hyder are terrible backups, but they are backups and never should all be in there together at the same time.
Tell that to Rod “coach them up” Marinelli.

btw, any news on where Tristan Hill is?

ondaedg

Reaction score
None of this is correct on the long run, not even close. Here's a much better take:

Covington slides a bit, but he's in the gap he's attacking. The problem is that either it's a blitz and Jaylon has coverage, as stated, or one of the two LBs was WAY wrong.

If not for the blitz or a misread, there is an unlbocked LB sitting right in the hole. I think Lee is in the wrong gap, b/c Covington crosses the LG's face and the two are in the same gap. It's possible Covington wasn't suppose to cross, but we don't know the playcall. I don't see Lee being

Either way, this isn't an issue of the 1T getting pushed. It's an issue with LBs not filling gaps (either through slow recognition or the playcall), as has been the case all season. A 1T does not fix anything based on what we see here.

That last gif of the play does tell a different story. It makes no sense why Covington would be attacking that gap so far outside and expect Bennett to fight through the guard to plug the 1t hole. Lee is sitting where you would expect him to sit if Covington is shooting the correct gap.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That last gif of the play does tell a different story. It makes no sense why Covington would be attacking that gap so far outside and expect Bennett to fight through the guard to plug the 1t hole. Lee is sitting where you would expect him to sit if Covington is shooting the correct gap.
Edge rush and slant away is a regular playcall. It's tough to ask the other DT to cross the center's face, but even if he does, there's an uncovered gap when Jaylon bails.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Here is a screenshot the moment Bo hits the line.

This is exactly what the Vikings and the Packers (and the Rams) did to us repeatedly. They have to clean this up.

Does it look like Jaylon hasn't even noticed that the ball was snapped?
And where is 55 going? Is he rushing the passer? That screenshot says a lot. 54 is covering who exactly? The receiver who is waiting for the ball to be snapped? LOL

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Covington is less than a back up Jag and our run d will continue to get exposed until we get a real 1-Tech out there...

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
This run brought back my PTSD from the Packers and Vikings games where teams were gashing us repeatedly between the RDE and DT. We can claim scheme is the problem and it partly is. But on nearly every one of those big runs we had Covington getting blown up by a single G or C. And on this run Covington is again blown off the line opening a massive hole for the RB. Armstrong takes the outside rush and is easily taken out if the play. At the 3:30 mark.

Hyder and Covington on the field together = gaping holes in the run game. It's so bad, I could see this being an automatic audible for Brady to a running play on Sunday.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Hyder and Covington on the field together = gaping holes in the run game. It's so bad, I could see this being an automatic audible for Brady to a running play on Sunday.

It is no coincidence that Aaron Jones had 3tds running right at Covington. Armstrong is a liability as well.

ondaedg

Reaction score
some must admit Tcrawford made a difference regardless of his contract..hes been missed..seems like Collins/woods are doing well when in but teams seem to recognize when they arent and run right in that gap..but really missed tackles and arm tackling are an issue for the young wilson/Thompson whi played a lot and maybe heath was better as well..

admit it its tough I know but we miss those layers who are known targets around here..lol

I think we were better (not great) against the run with Crawford.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
This run brought back my PTSD from the Packers and Vikings games where teams were gashing us repeatedly between the RDE and DT. We can claim scheme is the problem and it partly is. But on nearly every one of those big runs we had Covington getting blown up by a single G or C. And on this run Covington is again blown off the line opening a massive hole for the RB. Armstrong takes the outside rush and is easily taken out if the play. At the 3:30 mark.

In addition, Dallas had 8 men in the box haha. I thought 8 men in the box ALWAYS stuffs a run? Not if you have good OL blocking......lol

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He wasn't blown up so much as he immediately at the snap dipped his left shoulder into the defender to try to go around him. Neither DT was tacking on the Center who stayed in for a split second before blocking the LB. Seems teams know when both our Dt's line up at 3T, they have a Center uncovered and the middle will be open. One of these Dt's needs to put hands on both guard and center. Even the golden boy hayden would occupy 2 OL, even without much push he wouldn't allow them to block a LB.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Here is a screenshot the moment Bo hits the line.

This is exactly what the Vikings and the Packers (and the Rams) did to us repeatedly. They have to clean this up.

Does it look like Jaylon hasn't even noticed that the ball was snapped?
Yep, on that play I see Marinelli's cancer effecting us again. He has Covington slanting to his right which helps the OL block him even further to the right creating that enormous hole. There is ZERO reason to be stunting Marinelli :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Then, Jaylon Smith reacts slow as molasses to the play, he apparently doesn't realize it is a run play till Bo is at the LOS. Way too late. The scheme Marinelli puts out on the field is garbage. It puts the defense in bad positions over and over again. It is tiring watching the DL stunt themselves out of a play. It is stupid.

ondaedg

Reaction score
He wasn't blown up so much as he immediately at the snap dipped his left shoulder into the defender to try to go around him. Neither DT was tacking on the Center who stayed in for a split second before blocking the LB. Seems teams know when both our Dt's line up at 3T, they have a Center uncovered and the middle will be open. One of these Dt's needs to put hands on both guard and center. Even the golden boy hayden would occupy 2 OL, even without much push he wouldn't allow them to block a LB.

Yep. The gif Future linked to showed Covington immediately slant to the outside which puts pressure on Bennett to slide over from the 1 to fill that gap while taking on a blocker. The play call makes no sense at all as it creates a giant hole where the 3t was which is exactly where he ran through. And it allows two OL to get to the linebackers. Mind boggling.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Yep, on that play I see Marinelli's cancer effecting us again. He has Covington slanting to his right which helps the OL block him even further to the right creating that enormous hole. There is ZERO reason to be stunting Marinelli :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Then, Jaylon Smith reacts slow as molasses to the play, he apparently doesn't realize it is a run play till Bo is at the LOS. Way too late. The scheme Marinelli puts out on the field is garbage. It puts the defense in bad positions over and over again. It is tiring watching the DL stunt themselves out of a play. It is stupid.

1000% agree. I gotta believe that Covington screwed up and shot the wrong gap else why would Lee be off the DE?