News: BR: Report: Cowboys Stunned by Dak Prescott's Stance on Length of New Contract

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It's been a year. How can they be "stunned"?
the cowboys = the jones boys, and I doubt they are stunned, but they may be surprised and irritated that dak turned down
all their offers lol.
I think only media people may be stunned.
The jones boys have developed a rep for caving, and now it is biting them in the .....!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Mahommes is a threat anywhere. Dak struggles in the redzone. Dang this stat is so deceitful
To be honest all the garrett teams were bad in the redzone.
That is why it will be interesting to see how they do this season with MM.

KC has a great off playbook, and they execute the plays good, a lot of innovative plays and that all helps mahomes
look good.

Blake

Reaction score
Dak has a little Steve Austin in him. I like it. "I want 4 years and that's the bottom line because I said so!" *cue glass shatter, heavy guitar riff, and beer toss*

RandyOh

Reaction score
All true, but no way he does it without a guaranteed money. He's looking at one year sooner. 4 vs 5 years.
Not saying to slap him in the face with minimal guarantee money offer but he shouldn’t get to demand his preferred amount of guaranteed money as well. Guaranteed money is a security blanket for players signing long contracts like how Tyron Smith pretty much signed a career long contract for his first extension. Just my opinion tho. If your gonna force an organization to go along with your personal gamble where you can leave such organization much sooner, then they should decide how much security they will guarantee you.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think it's a big deal because of the upfront guaranteed money. If you only have 4 years to work with, it makes it hard to fit under the cap. If you have five, it's easier to spread out. JMO

They should set it on a five year deal with the last year voidable by Dak.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
the cowboys = the jones boys, and I doubt they are stunned, but they may be surprised and irritated that dak turned down
all their offers lol.
I think only media people may be stunned.
The jones boys have developed a rep for caving, and now it is biting them in the .....!

I wondered about all the caving. Thought it was Jerry expecting a huge bump to the cap, and trying to lock in a lot of players before that.

Trouble is, Dak seems to expect the same bump to the cap, and so won't sign at current cap levels.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Dak could probably say the same thing about the Cowboys unwillingness to come down from 5 years....

I don't blame Dak for wanting 4 years - he probably would prefer 3.

It isn't about maximizing this contract, it's about maximizing his NEXT contract. The younger he is as a free agent, the bigger that next one will be.

Dak wanted 3, dallas 6.

Both came down 1 year.

I dont see what Dak gains with his habits. He will play under the tag then demand another 4 year contract next year. So essentially he played for 5 years before he can get a third one. So what about all that fuzz....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They should set it on a five year deal with the last year voidable by Dak.

How would that work? The money is paid out up front so that's not a great idea if you are the team. All that would happen is the team would still have to treat it like a 4 year deal because they would not be able to take the chance that Dak didn't get out. That serves no purpose.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dak wanted 3, dallas 6.

Both came down 1 year.

I dont see what Dak gains with his habits. He will play under the tag then demand another 4 year contract next year. So essentially he played for 5 years before he can get a third one. So what about all that fuzz....
Because he and his agent understand that waiting to be extended for a 4 year will cost more than it would now. By the staff waiting to extend him, the price goes up. Instead of extending him after year 3. QB markets are insane, but it is what it is.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Yep. Now Watson (and soon to be Mahomes) is seeking a 3 year deal.

AGAIN, the party that is being fairly unreasonable (not that unreasonable but still outside the norm) are the Cowboys. What Dak is asking/offering is perfectly in-line with what is peers are getting...4 year deals...Goff/Wentz: 4 year extensions...Tannehill, Brady, Bridgewater, Rivers, Brees, Cousins all got 4 year or less contracts.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not saying to slap him in the face with minimal guarantee money offer but he shouldn’t get to demand his preferred amount of guaranteed money as well. Guaranteed money is a security blanket for players signing long contracts like how Tyron Smith pretty much signed a career long contract for his first extension. Just my opinion tho. If your gonna force an organization to go along with your personal gamble where you can leave such organization much sooner, then they should decide how much security they will guarantee you.
Some do that which is why players walk. They no longer have take it or leave it offers.

