News: BR: Stephen Jones on Cowboys Fans' Frustrations: You Don't Win Super Bowl in Offseason

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stafford wasn’t a FA he was traded.

Which I'm guessing is an even worse transgression in your mode of thinking b/c not only did they "overpay an outsider" but gave up draft picks for the privilege.

...... the point is the same. You don't stand pat with the same team that couldn't get it done the year before. You go outside the organization for a talent infusion. That's what the good teams do.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Or more on point, while it is indeed true you don't win a SB in the offseason, you sure can lose one...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Which I'm guessing is an even worse transgression in your mode of thinking b/c not only did they "overpay an outsider" but gave up draft picks for the privilege.

...... the point is the same. You don't stand pat with the same team that couldn't get it done the year before. You go outside the organization for a talent infusion. That's what the good teams do.

Matt Stafford had a reasonable contract last season. They extended him after the Super Bowl. The Cowboys aren’t standing pat. They signed an outside free agent and have 9 draft picks. Like I said if you look around the league most of these over priced top-tier free agents that everyone on this board wishes we would go after don’t make a significant impact on their new teams. None that we’ve ever signed except for Deion made a significant impact that led to a postseason win. Other than Matt Stafford who the Rams traded for the players that impacted them the most throughout the season and in the Super Bowl were players they drafted Cooper Kupp and Aaron Donald. History has repeatedly shown you build great teams through the draft. If some of these high-priced top-tier free agents were so good they wouldn’t be allowed to walk.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Matt Stafford had a reasonable contract last season. They extended him after the Super Bowl. The Cowboys aren’t standing pat. They signed an outside free agent and have 9 draft picks. Like I said if you look around the league most of these over priced top-tier free agents that everyone on this board wishes we would go after don’t make a significant impact on their new teams. None that we’ve ever signed except for Deion made a significant impact that led to a postseason win. Other than Matt Stafford who the Rams traded for the players that impacted them the most throughout the season and in the Super Bowl were players they drafted Cooper Kupp and Aaron Donald. History has repeatedly shown you build great teams through the draft. If some of these high-priced top-tier free agents were so good they wouldn’t be allowed to walk.

The fact is that the Rams trade picks for players a lot more than most teams. Does that imply that every good player on their team comes from somewhere else? Of course not. I know the Rams have homegrown players. I also know they have traded away every first round pick since 2016. It has worked for them bringing in guys like Von Miller, Jalen Ramsey, Leonard Floyd, and Odell Beckham. What has Dallas done? They have been doing exactly what you are saying. They build through the draft and rarely ever sign a significant free agent or make trades. It is not working and hasn't worked for 25 years running.

The fact is that the Rams have a very proactive front office that isn't content to allow the draft to dictate their ceiling.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The fact is that the Rams trade picks for players a lot more than most teams. Does that imply that every good player on their team comes from somewhere else? Of course not. I know the Rams have homegrown players. I also know they have traded away every first round pick since 2016. It has worked for them bringing in guys like Von Miller, Jalen Ramsey, Leonard Floyd, and Odell Beckham. What has Dallas done? They have been doing exactly what you are saying. They build through the draft and rarely ever sign a significant free agent or make trades. It is not working and hasn't worked for 25 years running.

The fact is that the Rams have a very proactive front office that isn't content to allow the draft to dictate their ceiling.

What the Rams did this past season is very rare. You don’t see other teams trading their first round draft pick year after year. The Rams had a strong core group which they drafted and added a few veteran players via trade to push them over the top. The Buccaneers did a similar thing the previous year by adding free agents Brady, Gronk and Antonio Brown. They also had a very strong core group which they drafted but they needed a QB. The Rams are going to fall off in the next year or two. Not having those top draft picks is going to catch up with them but they were willing to risk that for a championship. Every great team that won a championship for the Cowboys was built through the draft. All their key players in the 70s and 90s except for Charles Haley and Jay Novacek they drafted. All their best players on their current team they drafted.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You position yourself for a championship in the offseason and regular season but they’re won in the postseason.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Success = When PREPARATION meets opportunity.
Go lay on the beach Stephen, while others are preparing in the offseason.

jnday

Reaction score
Stephen is ALMOST saying the same thing as another dofus owners son in another sport said a few days ago.

Here's what Cincinnati Reds president and CEO (the owners son) had to say:

Phil Castellini's response to #SellTheTeamBob?

"Well, where are you going to go?" he told Scott Sloan and Mo Egger on 700-WLW when asked why fans should remain loyal. "Sell the team to who? That's the other thing: You want to have this debate? .... What would you do with this team to have it more profitable, make more money, compete more in the current economic system that this game exist? It would be to pick it up and move it somewhere else.

"Be careful what you ask for."

Go ahead, Stephen. Say it. You know you want too.
Elon Musk could pay for this team with his pocket change. Elon likes to be at the top of any business that he is involved in. Elon has moved to Texas, so he would be the perfect owner IMO.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
What does that even mean? Plenty of Super Bowl teams are built via trades or free agency. Even if they're not, the offseason is preparation for the season. You build your team then. I can't image what the heck he meant by that...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Elon Musk could pay for this team with his pocket change. Elon likes to be at the top of any business that he is involved in. Elon has moved to Texas, so he would be the perfect owner IMO.

To be honest Elon could end up just like Jerry the owner/GM on TV and fce of the franchise...not sure this works out diferent.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I remember when I used to believe the team will be better off when Jerry is no longer in charge.

I now find myself hoping that Jerry is always in charge and Stephen never takes over.

He's 100% worse than Jerry at this.
If Rachel Phelps from Major League was an NFL owner, she'd be Stephen Jones.

starfan1

Reaction score
I used to have high hopes that once Stephen took over and Booger was less active that there would be renewed hope. Stephen is even a bigger dipstick. Are there anymore jones kids that have potential?l :laugh: