Twitter: Boomer Esiason on Dak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don’t think a few runs a game is too much risk
His ability to run is another weapon, I think it gets him going as a passer and pumps up those around him

Totally agree, also the main point on him running is you don't want him getting hurt. But who is going to take more punishment, Eli Manning standing in the pocket and getting sacked 3 or 4 times - or Dak escaping pressure and getting dragged down by a DB after a 10 yard scramble?

The answer is the less mobile pocket QB.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
A mobile QB is a great threat, he is correct. However we spent the number 4 overall pick on a rb. We need a guy to stand in the pocket and make accurate down the field throws.

If and when that running back picked at number 4 is used properly along with a mobile QB , the results can be deadly and almost impossible to stop..........

Sydla

Reaction score
Why is that funny?

The same stupid logic some used to try to undermine Aikman's commentary about Dak.

Once Aikman had some not so awesome and great things to say about Dak, suddenly Aikman wasn't a great QB, he wasn't that accurate, etc.

In other words, stupid people are gonna stupid.

khiladi

Reaction score
So he’s basically like pretty much every NFL back-up in history. A good athlete that can play street-ball..

Guys that don’t present problems consistently for defenses in the long run, but as a back-up and change of pace, fine for a few games..

Not sure how this is praise. You want Boomer to say, “this dude sucks.. can’t understand why he hasn’t been benched yet?” He even qualified it with
he can’t pass and throw accurately and if he plays like he did yesterday...”

well, that’s not saying much.. so we want a RB as a QB now?

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Because you can't have a QB running too much, it will eventually wear them down and leave them open for some big shots.
If we don't let Dak use his legs as much as he should, he won't be in the league long enough to get worn down.

It would be like trying to turn a bruiser RB who gets 5+YPC into a finesse RB who only gets 3.5 YPC just to extend his career a year or two. It ends up hurting the team.

khiladi

Reaction score
That whole "Dak is inaccurate" crap just started this year along with "he can't throw the deep ball". Even last year I didn't hear about his inaccuracy.

Wrong.. it was a topic of conversation and ‘improving his accuracy’ and the mechanics that led to it was the biggest ‘plan’ this off-season for him individually... even with all the spinning by thehomers, looking for stats trying to convince his critics otherwise, such as the “one yard away from a defender” stat as an example of a tight window,

“Dak Prescott is far from a perfect quarterback and he's constantly bashed about his throwing accuracy.”

https://insidethestar.com/dak-prescotts-accuracy-stands-final-2017-stats/

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is really not a case of what they want to do but what they have to do. He is more effective when he can play that dual threat role and for whatever the odd reason, he is actually more accurate passing when he's in dual threat mode.

The challenge is injury because the QB protection rules do not apply but even larger than that is do they want to have a dual threat QB as their franchise QB? If they do make him that, they better have a top backup QB, not these two humps they have now.

He's had two games this season when he used his legs well and now the film is there for the DC's to see how to best curb that and at the same time account for the RB. Not an easy task if the OC can take advantage of that. I know the Cowboys have always had trouble with those dual threat QB's going back to Cunningham to McNabb and Young. However, I think those 3 were more accurate than Dak has shown.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is really not a case of what they want to do but what they have to do. He is more effective when he can play that dual threat role and for whatever the odd reason, he is actually more accurate passing when he's in dual threat mode.

The challenge is injury because the QB protection rules do not apply but even larger than that is do they want to have a dual threat QB as their franchise QB? If they do make him that, they better have a top backup QB, not these two humps they have now.

He's had two games this season when he used his legs well and now the film is there for the DC's to see how to best curb that and at the same time account for the RB. Not an easy task if the OC can take advantage of that. I know the Cowboys have always had trouble with those dual threat QB's going back to Cunningham to McNabb and Young. However, I think those 3 were more accurate than Dak has shown.
I think what they need to do is run him, but much less. Let it be surprising when he runs. Have him run just enough to keep the defense on their toes, but not enough to make them prepare for it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That whole "Dak is inaccurate" crap just started this year along with "he can't throw the deep ball". Even last year I didn't hear about his inaccuracy.
Why do you think he's never beaten out the QB1 and it took injuries to get him in as the starter? Why do you think he was the 7th QB taken and 3rd choice of the team that took him? Why do you think he was not rated higher than the 4th by anyone?

I watched a lot of Dak at Miss St and when he came up against D's that tried to force him into being a pocket passer like AL, AU and LSU, he struggled. He wants to be that now because that's where the money is but he is not consistently accurate enough to be the NFL prototypical pocket passing QB.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
What do you think Dak's stats would've been if he QB'd the Bengals teams Boomer led?.... Probably a lot worse, I think.

In that era, Dak wouldn’t even win a game. His type were a dime a dozen and riding the pine. Randall Cunningham was a million times better athlete than this dude at running the ball and could sling it the whole field and couldn’t garner anything but decent success.

khiladi

Reaction score
The read option is dictated by the defense, like Linehan says. The Panthers game, their defense played the read option defensively and didn’t afford much for Dallas to utilize it and in the Giants game, I believe 5 of his seven times came off the last scoring drive when the Giants were just run blitzing every time to try and force a TO, while being down.

People pretend like it’s just a matter of giving Dak the read option as if defenses can’t stop it and aren’t stopping it regularly. And defenses in the NFL are just as fast also. And it’s definitely not working when Zeke isn’t in the backfield where defenses key in on him.

khiladi

Reaction score

He’s more accurate because it simplifies the reads for him and he doesn’t have to process the field much. It’s why he throws better on the bootleg. Because when he’s rolling out he’s only looking at one side of the field and the WRs are often-times running with him.

Meaning he’s your prototypical backup that’s a dime a dozen. He’s a streetball QB that gets around on athleticism. But in the NFL, everybody is athletic.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's the problem right there - sooner or later - BOOM.
Yep but look at how many get injured in the pocket. Has Rothliesberger ever had an injury that wasn't him standing in the pocket? And Wilson's have come from having his feet in an awkward position.

There are QB's that have the run gene, they know how to get the most of the run and get down or out safely and Dak has shown that as long as he's played the game. And it's not Dak's running they need as much as the threat to make the DC's adjust their game plan. They need to run him to establish that threat and it seems that when he is allowed to run, he becomes the more complete QB and his confidence grows within the game. And he's as good at timing his slide as any in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.