I wouldn't use Smith as an example as he gave them a family discount because they helped him with his situation with his family and he said as much. They went above and beyond for a tormented 20 year old and he returned the favor.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think some fail to take into consideration the position in question. There is no more ego driven position in all of pro sports than that of the NFL QB. They keep score in many ways and if you don't think what they are paid isn't high on the list, think again.

I see a lot of "hey, he's not as good as Mahomes or Wilson, who does he think he is"? He's the guy that beat the odds and became the DC QB and who do you think he thinks he is?

What experts we are on how other people should conduct their business and lives. Deciding on what he "deserves" and crossing business with leadership.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Some do that which is why players walk. They no longer have take it or leave it offers.

I wouldn't use Smith as an example as he gave them a family discount because they helped him with his situation with his family and he said as much. They went above and beyond for a tormented 20 year old and he returned the favor.
Smith wasn't so much an example of his actual situation but more like how high amounts of guarantee money should go to a player willing to sign such a long contract with you.

Verdict

Reaction score
How would that work? The money is paid out up front so that's not a great idea if you are the team. All that would happen is the team would still have to treat it like a 4 year deal because they would not be able to take the chance that Dak didn't get out. That serves no purpose.

Actually, it bridges the gap in negotiations. The Cowboys want to prorate his signing bonus over 5 years. Dak wants a 4 year deal.

If the Cowboys do a 5 year deal with a 5th year opt out option for Prescott, then the Cowboys can spread the full cap hit over 5 years and then once Prescott voids the last year the cap hit for the remaining 1/5 of the signing bonus will be dead money in year 5 if Prescott voids the 5th year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Actually, it bridges the gap in negotiations. The Cowboys want to prorate his signing bonus over 5 years. Dak wants a 4 year deal.

If the Cowboys do a 5 year deal with a 5th year opt out option for Prescott, then the Cowboys can spread the full cap hit over 5 years and then once Prescott voids the last year the cap hit for the remaining 1/5 of the signing bonus will be dead money in year 5 if Prescott voids the 5th year.

I would be interested in seeing how this works. If a contract is voided, it is my understanding that all cap hits accelerate into the current cap year so essentially, it would all land in year 4. If it can be spread out, even though the contract option is not picked up, that's fine but I would have to see that in writting.

Of course, instead of writing a deal that guarantees more up front money, you can simply write a deal with a 5th year option with less up front money and more back loaded money.

John813

Reaction score

They could throw a lot of, non guaranteed, money into the 5th year to make the first few years more manageable for a salary cap purpose. By year 5, if Dak is still considered good/very good/great/etc he would stand to make more guaranteed money, including a huge signing bonus going that route, even if he voids that year. It would definitely put pressure on the Cowboys to get him re-signed the year before if he hints he would opt out.

It would help the team in that the deal is drafted like a 5 year note and caps are spread out like so. However, Dak gets his 4 year deal.

They could resolve the Dead cap by giving a smaller signing bonus, but maybe have the first three years as fully guaranteed base. Or the team could get a new deal done before the voiding of the 5th year and there's no dead cap hit

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They could throw a lot of, non guaranteed, money into the 5th year to make the first few years more manageable for a salary cap purpose. By year 5, if Dak is still considered good/very good/great/etc he would stand to make more guaranteed money, including a huge signing bonus going that route, even if he voids that year. It would definitely put pressure on the Cowboys to get him re-signed the year before if he hints he would opt out.

It would help the team in that the deal is drafted like a 5 year note and caps are spread out like so. However, Dak gets his 4 year deal.

They could resolve the Dead cap by giving a smaller signing bonus, but maybe have the first three years as fully guaranteed base. Or the team could get a new deal done before the voiding of the 5th year and there's no dead cap hit

Well, they could do that, but I think they tried to do that initially and that was a problem with Dak and his representation. So essentially, they would just be going back to where they were previously. The question would be, will Dak and his team accept that kind of deal, IDK?