Twitter: Bob Sturm breaks down Jabril Cox's coverage ability

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I hate seeing all these expectations heaped on a rookie 4th rounder. Yeah, he played at LSU but they sucked last year. He was a good player on a bad defense. He's not going to come here and instantly be a star. If he works hard and continues improving, he might be a good player.
Correct overview. We are still waiting for several DL to mature and get with their careers.
I love this guys under cheap contracts for 4+ years talk - that is UNTIL THEY HOLD OUT AND EXTORT THEIR FRANCHISE like Zeke did.
Is that what you think. Extortion.These players have agents and they know what the teams can afford. It's not what you think. If so..you must think Dak is a highway bandit.

Zman5

Reaction score
Long Twitter thread, so I won't post the whole thing for the sake of space. Just click on the tweet and go from there.

This is Cox in man coverage versus a future 1st round Texas A&M TE, and he handles him all game. This dude just gets coverage. He has a feel and understanding of it that most rookies simply don't, definitely not most 4th rounders.

Cox in man, covering tight ends?

Wait, I thought the Zone was a family friendly site.

Mannix

Reaction score
-------LVE and Jaylon better bring it this year. Their playing time is in jeopardy.

I think Jaclyn's agent is probably no dummy, and has let her know that she needs to ball out this season. I think she go's all out this season....fools everyone....and then goes back to protecting the leg and making business decisions next year.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Correct overview. We are still waiting for several DL to mature and get with their careers.

Is that what you think. Extortion.These players have agents and they know what the teams can afford. It's not what you think. If so..you must think Dak is a highway bandit.
Lawrence and Zeke both extorted the Cowboys and should’ve been told to pound sand. Dak did as well but not to the extent the other two knuckleheads did.

JBond

Reaction score
Jaylon was meh and on a downward slide since 2018. I would have cut his snaps last year and played more of Gifford and Bernard. Replacing his quality of play simply wasn't hard, even if it took a step up from Gifford and Bernard. Even before the draft, he was going to lose his nickel snaps to Neal, and rightly so. Jaylon is a liability in coverage. A liability in run defense. Shoulda moved on earlier.
I am excited we have some bigger guys that can run and cover. A different LB room for sure.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I am excited we have some bigger guys that can run and cover. A different LB room for sure.

If we just had Parsons, Neal, and Cox, I'd be happy with them as the starters.

I still have some hope for LVE. He could cover, and he's our biggest LB. Best outcome is LVE returns to form, and he and Parsons are our 90% LBs. Two big, athletic LBs who can cover.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He's great in coverage but not very good against the run.
I rather him be the way he is rather than the opposite of that. Cant teach natural cover ability, but you can teach tackling. THAT can be coached up. With him I think if he changes his mindset and has the want to to be a good run stopper, he will. Gonna take him changing how he thinks and a good coach to get that out of him. Quinn will do that.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Long Twitter thread, so I won't post the whole thing for the sake of space. Just click on the tweet and go from there.

This is Cox in man coverage versus a future 1st round Texas A&M TE, and he handles him all game. This dude just gets coverage. He has a feel and understanding of it that most rookies simply don't, definitely not most 4th rounders.

Outstanding !

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Posting the ridiculous doesn't help the argument. Clearly Jaylon, while disappointing, is much better than that, and if the team wanted to replace him why would their goal be to replace him with a bum, or even a similar level player rather than a quality draft pick they hoped would improve the position?

Replace him with a bum? The dude IS a bum. Don't know what team you were watching if you didn't see that.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I've seen Jabril Cox make some excellent plays with some solid tackles. He just needs to improve his consistency to get his due respect as an all-around excellent LB. He certainly wouldn't be the 1st college LB to do so. I like his chances. Capable coaching should help his cause a great deal. It just takes time and effort to get there. I think it's fair to say he's likely to be given that opportunity. It's not like he's that far off, as it now stands.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
A lot of fans are fickle nowdays.

There's no doubt but what that's fair to say! Too many of us are anxious to be the first to predict failure. Jabril will be successful, as long as he's willing to put forth the effort. That's never been a problem for him so far! Everything about him indicates that he's a keeper. . . :)

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Barring an amazing offer, it's now being said that LVE will be retained to afford the defense with some help to play defense. It's fair to say, injury has been a real culprit to LVE finding success far more than he has. Let's hope his health returns to afford him what's needed to redeem himself. We'll see if Mother Nature is finally willing to permit it to be granted. Maybe getting more capable run support by the DL might spark that occurrence? Let's hope so!

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Replace him with a bum? The dude IS a bum. Don't know what team you were watching if you didn't see that.
You apparently are so intent on being upset at a player for not being what you expect that you think the point of replacing him would be spite rather than to improve the position with a better player. Replacing him with just anyone because you are butt hurt makes no sense.