News: BR: Ezekiel Elliott, NFLPA Reportedly Have No Interest in Suspension Reduction Talks

NewsBot

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott reportedly does not plan on accepting a shortened penalty as a settlement as he and the NFL Players' Association fight his six-game suspension in courts.

On Thursday, Clarence Hill Jr. of the Star-Telegram cited sources close to the Ohio State product and the NFLPA, noting they have "no interest or knowledge of settlement talks" and are instead "fighting to clear his name, not just cut games."

Hill's report comes after David Moore of the Dallas Morning News cited sources who said Elliott's side and the NFL "have discussed the possibility of a settlement." Moore noted "there has been dialogue behind the scenes, one source asserts, after each court ruling along the way."

Moore explained there could be motivation from both sides to reach a settlement considering the restraining order Judge Paul Crotty issued Elliott is only temporary with a future court date with Judge Katherine Failla looming.

Failla will weigh in on the preliminary injunction, which will determine if Elliott's six-game suspension will happen during the 2017 campaign or get pushed further back (if he serves it at all).

Will Brinson of CBS Sports reported Elliott "should play" in Dallas' game against the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday and Washington on Oct. 29 after the temporary restraining order ruling. However, Brinson pointed out the next hearing will be Oct. 30.

The legal back-and-forth comes after a lengthy investigation into domestic violence allegations from 2016. The Cowboys running back was suspended six games but has played in each of his team's first five contests this year as he fights the initial ruling.

Dallas is 2-3, and Elliott has 393 rushing yards and three total touchdowns after leading the league in rushing (1,631 yards) last year.

Read more Dallas Cowboys news on BleacherReport.com

Continue reading...

Sydla

Reaction score
There isn't a shred of doubt that the NFL would be fine with reducing games as long as they can continue to call this a DV incident. That's a win for them.

Elliott and his party aren't going to take anything in a settlement that doesn't, at the very least, exonerate him of the allegations of DV lobbed at him by the NFL.

There's the impasse.

robjay04

Reaction score
There isn't a shred of doubt that the NFL would be fine with reducing games as long as they can continue to call this a DV incident. That's a win for them.

Elliott and his party aren't going to take anything in a settlement that doesn't, at the very least, exonerate him of the allegations of DV lobbed at him by the NFL.

There's the impasse.

Well if they wanted that, they had their chance. They could’ve reduced games...they knew this would likely go to court anyways but if they reduced it to 2 games...maybe Zeke would be more inclined to give in at some point.

Maybe.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well if they wanted that, they had their chance. They could’ve reduced games...they knew this would likely go to court anyways but if they reduced it to 2 games...maybe Zeke would be more inclined to give in at some point.

Maybe.

Three weeks ago it never entered their thinking that they would lose this case. Now that a few judges have disagreed and the most recent judge clearly undercut their whole thinking throughout this process, they are now looking to deal.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Supposedly this is more Roger and Jerry talking than anything else.

That would be more likely but still a far fetched scenario.

Conversation

Rodger to JJ. So look I gave you draft so scratch my back. Make Zeke take my medicine.

Hopefully JJ to Rodger. Stick it . You know I will restore some credibility to NFL by first class draft site. On Zeke , you heard me , I don’t believe he should be suspended so we are done with that topic.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Supposedly this is more Roger and Jerry talking than anything else.

That would be more likely but still a far fetched scenario.

What do you mean supposedly? Do you have any sources or links to support what you're insinuating?

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Three weeks ago it never entered their thinking that they would lose this case. Now that a few judges have disagreed and the most recent judge clearly undercut their whole thinking throughout this process, they are now looking to deal.
I've been thinking Zeke had < 10% of getting out of this without a 6 game suspension but the recent judge statement has me believing Zeke's chances are closer to 40%.

If I were Zeke, no way would I accept a deal that didn't include an apology from the league and removal of the person whom called Zeke a 'woman beater'.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Reduction to 1 game with pay for the issue involving pulling down a female bra..........yes that mean EVERYTHING about the DV issues is forgotten and never mention again

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I wouldn't settle with the NFL, not after reading stuff like this:

Money isn't everything.

Wow the the LEAGUE is so full of themselves... They need a reality check in the worst way. There is no data that would suggest Zeke can make any of that money up in the Domestic Violence climate we are currently in. Companies will steer clear of Zeke because they do not want to be seen as supporting a woman abuser... The NFL is a joke

4lifecowboy

Reaction score

There's the impasse.
They couldn't reduce it and still label it DV if they wanted to, first offense DV is six game per policy now. I'm sure the settlement talk has to begin with dropping the DV label to have any appeal to Elliott whatsoever.