Twitter: Boomer Esiason on Dak

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You just wasn't listening then but I'm not surprised. Most people overlook a lot of stuff when you're winning. This has been said about Dak even before he got drafted so this is not even close to being something new said about him. If it wasn't the case he'd probably have been drafted higher than he went.
He looked accurate to me in 2016.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Because he's smart enough to know that's what wins in this league and why we are wasting time with a QB that will never be good enough in the pocket. He's not even a mediocre pocket passer.

People want to create some cheap gimmick offense around this guy as if it's sustainable instead of just, like, finding someone who can throw the ball.

You do realize how hard it actually is to find someone who can "just throw the ball" right? Yeah a lot of people want to find ways to win with our cheap 4th round QB whose shown huge potential in many occasions rather than giving up the farm for someone who may or may not be even half as good as Prescott. There's so many times a franchise drafts a should be stud and he becomes a total dud. Drafting a QB high is a huge huge risk and could literally set us back years if we don't get it right. Do you trust these guys to get it right with a franchise QB? I'm not sure that I do...I'd just as soon roll with what we have and surround Prescott with all the talent we can, we can win with this dude. He's also young, the game will slow down for him too like it did for Romo at some point.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I could do what you have done and list New England's record the last 3 seasons. I won't. How many games was he the reason for the dub?

Brees
Brady
Rodgers

Have rings. That's the only thing that matters. Dak's not looking like he's going to get one.
He said winning games nothing about Superbowls. By the way Dak isn't on the level of those guys and I wasn't saying he was. The QB gets the blame when they lose and the praise when they win. Perhaps if you wouldn't let the hate if Dak to blind you, you wouldn't need to try and put him down when you can.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
A mobile QB is a great threat, he is correct. However we spent the number 4 overall pick on a rb. We need a guy to stand in the pocket and make accurate down the field throws.
It sure looked to me like #4 hung in the pocket (for the most part) last Sunday & just why there aren't 3 different COLE BEASLEY threads heralding his like a Big Dog's Success and/or Lamenting the facts of that #11's monster game day performance,,,is rather puzzling,,,o_O

Skillit

Reaction score
A mobile QB is a great threat, he is correct. However we spent the number 4 overall pick on a rb. We need a guy to stand in the pocket and make accurate down the field throws.

That’s the exact mindset that loses football games.

Dak Prescott is not a stand in the pocket and deliver accurately/ on time. Can he do it here and there? Of course. But he is more consistent in the read option, roll out, play action, RPO type plays.

No play in the playbook or scheme makes Dak something he isn’t.

You put your players in situations to make the best of the talents they have while mitigating flaws. Zeke running (a lot) and Dak feeding his game off of that success is not mutually exclusive. Dak doesn’t have to be P Manning for Zeke to be Zeke.

Dak was a 4th round pick who had a historic rookie season because he had the best ground attack in the league and no DC’s had any game plan for him.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The cowboys need to protect themselves by drafting a QB in the first round.

If Dak makes drastic improvements and leads the team where they want to go, great you can trade the other guy.

If Dak doesn’t markedly improve his pocket passing, then you move on to the first rounder.

Drafting a first rounder doesn’t mean the team has to necessarily “give up” on Dak. They can let him compete with the draftee.

It’s just smart long term thinking for the team to draft a QB high.

Which is why our FO won’t do it......

Zman5

Reaction score
That is a great point, you don't have to fit a specific mold in order to win games. Wilson isn't the Payton Manning prototype but he has a Super Bowl ring. I think some people get too caught up in fitting the mold, if Emmitt Smith ran a 4.4 he would have been the first pick of the draft but he still became a HOF player.

I think Boomer's point is that Dak will never have the pinpoint accuracy that Aikman did, but he can still be a very good QB. His accuracy can be "good enough" and he will still beat you with the other parts of his game and still provide a ton of leadership.

People should look up how McNabb played. He was an inaccurate QB who used his feet to his advantage. I wouldn't call him a running QB but he did enough running to help out with his passing deficiencies.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
People should look up how McNabb played. He was an inaccurate QB who used his feet to his advantage. I wouldn't call him a running QB but he did enough running to help out with his passing deficiencies.
And he was awfully stout,Too! He would repeatedly extend Phillys drives with his legs against us,,,Ha! Speaking of scramblers,,, our 70's Q.B of the #12 jersey had about the most unorthodox "zig-zaggy" style of upright running I've not seen even remotely emulated since:laugh:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
wish Pat Summeral and John Madden were doin the game.
Oh,No doubt Bro!,,,it's kinda' of an odd comfort in you-tubing old games,,,you recall their Sunday talkin' heads of Brent Mussberger,Irv Cross& Phyllis George?,,, Man ,Kevin Neeland of Saturday Night Live fame I think on "weekend update" was doing an impersonation of MUSSBERGER once, of N.F L. on C.B.S. where he'd take his fingers& droop down the outsides of his eye lids oriental style while acting like him,,,it was pretty HILARIOUS:lmao2:

Them

Reaction score
Funny to hear a career 57% completion qb call a 64% completion qb not accurate.

There ya go....Boomer is another ex QB...that I care less about what he says. ...by the way Boom...Dak is accurate enough to be at 64%...for the time being anyway;)

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Because you can't have a QB running too much, it will eventually wear them down and leave them open for some big shots.
Tony didnt run and he got wore down beat up and injured all in the safe pocket lol so I dont buy your argument.

starcity214

Reaction score
Tony didnt run and he got wore down beat up and injured all in the safe pocket lol so I dont buy your argument.

I think the issue with Dak being a "running QB" is that instead of making him learn to sit in the pocket and learn to read defenses and master his footwork , you are basically giving up and saying that he will never learn.

As time goes by , his athleticism will deteriorate and you will be left with an unathletic QB that can't sit in the pocket.
Think of Dez Bryant and how once his athleticism left him he was done because he never learned the position.

Older QBs all stick around because of their mastery of the position.

If Dak doesn't learn how to be a pocket QB now , when will he?

Gimmick QBs don't amount to much.

The greatest QB to ever play the game (Brady) is a lanky , slow , statue... let that sink in.
Why can't defenses stop him or figure him out after 20 years in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.