News: BR: Stephen Jones on Cowboys Fans' Frustrations: You Don't Win Super Bowl in Offseason

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You get a sense he's frustrated ( with fans and media ) by the tone of his comments. Very defensive.......

Anyone else remembers Jimmy Johnson said during the 90s Super Bowls ARE won in the offseason, starting with OTAs?

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I imagined what the posts here would be like before I clicked the thread I was right

GoldenR

Reaction score
Stephen is still thinking about the 2005 NFL draft. If you read some of that clowns quotes over the years he still brings up Ware, Spears, Ratliff, and Canty. He takes great pride in saying he had a hand in finding those defensive starters in the draft. He has now convinced Jerry it will happen again. Soon, he will be taking over full reigns of our beloved DALLAS COWBOYS!----------------Good times people.

Motorola

Reaction score
Answer: No. Both Stephen AND Jerry have had weekly radio shows for years. Name another NFL franchise that rolls out two of their front office execs each week, often contradicting their HC. Been doing it for several years. And No, Jerry is FULLY in control. At least that’s what he says in public.
Living outside of Texas - I just aware of Jerry's radio gig.
I've practically ignored/ refused to watch or listen to coverage of any Cowboys pressers and interview by Jones & Jones for close to a decade. I force myself to view and or listen the extracted segments often made available by the national sports media if I deem so information can be gleaned from their lips.
BTW - I should tune in more often to 105.3 more often this year through the "Audacy" Radio app.
Listened in a few days after the wildcard loss - one of the morning hosts just lambasted how that game reflected how the franchise can't maintain consistency in getting better.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Just wow. There you have it cowboy fans. The laziest front office in the NFL trying to justify it.
Stephen doesn't even have a chair in his office anymore behind his desk.
He has a hammock.
With arm length access to tequilas and ice cold beers.

I envy his Margaritaville ways, but this isn't how you run a team.

Plankton

Reaction score
smokey-and-the-bandit-little-enos.gif

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Well Stephen Son of a Dumbo GM. You do win Super Bowls in the off season. You should have paid attention to Jimmy Johnson, Bob Ackles, and John Wooten. They won their Super Bowls in the off season when they signed before the season Jack Del Rio, Ray Horton, Tommie Agee, Jay Novacek, James Washington, Vison Smith, Tony Slaton, Alfredo Roberts, Alan Veingrad, Frank Cornish, scouted and drafted 3 starters with their 1st 3 picks in 5 consecutive drafts, drafted Steve Walsh in the Supplemental Draft, and traded for Dale Hellestrae.

If you don't win in the off season, why have the draft, free agency, un-drafted free agency, and the supplemental draft? That statement shows you why the Dallas Cowboys have become the Arlington Jonesboys, and has not been in a NFC Championship game since 1995.

Stephen Jones is no officially titled Son of a Dumbo GM after his father Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

doomsday808

Reaction score
Riiiiiggghhhhtttt Steven.
Super Bowls are usually the last game of the season. Maybe Jerry can create an "Off-Season" Super Bowl that the Cowboys can participate so we can feel better about ourselves.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Their coaches and personnel people spend the time required to learn the players in the league. Those are the experts. It’s not difficult learning the players in the league it’s whether they fit your system and are about winning and not all about money. Overpaying free agents hasn’t worked for a lot of teams which is why there’s still several big name free agents left.

Those guys aren't making the decisions and no team in the league functions in this way. So, its just a coincidence that every off season there just aren't any players who fit our system? Thats ridiculous. We haven't even tried loading up on free agents to "go for it". Loading up has worked for the Eagles, Niners, and Rams. What team is simply relying on its drafted players , resigning them , and getting to super bowls? NOBODY

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Those guys aren't making the decisions and no team in the league functions in this way. So, its just a coincidence that every off season there just aren't any players who fit our system? Thats ridiculous. We haven't even tried loading up on free agents to "go for it". Loading up has worked for the Eagles, Niners, and Rams. What team is simply relying on its drafted players , resigning them , and getting to super bowls? NOBODY

Those guys are the ones that have a big impact on the decisions the Joneses make. I didn’t say everyone in free agency doesn’t fit our system, the Jones boys don’t want to overpay for outsiders. It’s never paid off. It doesn’t pay off for a lot of teams. The players that get you to the Super Bowl are usually the players you drafted except for the Rams this past season. They chose to trade away their first round picks for veterans. That will catch up with them in a couple of years.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Yea, LOL, I said: The fans want SBs? My Daddy just made made $20M before breakfast and we have plans to set sail on a Mediterranean getaway for the next month. You want to play games or keep that old goose goose laying eggs?

H7LN5EY2LRHQ3DLNCOYCCSEKCA.JPG

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
Ahh yes you do! The offseason is all about improving for the season. This quote is flat out ridiculous and exactly what you’d expect from this front office!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Why are these idiots talking about winning a Super Bowl? How about we MAKE IT to a Conference title game.

LOL.........yah, that loser has never won one in the offseason either. These clowns are pathetic.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Stephen might want to check the last time this organization won something during the season. This clown is completely content with not winning as long as the money is rolling in. I truly thought once Jerrah was out of the picture this franchise would have a chance. Stephen Jones is worse than Jerrah let that sink in. Get ready for another 26 years.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Living outside of Texas - I just aware of Jerry's radio gig.
I've practically ignored/ refused to watch or listen to coverage of any Cowboys pressers and interview by Jones & Jones for close to a decade. I force myself to view and or listen the extracted segments often made available by the national sports media if I deem so information can be gleaned from their lips.
BTW - I should tune in more often to 105.3 more often this year through the "Audacy" Radio app.
Listened in a few days after the wildcard loss - one of the morning hosts just lambasted how that game reflected how the franchise can't maintain consistency in getting better.
A better listen is Dallas radio station KTCK 96.7 the ticket. They are not tied to the Cowboys like 105.3 and are much more open about what’s going on. You can get it on line through I heart radio. Worth a listen.

D4KADON

Reaction score
This is an incredibly dumb comment by him. It's also factually incorrect. The last two super bowl champions have won super bowls because of decisions LINKED through free agency.

The difference is they know what they are doing.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I guarantee you blueblood70 (or whatever his name is) fist pumps when he listens to a Stephen Jones interview.