News: BR: Dak Prescott Rumors: Cowboys QB 'Might Prefer to Do a Shorter-Term' Contract

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I kind of hope Prescott lands with a competent front office.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players use teams, teams use players. It's business. "Loyalty" is rarely part of the equation on either side.
And that's all he and his agent are doing, conducting business. Just like Lawrence and Elliott did.

If posters want someone to blame, don't blame the gold seekers, blame those guarding the gold.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Then he'll have to walk or they'll have to sell the team. I could actually go with both of those.
Some fans are going to get exactly what they want. It was almost as sad when Romo played. QBs don't grow on trees and we just wasted 4 years at a bargain.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And that's all he and his agent are doing, conducting business. Just like Lawrence and Elliott did.

If posters want someone to blame, don't blame the gold seekers, blame those guarding the gold.

Why is it the fault of "Those guarding the gold?"

I guess I don't really look at it as the fault of anybody. The team's job is to secure the future of the team. Dak and his agent are trying to secure their own futures. The only real outside looking in folks in this discussion are the fans, to me.

I guess I don't really view it as "fault" per say. IDK.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You guys are high if you think Dak is going anywhere IMO.

Dak is getting tagged and that's what's up to me.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
An extension is a new contract/deal, with the current team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...escotts-agent-meets-with-cowboys-to-talk-deal

Prescott's agent, Todd France, met with Cowboys brass in Indianapolis on Wednesday to discuss an extension for the Dallas quarterback, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. ESPN first reported the news.

A rookie still has to play out his first contract, so they signed 4 year deals on top of their ELC. So for Goff and Wentz, they signed 4 year deals, which will automatically start once they play out their first contract. Still a new 4 year deal or EXTENSION.

The Cowboys are in rare terrority with Dak, as lately most teams have re-signed their QB's prior to them potentially reaching FA.

Even if Dak signs a 5 year deal, it's not a short term deal for a QB these days.

Im not going to spend much time on this, but you can only sign an EXTENSION if you have a contract already in place. Thats why it is called an extension, it EXTENDS the current deal.

Dak does not have a contract, he played out his rookie deal, thus the reason he is looking for a new deal, not an extension. I dont care what the agent supposedly said in that quote above.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Players use teams, teams use players. It's business. "Loyalty" is rarely part of the equation on either side.
Loyalty probably isn't the best word for it. He can't go out there and say he's focused on improving and winning and super bowl whilst simultaneously trying to negotiate a contract that prohibits the FO from signing talent to surround him with (which he absolutely needs to win). But yeah, he's a team guy who really cares about his teammates.

John813

Reaction score
Im not going to spend much time on this, but you can only sign an EXTENSION if you have a contract already in place. Thats why it is called an extension, it EXTENDS the current deal.

Dak does not have a contract, he played out his rookie deal, thus the reason he is looking for a new deal, not an extension. I dont care what the agent supposedly said in that quote above.

Dak does have a contract. It expires on March 18th at 4pm. Therefore, he can get extended up until then, or they slap the FT tag on him(march 12th) and can work on an extension up until July 15th.

If he didn't a have an active contract, he would be a free agent right now.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2019-20-important-nfl-dates/

Reid1boys

Reaction score

John813

Reaction score
I read on Yahoo he is getting tagged. Not sure how accurate it is.

Stranger things have happened, but I'll be amazed if they can get a deal done by the 12th. Probably be another Lawrence situation where he gets tagged, and then they finally come to an agreement 2+ months into the offseason for a longer deal.

Saw the rumor they'll put the exclusive tag on him, which to me is silly to throw away 6+ mil of cap space. I doubt any team will give up two picks.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why is it the fault of "Those guarding the gold?"

I guess I don't really look at it as the fault of anybody. The team's job is to secure the future of the team. Dak and his agent are trying to secure their own futures. The only real outside looking in folks in this discussion are the fans, to me.

I guess I don't really view it as "fault" per say. IDK.
Did the Cowboys really have to give Lawrence or Elliott those contracts? They crater, just as they did with Bryant, so any agent is going to go to the wall against them because that is expected. Every agent and player is expecting Prescott's agent to take the Joneses to the woodshed because that's their history. They'll talk a good game but they're round heeled and will eventually roll over. It's all dominoes and every time they've rolled over, the dominoes begin to fall.

Some are upset with Prescott and his agent but why? Should they leave money on the table for the next DE or RB?

Booger is and always has been star struck which is why he's not a good GM. That and the fact he has absolute job security.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stranger things have happened, but I'll be amazed if they can get a deal done by the 12th. Probably be another Lawrence situation where he gets tagged, and then they finally come to an agreement 2+ months into the offseason for a longer deal.

Saw the rumor they'll put the exclusive tag on him, which to me is silly to throw away 6+ mil of cap space. I doubt any team will give up two picks.
I agree unless they think he might actually hold out with the non-exclusive tag and be pissed because no team would step up for him.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

If they tag him, I thought that was it and no more negotiations can take place.... or at least no new deal can be signed until after the 2020 season is over.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
If they tag him, I thought that was it and no more negotiations can take place.... or at least no new deal can be signed until after the 2020 season is over.
You would be incorrect in that assumption.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The tag allows them time to reach a new deal but there is a deadline, I don't know when that is but once they've used the tag, they can rescind it but they cannot use it again that off season.

I don't know what advantage that gives them at this point, they started this discussion last season.

John813

Reaction score

Nah you get a window this year till July 15th to work out an agreement for franchised players. If no deal is reached the player plays on the tag and can't discuss a new deal till the season ends up until the start of the new year, usually in mid March. And then the process can repeat again if the team re-franchise tags the player, a la Lawrence.