Bradlee Anae needs to play more

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The coaching staff back then didn't think so. All Romo did during the 2005 season was handle the snaps for PAT and FG attempts. He didn't replace Bledsoe until the sixth game in 2006.
Coaching staff was wrong. Same way they were wrong in 2006 until Bledsoe almost made the team quit on bill if he didn't put Romo in. We were decent enough in 2005 to keep that bum in over Romo. I remember his 350 yard preseason game in 2005 vs Minnesota. I knew he was legit same way I knew dak was in preseason

lostar2009

Reaction score
Because they want Gregory, Law, and Smith to shine. Before then it was giving Griffen the spot light. Me personally I believe it's JJ doing this. He want to prove Gregory can play. But not sure why they not at the lease giving him a few snap here and there.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Coaching staff was wrong. Same way they were wrong in 2006 until Bledsoe almost made the team quit on bill if he didn't put Romo in. We were decent enough in 2005 to keep that bum in over Romo. I remember his 350 yard preseason game in 2005 vs Minnesota. I knew he was legit same way I knew dak was in preseason

I remember them holding Sean Lee out for a long time. I believe they finally played him towards the end of the year or the following.

Motorola

Reaction score
Well, Romo got his chance...and did well. 127 starts - 2nd in franchise history
(Aikman - 165, Staubach -112, White - 92, Merideth- 83)

Aven8

Reaction score
Anae doesn’t have tangibles that warrant the playing time. He’s one of those guys that just needs to play football.

This doesn’t surprise me. Gallimore sat on the bench too for Poe etc. Coaches generally aren’t the smartest dudes contrary to popular belief.

quickccc

Reaction score
Anae is a JAG. This love affair you guys have with him......I get it if he's done something but he hasn't. Who are you taking off the field to put him on it?

Dorace Armstrong .. for starters. ;)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i don't understand why coaching staff Jim Tomsula is red shirting Bradlee Anae almost the same way
Reggie Robinson is being sat out this year .

Anae has been in on a few special team snaps but nuhtin major role there.

- Anae collected 30 sacks at Utah St. - so he was a sack machine there

- Anae put on impressive at Senior Bowl weekend proving unblockable in both practices and game itself

- Anae from all reports that put on another display in Cowboys training camp when he was unblockable

- Bradlee fell in draft to the 5th rd because typical scouts were wary of his poor workout numbers

i don't think its just Anae not being ready to show, because if not for the injuries of McCoy, Hill and the disappointments of Poe and Crawford, Nevillie Gallimore wouldve still been sitting the bench, instead of displaying
some ability ala Steelers .

There are times like this where these coaches that are holding back these players ......:banghead:

You have not seen him against NFL players. The coaches see him in multiple practices every week.

I was a fan of the pick but Anae is not remotely close to Randy Gregory in physical talent...

quickccc

Reaction score
You have not seen him against NFL players. The coaches see him in multiple practices every week.

I was a fan of the pick but Anae is not remotely close to Randy Gregory in physical talent...

just as there's a reason why these same coaches you're referring to better seeing guys like useless crawford and poe were
gaining far more plays and reps ahead of Gallimore who was getting sparingly little to no reps at all.

and how did you get to comparing Gregory to Anaes in this ? I'm not implying Anae replacing Gregory...
Bradlee couldve (and shouldve been?) taking away Armstrong's reps as well as relief Aldon, Gregory and Law in his rotation role.

I'm basically saying by this time, Anae should at least be the 4th DE, instead of being held to 3 snaps in packages, special teams or game inactive
.. and what has Armstrong displayed, flashed or given us ?...:rolleyes:

fivetwos

Reaction score

Gregory on the straight and narrow was a top 10 overall type player in his draft IIRC.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Still....the point remains that you CANNOT both say you build through the draft yet not play 4th and 5th round picks.

If that's the case you blew it, and you have no excuse to ignore second contract type free agents.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gregory on the straight and narrow was a top 10 overall type player in his draft IIRC.
What most fans don't realize is that Gregory was top 2 if not the best run defender of the good outside pass rushers in his draft class. This was true despite Gregory weighing 235 at the combine

fivetwos

Reaction score
What most fans don't realize is that Gregory was top 2 if not the best run defender of the good outside pass rushers in his draft class. This was true despite Gregory weighing 235 at the combine
He has had one problem that I can see...being monumentally stupid.

It happens.

He can rush the passer and IMO is underrated vs run.

That said, I need them to find a way to get Anae on the field. There is no overwhelming population of so many pass rushers in Dallas that we think we have enough. He needs snaps.

Edit....all kind of moot IMO if they dont get DT fixed.

You can comment better than I, but it seems that the 1T is extremely important in this scheme, and we have no one that can play it

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
just as there's a reason why these same coaches you're referring to better seeing guys like useless crawford and poe were
gaining far more plays and reps ahead of Gallimore who was getting sparingly little to no reps at all.

and how did you get to comparing Gregory to Anaes in this ? I'm not implying Anae replacing Gregory...
Bradlee couldve (and shouldve been?) taking away Armstrong's reps as well as relief Aldon, Gregory and Law in his rotation role.

