News: BR: Dak Prescott Rumors: Cowboys QB 'Might Prefer to Do a Shorter-Term' Contract

fivetwos

Reaction score
Long term rights gives the team the option to keep him at current rates . Of course Dak doesn't want that. Dak has a good decade of healthy play left in him. A 5 year contract now puts him back in free agency for another 5 year contract in his prime.
Then he doesnt show up for off season stuff or camp, and maybe not at all.

There has to be a middle ground to get a deal done.

I think we disagree on what benefits who. You think it benefits the team to have given out a long deal with the guaranteed money that goes along with it, and I see it the other way.

Theres no moving on if he underperforms a long deal.

Besides, if he signs for X now, and that number makes him seriously underpaid in three years, they are going to have to appease him anyway with a new deal.

I'd much rather have a guy betting on himself on a short deal and the team wins either way.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
if rdp gets what he wants, the team will begin to suffer due to its inability to sign free agents and keep our own. imo, the chances of winning the big dance in the next 3 years decreases rather than increases. rams and eagles spent a boat load of money for their qb's and free agents. neither sniffed the big dance last year. now they're going thru fireside sales to get some more money. seems mindboggling that only belichick has figured it out.

Perhaps but Jerry is running out of time. I’d say he’s going to try to make another run with Dak and whatever else he believes will get him there...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If the Cowboys were to sign Dak for 34 mil, I could see a compromise being struck to make the length of contract about 2 or 3 years. I feel that this would allow the team to test him sufficiently to seriously consider a big increase. Hopefully, it might satisfy everyone concerned -- seems fair to me.

Last edited:

csirl

Reaction score
The PR spin is very interesting. In reality, if the team are extending, they only want a short term deal. No team will take the risk of being tied to a long term deal with a QB who has shortcomings.

On the flip side, any agent would advise a client like Dak to take the longest, most guaranteed contract. You want the team to be forced to keep you for several years and maximise your guaranteed income in case you're not really elite. If there was a 5-7 year deal on the table, Dak's agent would be advising him to sign asap.

Dak's team know the Cowboys have reservations about him - this is why he hasnt already been extended. They know they will not get a 5-7 year offer. Their realistic best case scenario is a 2-3 year deal. So the PR spin is that Dak only wants a short term deal.