Twitter: Boomer Esiason on Dak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He’s more accurate because it simplifies the reads for him and he doesn’t have to process the field much. It’s why he throws better on the bootleg. Because when he’s rolling out he’s only looking at one side of the field and the WRs are often-times running with him.

Meaning he’s your prototypical backup that’s a dime a dozen. He’s a streetball QB that gets around on athleticism. But in the NFL, everybody is athletic.
I think it may also be that when he's on the run, he doesn't over think it and get nervous, so he's more accurate. Like when you have a balled up piece of paper in your hand and spot a wastebasket, and you just instinctively toss it in from ten or fifteen feet away.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stupidity mainly.
Or they don't want a square peg as QB1 and pay him 20+M a season.

To me it's simple, If they want this season to matter, they have no choice but to use him as the dual threat. Then, they can decide what they want to do going forward.

To me, Dak is the perfect QB....to be a backup. A backup, not only dependent on his arm, is a great thing to have but I don't know if he's going to go for backup $. I think this is going to come down to keep him or lose him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think it may also be that when he's on the run, he doesn't over think it and get nervous, so he's more accurate. Like when you have a balled up piece of paper in your hand and spot a wastebasket, and you just instinctively toss it in from ten or fifteen feet away.

LOL............ Come on, "like when you have a piece of paper in your hand"? You know what you are really saying here is like when you are standing in your garage and you have an empty beer can in your hand.........

:laugh: :thumbup:

khiladi

Reaction score

That’s exactly what it is, which is why he’s just a dime a dozen. What makes a QB is his ability to process the whole field and make decisions and anticipate WRs being open.

I mean watch the play in Seattle where Zeke stepped out of bounds. That ‘mistake’ by Zeke masked how bad Dak is at it. It should have never even gotten to that point because Dak had Beasley wide open in intermediate fir the first and he was looking directly at him. Instead he just breaks pocket and then Zeke sees it and starts to fade off his flat route as a checkdown:

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Or they don't want a square peg as QB1 and pay him 20+M a season.

To me it's simple, If they want this season to matter, they have no choice but to use him as the dual threat. Then, they can decide what they want to do going forward.

To me, Dak is the perfect QB....to be a backup. A backup, not only dependent on his arm, is a great thing to have but I don't know if he's going to go for backup $. I think this is going to come down to keep him or lose him.
I must be drinking the same brand beverage as you Coach because I was thinking almost the same exact thing. Prescott is good when he's a Randall Cunningham type of QB, or a Donovan McPuke. He's not a pocket passer. He would be a good backup and frankly, this team could have used him when Romo went down a few years ago and they had to rely on Weeden and Cassell; and let's not forget Moore.

I don't think Jerry should give him a big contract. I do think they should look to drafting an actual QB that can run but is not only more of a pocket passer, but also has pocket awareness and can read the defenses and has good progression while in the pocket. Dak is ok but without his ability to constantly be mobile, he's just another average QB who has good games and bad games.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need to win. I don't care if that's throwing it down field or scrambling for 1st downs. JMO
Yep, take what they have and try to make the most out of that. A lot easier than trying to change what they already have,

I know the concerns, what if he gets injured? But, what if he doesn't run? I'd take my chances with the injury, he's a robust lad and a smart runner and I think they have a better season with him running than trying to keep him healthy. It was the man's legs that got him on the Heisman list and even Saban's team had trouble with him when he went dual threat mode.

NFL defenses are built around having the QB in a stationary place, they devise their pas rush and blitzes around that. His running throws a kink in that just as it did to us against McNabb and it's not just Rodgers' arm that has beaten us, it's his legs as well. Some QB's have that and some don't, Dak does, use it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
LOL............ Come on, "like when you have a piece of paper in your hand"? You know what you are really saying here is like when you are standing in your garage and you have an empty beer can in your hand.........

:laugh: :thumbup:
LMAO.....Ya got me .....or you would have, if I drank beer. Lol

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yep, take what they have and try to make the most out of that. A lot easier than trying to change what they already have,

I know the concerns, what if he gets injured? But, what if he doesn't run? I'd take my chances with the injury, he's a robust lad and a smart runner and I think they have a better season with him running than trying to keep him healthy. It was the man's legs that got him on the Heisman list and even Saban's team had trouble with him when he went dual threat mode.

NFL defenses are built around having the QB in a stationary place, they devise their pas rush and blitzes around that. His running throws a kink in that just as it did to us against McNabb and it's not just Rodgers' arm that has beaten us, it's his legs as well. Some QB's have that and some don't, Dak does, use it.