I'm basically saying by this time, Anae should at least be the 4th DE, instead of being held to 3 snaps in packages, special teams or game inactive
.. and what has Armstrong displayed, flashed or given us ?...:rolleyes:

How could you possible know that Anae should be the 4th DE. We have not seen him against NFL OLinemen other than a handful of snaps.

It does not really help a player to play if they're not ready.

They use Armstrong as a run downs DE and he is good in that role.

I was fan of Anae before the Cowboys drafted him. I had him ranked as about a late 3rd round pick.

Gallimore struggled early in the season when he got snaps. He still has issues with double teams but is good against single blocking.

Crawford can pass rush as a DT. He is not useless in that role. He will get blown up by double teams on running plays but Gallimore at this point has the same issue.

Gallimore has the size to eventually overcome the double team issue; whereas, Crawford does not.

I would like to see Anae, but only if he is "ready enough" to not be overwhelmed.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

Why do people say that bs about coaches seeing the players and we dont. How many times do backups have to come in and outplay the starter to see the coaches here aren't always right? Take donavan Wilson and darian Thompson for example. Or Poe/woods. Why was Poe starting over Woods? Money....the dallas way

stilltheguru

Reaction score
How could you possible know that Anae should be the 4th DE. We have not seen him against NFL OLinemen other than a handful of snaps.

It does not really help a player to play if they're not ready.

They use Armstrong as a run downs DE and he is good in that role.

I was fan of Anae before the Cowboys drafted him. I had him ranked as about a late 3rd round pick.

Gallimore struggled early in the season when he got snaps. He still has issues with double teams but is good against single blocking.

Crawford can pass rush as a DT. He is not useless in that role. He will get blown up by double teams on running plays but Gallimore at this point has the same issue.

Gallimore has the size to eventually overcome the double team issue; whereas, Crawford does not.

I would like to see Anae, but only if he is "ready enough" to not be overwhelmed.
He should get the OPPORTUNITY.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
ya man,, been wondering the same but you said it first and I stand behind that premise as well.
I liked the pick, but show me before you tell me... lol
Exactly my stance. Loved the pick as well but man.....guys really make it hard here to be realistic about a guy lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How is he going to show anything when he hasn't been given the opportunities. Same could've been said about Gallimore, and look how thats turned out once Poe was cut and NG was given an opportunity. Might as well give Anae a shot.
Gallimore has been getting reps. He started getting more yes but he obviously showed something in those limited reps that allowed for him to get this shot. I have nothing against Anae I just don't know what you guys have seen in him in order to take anyone off of the field.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Romo was better than Bledsoe in 2005 sir. And I wont even acknowledge heath and wilcox on the same level. Smh
They most definetly were on the same level. Neither one was a very good safety = same level lol. Don't sit here and try to make Heath out to be something he wasn't.

And Romo was on the bench because he was being developed. Whether you think he was better than Bledsoe is irrelevant. I think most knew Justin Herbert was better than Tyrod Taylor but you don't throw them out there before they are ready. Same goes for Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Gallimore has been getting reps. He started getting more yes but he obviously showed something in those limited reps that allowed for him to get this shot. I have nothing against Anae I just don't know what you guys have seen in him in order to take anyone off of the field.
I agree brother, but when he did play on a very limited basis he had a sack and some tackles. Just wanna see what he has, I watched him a lot since I'm on the west coast. But you're correct, now that gregory is back I dont see who comes off the field.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has had one problem that I can see...being monumentally stupid.

It happens.

He can rush the passer and IMO is underrated vs run.

That said, I need them to find a way to get Anae on the field. There is no overwhelming population of so many pass rushers in Dallas that we think we have enough. He needs snaps.

Edit....all kind of moot IMO if they dont get DT fixed.

You can comment better than I, but it seems that the 1T is extremely important in this scheme, and we have no one that can play it

• Are you referring to Gregory's weed issue as the reason that he is stupid?
    • Gregory had the highest SAT score of any draft pick since Jerry has owned the team.
  • The 1tech/0tech position is challenging for a team to address.
  • In games like this past game against the Steelers, a huge 1tech/0tech type was not needed and even if they had one would he would likely receive limited snaps.
  • The Steelers played either 3 WR or 4 WR sets on all snaps. All of their RBs combined for only 65% of the snaps.
  • The Eagles played WRs on almost all snaps also.
  • In both of those games the Cowboys played almost all snaps in Nickel.
  • In those types of games, they need a "Nickel 1tech" that has pass rush ability. That would have been a perfect role for Trysten Hill.
  • Hill is much better at holding up against double teams than Gallimore and probably about as good at it as A. Woods.
  • A. Woods is best in that role also because he has some pass rush ability but has limitations as a run defending 1tech/0tech type DT.
  • They added the DT Ankou who is a run stopper type with zero pass rush ability.
  • It is difficult for teams with good defensive rosters to carry that type of player unless he is an overwhelmingly good run defender. Ankou is good but not overwhelming as a run defender.
  • In the upcoming Vikings game they're likely going to struggle in run defense. A big time 1tech/0tech would be great to have against this type of offense.