News: BR: NFL Agent Rips Cowboys' Jerry Jones: 'He's a Narcissist . He Plays GM Like a Fan'

Creeper

Reaction score
And in other news, water is wet!

I mean come on. Jerry plays GM like a fan. Of course he does. He is a very rich guy who bought a football team so he can play GM. He doesn't have to play fantasy football because he is rich enough to buy a team to play with. We hate it but if you bought a Ferrari would you have someone else drive it around for you or would you want to drive it yourself?

Big_D

Reaction score
Thank you Captain Obvious! It must have been a slow news day.

600x400.jpg

Last edited:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
After owning the team for decades, you would think Jerry could run it better than some teenager playing Madden. I guess not.

Jipper

Reaction score

I mean come on. Jerry plays GM like a fan. Of course he does. He is a very rich guy who bought a football team so he can play GM. He doesn't have to play fantasy football because he is rich enough to buy a team to play with. We hate it but if you bought a Ferrari would you have someone else drive it around for you or would you want to drive it yourself?

i get the comparison, but its more like he bought a race car and needs a professional driver to take it around the track. He can line up the sponerships, make sure the garage is top notch and give the pitcrew the right tools, but there has to be a professional drive in the car or its never going to reach its full potential.

now, if he wants to take it out for a spin, great! but in a race, leave it to the pros.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Sure but, the ability to obtain a driver's license vs running a pro sports team are a bit different.

Dre11

Reaction score
Jerry’s actions speak louder than his words. He is trying to win, but he wants to win doing things his way and he will accept losing if things are not done his way.

Really? I guess you missed all the people in and around the organization that's been saying Jerry has stepped back from being then sole decision maker, also, the man has 3 rings as a Gm, and almost 30 years experience. even if you're one to believe he had absolutely nothing to do with those rings, remember, he hired Jimmy, which is the job of the GM.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Why is this news? He fired or ran off 3 Hall of Fame NFL Head Coaches (Landry, Johnson, and Parcells). Blew a chance at 2 Dynasties (90's with Jimmy Johnson and 2000's with Parcells and Peyton). Then hires HC puppets that leap frog past the Head Coach to the Owner GM. He ain't no Al Davis who played, coach, and owned in the NFL. He will not let a HC lead the team and he tried to cut off the legs of the only leader he had at QB since Aikman by franchise tagging a winning playoff QB in Prescott.

Jerry Dumbo GM Jones still drafts WRs when defense is the worst in Cowboys history.

As the coach who Jerry hired to get his stadium then ran off saying "he wasn't worth ......it", "you are what you are".

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Really? I guess you missed all the people in and around the organization that's been saying Jerry has stepped back from being then sole decision maker, also, the man has 3 rings as a Gm, and almost 30 years experience. even if you're one to believe he had absolutely nothing to do with those rings, remember, he hired Jimmy, which is the job of the GM.

I've for one have never claimed that Jerry had "absolutely nothing" to do with the 3 rings. It's well known that Jimmy wanted James Francis instead of Emmitt in their first draft. And Jerry was at least partially responsible for the idea of the Walker trade. Just a couple of examples, I'm sure there were other contributions by Jerry over the years, though they're not public knowledge, that were part of the 1990's success.

But to say Jerry spent 25 years in the oil business and was a large contributor to the 3 SBs just makes zero sense as well. If nothing else Jimmy knew the players, other coaches and so forth that Jerry simply had no knowledge of or experience with. For Jerry to just waltz into the NFL and immediately have a huge impact on the team has no support in reality, no matter how smart he was. Would you want Albert Einstein doing brain surgery on you after 25 years studying physics? Of course not, he was a genius but not knowledgeable or experienced doing surgery.

Nobody's changing their minds from what I said, don't expect that, but for me I'd place Jerry at about 20% responsible for the 3 rings. Since then I have no doubt he's become more adept at being in the NFL, but after even the first 10-15 years after Jimmy he should have put his ego aside and hire a competent gm....

nobody

Reaction score
I both agree and don't agree. Narcissists don't really care about their people. Jerry tries to take care of them even when they're down and look like lost causes. In everything else he runs the team like a narcissist.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Jerry is not using the Tex Schramm model of football management.

What Jerry does has gotten him into the Hall of Fame. And it's not for his management of players. It's for his ability to do the money job.
Other people (Will McClay) are doing the player job. Jerry just supervises that, in a Fred Sanford kind of way.

D-

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I both agree and don't agree. Narcissists don't really care about their people. Jerry tries to take care of them even when they're down and look like lost causes. In everything else he runs the team like a narcissist.
All narcissists are not the same. It is a misnomer that all narcissists cannot express empathy for others.

Jerry Jones' own words label him as a narcissist, when asked if he would hire someone as his general manager:

"Yes, if I for sure knew he would win a Super Bowl. If I for sure knew he would win a Super Bowl, yesterday. The facts are we know that only God knows who can win the Super Bowl and who won't, and we know how many other parts have to come together."

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports...l-gm/287-7ce34cd8-0525-4312-b677-abfe50c376d1

Unique sense of entitlement is a fundamental narcissist trait. Jones' answer is based on an impossible premise facing anyone with authority to act upon their own wishes. Jones, himself, was in the exact same position before he even bought the franchise. He would accomplish his goal of winning not one but multiple Super Bowls because he, the owner and self-named President of the franchise, installed himself as its general manager. Thus, in his mind, he was "destined" to win a Super Bowl (even though no one told him he would) and no one else can possibly convince him that they could do the same as he did IF given the opportunity.

Jones is a mixture of several personality traits. Narcissism is one of them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is not using the Tex Schramm model of football management.
LOL, I do not think you'd find a player, including Roger, that would say Tex wanted to be their pal. Especially Duane Thomas.

Tex did his job, he took the heat for playing hardball and there were rumblings about how he dealt with the players long before Duane Thomas. He was an owner's GM, not a players' GM and he didn't care what the players thought because they were employees. I often wonder how he would have fared with free agency, I do not think he would have liked it at all and would have fought that tooth and nail.

People talking about Booger being a marketing guy, he's a child compared to Schramm and what he did with the Cowboys. He understood he needed some sizzle but he never deserted the steak and Booger is all sizzle and how it looks, all style and no substance. Schramm got the substance first, then he sweetened that with a style. Booger doesn't know substance so it's all style and that is all about ego.

Schramm's usage and building of his radio network throughout the Southwest and Mexico is textbook marketing and he was smart to give stations free programming and his sponsors more ears. There was a very good reason why Rozelle held Schramm in such high regard and why Tex always had his ear. Schramm brought up playing internationally while they were still expanding domestically and was instrumental in how exhibition games, the pre preseason games, were used to market the league.

Schramm was a true visionary. Booger just saw what was there and exploited it. If Booger hadn't hired Johnson and gotten the hell out of the way, odds are he sells the team and Schramm is back in the saddle.