News: BR: NFL Agent Rips Cowboys' Jerry Jones: 'He's a Narcissist . He Plays GM Like a Fan'

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I'm sick of hearing this garbage. Jerry does NOT GM like a fan. A fan would never settle for shopping the bargain bin each year, nor would a fan keep lame coaches around long after it's obvious to the world they can't get you to the ultimate prize, or dish out obvious bad contracts that will obviously hinder the team for years to come. Jerry GM's like a RIVAL fan.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
This guy has a valid point about Jerry Jones being a fan as a GM. His talent evaluation isn't well suited to building a winning team but rather suited to his misguided idea of how to best suit his purposes as an owner. The best GMs are far more interested in winning than how to get the best "bang for their buck." He's an outrageously poor judge of talent but would, rather, prefer to gather players to please the local fans and fill his stadium. His foolhardy passion for Johnny Manziel was a prime example of that fact. Fortunately, the committee comprised of those in the staff wisely overruled him.

Sorry, but I don't believe that Manziel "I had the card in my hand" story for a second. That was media hype fodder. They help him stay in the news, he helps them with juicy tidbits like this. Makes for good stories. If he wanted Manziel, we'd have had Manziel. I think it was about as legit as "Dak will only be down a few days."

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Agents have strong personalities, as does Jerry that quote sounds like he had a frustrating negotiation expetience. Is this Dak's agent?

Dak's agent got what he wanted and more than was offered the previous year so I doubt it. I just loved the irony of someone "leaking" that Dak wanted $40M a year in negotiations for bad press and then the team eventually settling on a contract for $40M a year. That's what you call taking them to the shed and rubbing their nose in it.

erod

Reaction score
Yes. A toy he's destroyed for his own amusement.

And how was he greeted in his return from Oxnard this year by our fellow fans?

"Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!"
People today will believe anything without asking questions. This is example #1 million.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I have never met a person worth $5-10B but I assume almost all are narcissists. Jerry is probably the most down to earth billionaire one could ever meet.

A lot of the players are probably 10 times more narcissistic than Jerry.

For the most part, I have found really rich people tend to be jerks. Jerry is not a jerk if I had to guess. Jerry will buy you a drink and give you free tickets.

agreed. trying to paint Jerry as any one thing is misguided. he clearly has attributes that are admirable, and he clearly has attributes that aren't.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I would not say over ruled but convinced Jerry that it would be wise to pass on Manziel. When BP was here he talked about Jerry will listen to those around him and expect them to make a case for why they feel this player should be taken as opposed to another player. In the end if falls on Jerry

By Jerry's own admission, he was the only person among those in the staff, including Stephen, to "convince" him. He also revealed that Stephen pinned him to the wall in anger to "convince'' him to change his mind. Yes, I realize he has the last word and all that but at least, he listens. Thank God and the good sense of his advisors for that huge favor.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree with Hostile on this point. What other teams call a GM this team calls a Director of Player Personnel. In the Dallas system, the GM is a money man, not a player guy. As the other teams define the GM role, Stephen Jones has the title and Will McClay has 99% of the work of a 'player style' GM..

This is not new. This was the division of work when Tex Schramm was around as well.

D-
:hammer:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't believe that Manziel "I had the card in my hand" story for a second. That was media hype fodder. They help him stay in the news, he helps them with juicy tidbits like this. Makes for good stories. If he wanted Manziel, we'd have had Manziel. I think it was about as legit as "Dak will only be down a few days."

You can believe whatever you choose to, but that doesn't mean I have to agree -- and I don't. I do respect your opinion, nonetheless.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You can believe whatever you choose to, but that doesn't mean I have to agree -- and I don't. I do respect your opinion, nonetheless.

well-ladafrickinda.gif

fivetwos

Reaction score
I have never met a person worth $5-10B but I assume almost all are narcissists. Jerry is probably the most down to earth billionaire one could ever meet.

A lot of the players are probably 10 times more narcissistic than Jerry.

For the most part, I have found really rich people tend to be jerks. Jerry is not a jerk if I had to guess. Jerry will buy you a drink and give you free tickets.
Not sure of your direct experience with narcissists, but they can be quite charming.

I don't disagree with any of your points though.