BPA WR or highest ranked Defensive player?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If you're taking purely BPA, position doesn't matter. So, you take a RB to sit on the bench? I'm not getting this idea.

That's your idea, not mine. I'd refrain from taking a RB if I felt satisfied with what I had in house. Nobody's trying to force anyone to take someone that they feel they don't need to enhance their roster. Let's just choose to be practical about this, OK? For instance, if JG forced Kellen Moore to commit to his demands, then Kellen wouldn't have been free to do his job as he saw fit. I wouldn't recommend that type of thing to be the case. If it was, then, it's self explanatory why Garrett's contract wasn't renewed. ;)

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who do you think is starting at slot wr? An xfl caliber player..and slot wr Is a starter in the NFL..in MM system, they probably play 70%+ of the snaps

Personally I like Devon Smith a lot. Easy to pick on up in the draft or sign one in FA after the draft.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Do you think William's was a better guard than Looney? I don't, but they kept him (Williams) in there. I think our coaching staff was so incompetent that they kept players who were not ready to start in their respective positions purely because of where they were drafted. With that being said, let's see what happens in the draft and training camp and we'll let our current coaches determine who starts, and who serves as backup. Right now, I look at it as a blank slate.

Blank Slate? Right now we have a backup starting at center. Cant happen.

JBS

Reaction score
Personally I like Devon Smith a lot. Easy to pick on up in the draft or sign one in FA after the draft.

Devin Smith lol. You are frightened to play Looney and you want to play Devin Smith...is this a joke?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Devin Smith lol. You are frightened to play Looney and you want to play Devin Smith...is this a joke?

What do u know about smith? I would be that its not much.

Here, educate yourself:

He was the 37th pick in the draft.

Jets waive former second-round pick Devin Smith. Wide receiver Devin Smith's time with the New York Jets has come to an end. ... Two ACL injuries, however, limited Smith's production and time on the field. He suffered the first tear during his rookie season and then suffered the second injury during the 2017 offseason.Jul 16, 2018

Last edited:

Landryhat73

Reaction score
1st - Chaisson - corner and wr depth is deeper them edge. Could always trade up in the 2nd if need be.
2nd - Ruggs - just something special about that speed
3rd - Henderson
4th - Kinlaw - depending on medical report
5th - trade down.

If Chaisson, Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy, Kinlaw, and Henderson are all gone that mostly likely means a stud tackle has fallen or a QB - this is a perfect trade down situation.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hahahahah you are really going to defend this argument...oh my goodness

Try watching the video.

Yah, I like the potential of Devon Smith. He was a complete stud that is now healthy.

Jets waive former second-round pick Devin Smith. Wide receiver Devin Smith's time with the New York Jets has come to an end. ... Two ACL injuries, however, limited Smith's production and time on the field. He suffered the first tear during his rookie season and then suffered the second injury during the 2017 offseason.Jul 16, 2018

We take a receiver somewhere around the 3rd round and we should have one heck of a WR stable.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is seldom BPA applied in the 1st round by any team, it is all based on needs.

What positions don't the Cowboys need with that 17th? Is there any position that is excluded? Based on needs, CB is #1 and depending on which mock you look at, and on what day, Henderson is not there, being the 2nd rated CB behind Okudah, who will definitely go before that.

This draft will be as much about trades as who gets picked. Wouldn't surprise me for this draft to approach the record for 1st round trades. And wouldn't surprise me for the Cowboys to go up or down.

vlad

Reaction score
If you have players on your board ranked, I'm reaching here by the way, clear 1st rounders and then your 2nd round graded guys start at 18, would you not take the WR that you graded in the 1st? That is my argument and I'm sticking to it. No idea how they've ranked their board, but there are aspects in which rankings can override need.

that’s totally rational and I’m not arguing against that. By the same token though I’m not drafting a RB #1 even if the above scenario applied.

I'm speaking more to either the desire and/ or perceived need for a WR #1 for this team. That seems very popular including with the team. Had you not signed Cooper I'd agree

If your case did arrive unless it's like Randy Moss I'd look to move down if I got a fair deal.

vlad

Reaction score
Try watching the video.

Yah, I like the potential of Devon Smith. He was a complete stud that is now healthy.

We take a receiver somewhere around the 3rd round and we should have one heck of a WR stable.