Have to say, and understand I'm more of a Classic Passing Game guy, I think you are right. I mean, defensively, I know you are right. NFL has been this for years. But with respects to Dak, I think you gotta look at this kid and say, I have 5 or 6 years of him being able to play this style of football and then he's probably done. This is why I never understood why the Cowboys did what they did with the back QB situation. I mean, to me it was clear as Spring Water, you gotta have a backup who can win games for you because if you want to win, you gotta have Dak running the ball. I just look back know and I seriously wonder if the team just never really looked at that. I mean, it's the only thing that makes sense if you look at what we did at Backup QB.

Crazy!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Because you can't have a QB running too much, it will eventually wear them down and leave them open for some big shots.
I see QB hanging in the pocket taking big shots. At least when he runs it seems to help him get into the game. I don't want Dak challenging defenders, I want him to slide or get out of bounds but there have been many pocket passers who take big shots.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I must be drinking the same brand beverage as you Coach because I was thinking almost the same exact thing. Prescott is good when he's a Randall Cunningham type of QB, or a Donovan McPuke. He's not a pocket passer. He would be a good backup and frankly, this team could have used him when Romo went down a few years ago and they had to rely on Weeden and Cassell; and let's not forget Moore.

I don't think Jerry should give him a big contract. I do think they should look to drafting an actual QB that can run but is not only more of a pocket passer, but also has pocket awareness and can read the defenses and has good progression while in the pocket. Dak is ok but without his ability to constantly be mobile, he's just another average QB who has good games and bad games.
Quick, I don't think this will be as much about what the Cowboys want as what Dak and his agent want.

When he was a junior, dual threat got him on the Heisman list but he knew he had to get his pocket rating up for the draft coupled with the fact that the better SEC D's were trying to keep him in the pocket, two opposing forces with the same objective and it didn't work for him. He couldn't get above the 4th and that's backup QB territory.

He always wanted to be a Cowboy but how badly would he want to stay one, if he knew he was getting relegated to backup? Now, if they wanted to make him the highest paid one and go high in the draft for a potential #1, that might work as long as they made it what they wouldn't make for Romo, a competition. And Dak hasn't won one of those since middle school.

If they go high for a QB, they've got an affordable one for 5 years and could give Dak 10M a season and still be under the QB salary level for most teams. It's not as much about how much they pay the player as how much they allocate to the positions. Give him a 5 year deal for 50 and guarantee 40. I'd say that's pretty good insurance for a team that has been backup challenged at QB for a long time.

And for Dak, he knocks down some serious coin for the best position in the NFL but can his ego take the hit? And the real question is what is he worth to another team in need of a QB? They have all the film and know a lot about him. Be interesting to see what he could get on the open market and does any other team value him as QB1?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If your QB needs to run to be effective because he's not very good as a pocket passer, you have a QB problem.

I want a good pocket passer who can run when necessary, not an effective runner who can sometimes pass from the pocket.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
That whole "Dak is inaccurate" crap just started this year along with "he can't throw the deep ball". Even last year I didn't hear about his inaccuracy.
You just wasn't listening then but I'm not surprised. Most people overlook a lot of stuff when you're winning. This has been said about Dak even before he got drafted so this is not even close to being something new said about him. If it wasn't the case he'd probably have been drafted higher than he went.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
So he's an athlete throwing the football. I'd rather have a QB throwing the football.

Johnny23

Reaction score
He is smart enough to know that standing in the pocket wins games? Seriously you going to stay with that.

Dak

13-2
9-7
3-3

Looks like he is winning games just fine
I could do what you have done and list New England's record the last 3 seasons. I won't. How many games was he the reason for the dub?

Brees
Brady
Rodgers

Have rings. That's the only thing that matters. Dak's not looking like he's going to get one.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Funny to hear a career 57% completion qb call a 64% completion qb not accurate.

To be fair it was a different era.

Instead of your modern leather football, Esiason had to sling around a pig blatter stuffed with uncooked pinto beans.

Dak would probably be around the same completion ratio considering the circumstances.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why do you think he's never beaten out the QB1 and it took injuries to get him in as the starter? Why do you think he was the 7th QB taken and 3rd choice of the team that took him? Why do you think he was not rated higher than the 4th by anyone?

I watched a lot of Dak at Miss St and when he came up against D's that tried to force him into being a pocket passer like AL, AU and LSU, he struggled. He wants to be that now because that's where the money is but he is not consistently accurate enough to be the NFL prototypical pocket passing QB.
Same reason Tom Brady was a 6th round pick? Same reason Romo went undrafted...scouts goofed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.