Twitter: Boomer Esiason on Dak

Status
Not open for further replies.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
If defenses want to continue the Jags' strategy of playing man and not putting a spy on Dak, he'll keeping running early and often. If defenses want to continue the Jags' strategy of trying to get pressure by simply winning one-on-one at the line, instead of taking advantage of Frederick's absence by running more stunts and blitzing more often, this OL can handle that.

But if defenses want to go back to what worked against the Cowboys in the first five games, this offense has a challenge ahead of it.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Instead of listening to what former QB's say about Dak, focus on how they generally side step the issues of accuracy & reading defenses. What someone doesn't say often tells you more than what they do say.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He gains confidence running the football and that helps him make the throws he needs to make.... Proven in his rookie year. . Trying to completely change the way he plays really hurts the whole offense.
That's the thing is I don't believe it's the coaches telling him not to run. I think it's Dak trying to prove to himself, and everyone else, that he's a pass-first QB and doesn't need to rely on his legs to be successful.

Hopefully the JAX woke him up and reminded Dak of the success he/the team can have if he uses his legs to keep the defense honest.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Plus, Dak is usually smart with his runs. He's not Cam or young RGIII who have no idea how to get out of dodge. Dak slides will and avoids the big hit.

With his lack of arm talent, Dak HAS TO run in order for us to consistently have success.

FalseStart75Pozderac

Reaction score
I believe that devising an offensive game plan around Dak's strength (running, out of pocket movement) is fine for now, but eventually it will run its course and it will be ineffective unless Dak develops in other areas.
With that being said, and by the fact that Dak is only 25 years old with 2.5 years of experience, does he have an upside?

I believe that a QB's psyche is the most frail psyche in football. And its not totally their fault either. Too much credit when they win, too much blame when they lose, many times the face of the franchise. A shell-shocked or a QB with a lack of confidence will never grow, they will continue to regress (see David/Derek Carr, Jim Everett, 2018 Eli). Mechanics become more shaky, they develop happy feet, cant pull the trigger on throws, inaccuracy, aiming the ball("pressing"), etc. I really think that the Atlanta game last year had that type of negative impact on Dak. Unfortunately some QBs never recover, my question is, can Dak get to a point where he can settle down, improve on in-game mechanics, and truly progress into a complete QB?

silvrNblue

Reaction score
A mobile QB is a great threat, he is correct. However we spent the number 4 overall pick on a rb. We need a guy to stand in the pocket and make accurate down the field throws.
Riiight, and with the way this oline has been blocking, Dak stands a better chance of running then sitting down in a collapsing pocket every passing down...I must have misread the OP post header, didn't realize I stepped into YET another Dak sucks post.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
my question is, can Dak get to a point where he can settle down, improve on in-game mechanics, and truly progress into a complete QB?
Well, skippy, let me whip out my trusty crystal bally and I'll have that answer for ya in 3, 2, 1....ok, well maybe in a year or two.... seeing as that's about how long it takes for ANY QB to actually develop into "THAT' top notch kill em QB.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me but it seems the better Dak start, the better he plays if that makes any sense.

raichledog

Reaction score
This is not an anti Dak statement, so please don't go there. I think it is funny that Boomer said that, "He's not very accurate..." but that he would be ok with him being the face of the franchise. That seems so backwards. I think back to what Aikman said last week about how the #1 most important quality of a qb in the NFL is accuracy. Everything else is secondary to being able to put the ball where you want it time and time again.

Just interesting to see the difference in opinion of 2 former qb's

raichledog

Reaction score
He is smart enough to know that standing in the pocket wins games? Seriously you going to stay with that.

Dak

13-2
9-7
3-3

Looks like he is winning games just fine

Not to be contrarian but those numbers seem to be trending in the wrong direction... just saying.

dfense

Reaction score
Don't know why the coaches weren't using him like this to begin with. There were times in the last few games that Dak could have run but didn't.
They've only had him use the run option in a couple games this year because you can bet the Skins will have a guy sitting their all game long waiting for it. Then it's 3rd and 11.

I don't know what the Jags plan was. Don't bracket their best slot receiver, play loose zone and don't rush the QB. That worked good for them.

lopey

Reaction score
Because you can't have a QB running too much, it will eventually wear them down and leave them open for some big shots.
With the new rules on hitting QB's it might not be as bad as it once was...I hope lol

Kaiser

Reaction score
Seattle didn't think this way with Wilson and they got a SB.

That is a great point, you don't have to fit a specific mold in order to win games. Wilson isn't the Payton Manning prototype but he has a Super Bowl ring. I think some people get too caught up in fitting the mold, if Emmitt Smith ran a 4.4 he would have been the first pick of the draft but he still became a HOF player.

I think Boomer's point is that Dak will never have the pinpoint accuracy that Aikman did, but he can still be a very good QB. His accuracy can be "good enough" and he will still beat you with the other parts of his game and still provide a ton of leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.