News: BR: Jerry Jones on NFL Trade Deadline: Cowboys Are 'Open for Business Year Round'

Aven8

Reaction score
Funny story: 3 years ago today, the Dallas Cowboys sent a first round draft pick to the Oakland Raiders for WR Amari Cooper.

Not advocating any trade of any sort, just found it somewhat ironic .

And that trade paid off and than some. A 1st round pick for Coop was steal.

Hayseed

Reaction score
The big move would be for an impact Defensive tackle to line up next to Yo Diggety . Someone who can be a force against the run AND get some push up the gut rushing the passer. Problem is,....as I look over NFL rosters it seems those guys are getting to be about as rare as hens teeth. If you find one,....you better keep him. Any of those kinda guys would cost an arm and a leg.

There was a lot of talk last year about trading for the Jets Quinnen Williams. Do you know what that would take to get someone like him? Im betting it would take Gallup and 2 firsts. If we were real lucky maybe Gallup and a 1st and a second. Is that a lot? Hell yeah its a alot. Thing is the Jets would be flat out stupid to take any less. Not saying we should do it with the cost being what it is,....actually I would say NO. Just saying that IMO thats what a team like the Jets would want if they were smart.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure that Brown is improving. I think the defense is making Brown's play look better. It's easier to intercept underthrown passes or break to intercept one when the line is getting pressure that forces the ball out quickly.

I'm not sure what is going on with Haden in Pittsburgh, but a lot of the time, good and bad seasons for corners are tied to how the rest of the defense is playing. If the pressure isn't good in particular, then the corners are in trouble no matter how good they are.

I know what Haden has accomplished in his career is much better than anything we've gotten from Brown. Plus, I know that that starting corner spot could use an upgrade, so I hope Dallas is looking at that and not just thinking it drafted players at the position in the second and third rounds, so that's good enough.

If they don't view Haden as an upgrade, I can live with that. Not even looking into the possibility of upgrading is the type of thing this front office is liable to do to leave us lacking.

I think their best chances to improve at corner already came and went. And Dallas decided to stick with what they have.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Cooper is a good example of what I just wrote. He was not playing for the Raiders like he was worthy of a first-round pick. However, his play ticked back up when he came here.

It's hard to know how a player is going to react and what the reasons for their "struggles" might be. Of course, that's why you have a pro scouting department. Hopefully, McClay has his scouts combing over possible tradeable corners.

I think they already passed on their two best opportunities in Henderson and then Gilmore.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think their best chances to improve at corner already came and went. And Dallas decided to stick with what they have.

I don't disagree with you on that, which is why I don't expect them to make a move even though I want them to. Maybe what we have coming back will prove to be enough to make this defense more than just opportunistic. If it was me, though, I'd be doing what I could to capitalize on how we're playing on offense this season. You'd like to think that we can just build on that next year no matter what happens this year, but teams rarely remain the same because of free agency, injuries, etc. This is also one of the few years where our depth might allow for a few moves even thought I'm hesitant to cut into it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
You might get a ham sandwich for Wilson, maybe the bread for Candy.

Wilson is a starting-caliber safety. Canady has been a starting nickel. We could probably get late-round picks for both.

That's not much, but considering that we've got to make some roster room, both might be considered expendable, especially Canady.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I guess that's why Jaylon Smith was traded, oh wait no he wasn't, he was waived, same with Houston's defensive end last week... Teams can't just dump big contracts on other teams because of the pro rated bonus in the contract dumps on their own cap and usually other teams can't take on those contracts because of their own cap situation,,
Once again wait and see

blueblood70

Reaction score
Probably not. If they do it would probably be a late round pick for Dalton.
so its the bye we need something my Longhorns and Cowboys are on bye..i need something come on Jerry do it up Big like Texas..

visionary

Reaction score
Joe Haden, if the price is right, and assuming Pittsburgh wants to trade him, sounds like he'd be a good choice. It would be a one-year rental while we give Joseph and Wright a chance to develop. I'd offer them Gallup and Canady for Haden and a sixth.

No way I’m trading Gallup for a 1 year rental. Gallup will get us a comp 3 next year or can help us get to a SB this year. The only way I’m trading him is for a difference maker at DT with at least 2-3 year deal

gimmesix

Reaction score
No way I’m trading Gallup for a 1 year rental. Gallup will get us a comp 3 next year or can help us get to a SB this year. The only way I’m trading him is for a difference maker at DT with at least 2-3 year deal

I want to win this year. We've got the offense to do it even without Gallup, but the defense isn't there yet. I'm not concerned whether the player is a one-year rental or not, only if he can help this defense improve. We want Super Bowls, but right now, we look a lot like the teams that fell short in 2014 and 2016 other than we're at least more opportunistic on defense. Maybe who we've got coming back off injured reserve will make enough of a difference, but if we can add a bona fide starter at one of our weaker positions, then whether he's a one-year rental or not could be worth it.

Easyout66

Reaction score
Keeping 'Itchy trigger finger' Jerry from pulling the trigger on an aging star on the back end of his career is a daunting task for Stephen, McClay, and Big Mike the next 10 days

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I’d be surprised if they make any moves...think they feel the guys coming back will be the additions this season. They also passed on Gilmore for only a 6th round pick- granted their was financial aspects to that deal being passed on but still they could have made it happen nonetheless.

think this will be the roster moving forward imo.