News: BR: Dak Prescott Rumors: Cowboys QB 'Might Prefer to Do a Shorter-Term' Contract

cern

Reaction score
Meanwhile Tim Brady has said hed go to contender that guaranteed him the best supporting cast

Tony Romo just got 17 to be the highest paid announcer in history and its because hes was a DC starting Qb over along period..be smart not stubborn..take the 33 bro!! give the DC a friendly deal over 6 years it will come back 10fold..
romo earned his broadcasting accolades. he's just got the personality and knowledge of the game. being a perennial pro bowler for the cowboys didn't help Jason witten in his broadcasting stint. it was so bad he quit and begged the cowboys to take him back for another year.

John813

Reaction score
I never once mentioned an EXTENSION, that is not the same as a new contract. if Dak signs a deal in the next month, that will not be an extension. So a qb that has 2 years remaining on his current deal... yea, it make sense to do a 3 year EXTENSION. But a player who is a free agent, they are getting a 5 year deal or the franchise tag.The 4 QBs you mentioned above , none of them were in the final year of their current contract when they signed the EXTENSIONS.

An extension is a new contract/deal, with the current team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...escotts-agent-meets-with-cowboys-to-talk-deal

Prescott's agent, Todd France, met with Cowboys brass in Indianapolis on Wednesday to discuss an extension for the Dallas quarterback, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. ESPN first reported the news.

A rookie still has to play out his first contract, so they signed 4 year deals on top of their ELC. So for Goff and Wentz, they signed 4 year deals, which will automatically start once they play out their first contract. Still a new 4 year deal or EXTENSION.

The Cowboys are in rare terrority with Dak, as lately most teams have re-signed their QB's prior to them potentially reaching FA.

Even if Dak signs a 5 year deal, it's not a short term deal for a QB these days.

blueblood70

Reaction score
romo earned his broadcasting accolades. he's just got the personality and knowledge of the game. being a perennial pro bowler for the cowboys didn't help Jason witten in his broadcasting stint. it was so bad he quit and begged the cowboys to take him back for another year.
it gave witten the opportunity its a fact DC media exposure and endorsements are way higher then a lot of markets.. TR got an opportunity and yes earned it but had he not been in dallas, maybe not had the same exposure, hes not even in the media right now..

Look around all sports media all the espn and nfln shows etc etc and \see how many more ex DC players have had those jobs over other teams..

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Dak Prescott Rumors: Cowboys QB 'Might Prefer to Do a Shorter-Term' Contract

hi-res-a9ed2dc3decbb80ae36a26fa7b198b17_crop_exact.jpg

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott is reportedly considering signing a shorter-term deal with the team, preferring it to a long-term commitment...

Read Full Story

I'd prefer a short term contract as well. How about 0 years?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not news.

He wants to take advantage of the market again after Mahomes deal.

This works to Dallas' favor, even if they don't see it. Not as much as a franchise tag, but better than a long-term albatross.

Not sure how the Mahomes deal factors in since Dak isn't in the same ballpark as that guy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Peyton Manning.
I can point out a lot of rookie QB's playing through injuries, Aikman and David Carr while getting sacked the most in the league just to start with but Manning didn't sacrifice anything for his teammates.

The point is show me any NFL player taking less so his team can afford better players. None of them do that so it's ludicrous to say Prescott's not a team player. None of them are team players when it's money time and none of these posters saying they would take less so others could get paid can be serious.

When Hines Ward was up, his teammates were pushing the FO hard to keep him but not one of them offered to take less money. And he's as good a teammate as any player would ever want.

Football is the ultimate team sport, except where the money is concerned. A player might make a deal because he wants to stay in a market but he's not taking less for others to get paid.

cern

Reaction score
it gave witten the opportunity its a fact DC media exposure and endorsements are way higher then a lot of markets.. TR got an opportunity and yes earned it but had he not been in dallas, maybe not had the same exposure, hes not even in the media right now..

Look around all sports media all the espn and nfln shows etc etc and \see how many more ex DC players have had those jobs over other teams..
you do make some good points.

garyo1954

Reaction score
You ask, "Who are you referring too?"
I answered, "Peyton Manning."

Did you really need four paragraphs to say, "Okay?"

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meanwhile Tom Brady has said hed go to contender that guaranteed him the best supporting cast for 20million!

Tony Romo just got 17 to be the highest paid announcer in history and its because hes was a DC starting Qb over along period..be smart not stubborn..take the 33 bro!! give the DC a friendly deal over 6 years it will come back 10fold..
Brady looking for a 7th ring with his net worth isn't really applicable to this situation and Romo didn't take less money to remain a Cowboy. He didn't know what the future was, he went for the gold and to force the owner's hand with addressing the OL.

There is no reason for Prescott to take less. This is a team that's already paying the DE and RB top money, why shouldn't he get him some. Hell, they don't have to do it, get another QB. It's not his fault they have to luck into QB's.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not sure how the Mahomes deal factors in since Dak isn't in the same ballpark as that guy.

It's the whole "next man up" thought process. I don't agree with it at all, I'd tell those agents and players to pound sand for life if I were an owner but then again, the fan base would probably burn house down so yeah, there is that.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the whole "next man up" thought process. I don't agree with it at all, I'd tell those agents and players to pound sand for life if I were an owner but then again, the fan base would probably burn house down so yeah, there is that.

Fans just want the team to win. If that had happened last year, we probably aren't having these conversations.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Fans just want the team to win. If that had happened last year, we probably aren't having these conversations.

This is absolutely true IMO. I mean, I would because I would probably be talking to my self but the majority of the fan base, they would be happy to pay Dak. I get it, he bet on himself and if he would have been successful, nobody would have cared. The problem that I have with all of this is that he did fail, no matter how you want to slice it and in the end, winning does matter, regardless of if you think it's a fair deal or not. This, to me is proof of that.

JMO

sean10mm

Reaction score
It's hilarious how many CZ posters have ranted about Dak burying the team with a CAP HELL FOREVER OMG***BBQ long-term deal, when he probably doesn't even want one.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, he's about to get more than Rodgers, Wilson, Brees.....and he's not in that ballpark either.
But that ballpark is going to shift, he might be the highest paid but it won't take long for him to be near the bottom 10.

The QB agents were the first to push the envelope and Cousins set the floor with that tag. They set out to get their unfair share of the increasing cap and the owners capitulated. All the other positions are trying to catch up. and they all know the QB money is going to make another jump with the Mahomes, Jackson, Watson deals.

Can't make comparisons with other team's QB's because they're not available. The Cowboys have to decide how much Prescott is worth to them and weigh options. And they do not know the end result for a team with a tagged QB because the only one so far didn't turn out well.

Although, I would like to see Prescott run up to Booger's suite and start yelling in his face "how do you like that"?

Hell, give him 100M guaranteed for 3 years and move on. That keeps the tag for another player and gives some stability to the position. And Booger doesn't have to worry about the effect on the other owners because Cousins has already broken the cherry on a guaranteed contract.