While unlikely Cowboys' fans should be aware it's possible after many injuries for a 2nd rounder to exceed potential (jimmy Smith).

I'm curious is a non-elite rookie wr would perform better than who is on the roster

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hahahahah you are really going to defend this argument...oh my goodness

Speedsters to Watch for at 2015 NFL Combine

Devin Smith from Ohio State is one player who can turn on the burners. According to NFLDraftScout.com, his 40-yard dash time is listed at 4.38 seconds.

This bomb looks a lot like his college highlight video:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
While unlikely Cowboys' fans should be aware it's possible after many injuries for a 2nd rounder to exceed potential (jimmy Smith).

I'm curious is a non-elite rookie wr would perform better than who is on the roster

EXACTLY...……..this could be our Jimmy Smith in reverse. Devon Smith was basically the Ruggs of his draft class.

4.38 speed coming out of Ohio State.

bcavi

Reaction score
Blank Slate? Right now we have a backup starting at center. Cant happen.

I think you are a little too "5 alarm whistle" with this center thing. We are going to be fine there and it is the least of our worries this year. You keep saying backup, but what does that mean when Looney played and did a good job there before. We even made the playoffs. We don't need an all world center there. Looney can play at an appreciative level regardless if his backup label remains to be the thing with you.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's your idea, not mine. I'd refrain from taking a RB if I felt satisfied with what I had in house. Nobody's trying to force anyone to take someone that they feel they don't need to enhance their roster. Let's just choose to be practical about this, OK? For instance, if JG forced Kellen Moore to commit to his demands, then Kellen wouldn't have been free to do his job as he saw fit. I wouldn't recommend that type of thing to be the case. If it was, then, it's self explanatory why Garrett's contract wasn't renewed. ;)
Not really. BPA was your idea. I'm trying to figure out how it makes sense.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Not really. BPA was your idea. I'm trying to figure out how it makes sense.
Well, that was your first mistake . . . if you take everything I say as fact, you're in for an extremely disappointing future! :grin: :muttley:

bcavi

Reaction score
that’s totally rational and I’m not arguing against that. By the same token though I’m not drafting a RB #1 even if the above scenario applied.

I'm speaking more to either the desire and/ or perceived need for a WR #1 for this team. That seems very popular including with the team. Had you not signed Cooper I'd agree

If your case did arrive unless it's like Randy Moss I'd look to move down if I got a fair deal.

I think WR is fascinating only because of the skillsets of these top 3. Yes, this is a deep class, but they are top 3 for a reason. I'd take Reagor in the 2nd. I think he'd be a great slot, but he'll be long gone by the time we pick, and whose to say we'll go that route anyway.

You are right about if a RB was there, we'd have to pass, which my point wouldn't be applicable in this case for sure.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think you are a little too "5 alarm whistle" with this center thing. We are going to be fine there and it is the least of our worries this year. You keep saying backup, but what does that mean when Looney played and did a good job there before. We even made the playoffs. We don't need an all world center there. Looney can play at an appreciative level regardless if his backup label remains to be the thing with you.

Ive seen what happens with Looney at center. 56 sacks in 2018. He is a backup for a reason and has pretty much been a backup his entire career. Like any other hole, it now needs an upgrade.

bcavi

Reaction score
Ive seen what happens with Looney at center. 56 sacks in 2018. He is a backup for a reason and has pretty much been a backup his entire career. Like any other hole, it now needs an upgrade.

56 sacks were not all on Looney. Wow. You don't make a point using blanket statements. My question then would be to you, why get a rookie center that most likely would not beat Looney out at center anyway. Fredricks are rare, he is an exception in my opinion. Groom McGovern, and if a center happens to be BPA, then fine. As desperate of a situation this seems to you, FA would be your best bet, or try trading for a known veteran, rather than an unknown rookie would make more sense.

To your backup point. Did you consider William's a better guard than Looney? Xavier Su'a-Filo? He should not have started his rookie season, and at this point he has not greatly improved regardless of the injuries. I give the previous coaches no credit determining who was backup vs who started. None. So with this in mind, why are you so sure Looney is just the backup, that cannot play center successfully. Seem you have somewhat of a trust in the previous coaching regime. I did not. I am willing to wait and see what our current staff sees, and lets see if you are correct, because you sure are digging in.