News: BR: Cowboys Rumors: Dalton Schultz 'More Likely' to Get Franchise Tag over Randy Gregory

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
No issue at all paying a good but not great TE $10 million for one year. No brainer.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Schultz is a solid TE

A solid TE who's going to be overpaid as a top 5 TE in the league. Making the same mistakes over and over again.

We scheme (and Defense's allow) our TE space underneath....you don't need to spend nearly $11m to get similar results. TE isnt a position that's difficult to fill. Look at 2019, a 37 year old Witten, who's 40 yards was measured on a calendar still managed 75.9% Comp% for 6.4 Yards/per.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No issue at all paying a good but not great TE $10 million for one year. No brainer.

If we weren't in a position of: being in negative CAP, losing our WR1, DE1 and holes along the whole of the O-Line i'd agree.

conner01

Reaction score
A solid TE who's going to be overpaid as a top 5 TE in the league. Making the same mistakes over and over again.

We scheme (and Defense's allow) our TE space underneath....you don't need to spend nearly $11m to get similar results. TE isnt a position that's difficult to fill. Look at 2019, a 37 year old Witten, who's 40 yards was measured on a calendar still managed 75.9% Comp% for 6.4 Yards/per.
Witten is a hof player who was never athletic, so the fact he could still get open isn’t a shock to me
But are you willing to bet McKeon can do the same?
I’m not advocating paying Schultz 10 mil
But I’m saying you can’t let cooper, Schultz, Dlaw, Gregory all go and think you can replace them in the draft and things will be fine
On their own you can make the case for moving on from any of them, but all of them at once is not the same thing

fivetwos

Reaction score
So nobody will pay for

Mike Gesicki (Only blocked 12% of the time)
Evan Engram
Jared Cook

Nobody will draft Jalen Wydermyer? Grades poorly against the run. Wydermyer earned a PFF run-blocking grade of 50.6 in 2021, ranking 203rd out of 261 qualified FBS tight ends

etc etc. Teams focus on different things. But to grade a TE solely on blocking is wrong
Fully agree with this...

But in our case at the moment, we need to fix this run game, and for several good reasons.

The rap on Schultz not being a good run blocker is a myth. He is an actual liability in that area. So I have a tough time paying a guy 11 million who is going to work directly against the thing I need to fix most.

I suppose the Jarwin situation makes the team feel retaining him is necessary, but the guy does absolutely nothing very well.

Most of the time he happens to be standing alone in the flat when Dak panics. No need to cover him tightly because he can't run.

His own poor blocking (if you can even call it that...many times he doesn't make it to the point of attack and his man makes the play) sets up the need to pass more often, inflating his catch stats.

Isn't the main issue around here over paying our own guys?

But hey.....a one year tag beats a long term deal.

I hope for 2023 we have new players at LG, TE and RB and we can get back to being a run first team...which is what this QB needs to be successful.