Brain, what gives...

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I came to this site with my new laptop and out pops a virus that my Symantec quarantines. What's the story?

David :confused:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
davidyee said:
I came to this site with my new laptop and out pops a virus that my Symantec quarantines. What's the story?

I seriously doubt the virus was from this site.....I have never heard of a site that caused someone to have a virus just by visiting....normally you would have to click on a popup or download something from a site to get a virus.

However download this program and run it....someone else reported the same problem and found out it was spyware they had picked up from somewhere.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Download the adaware 6 program and run it....you may be shocked at how much stuff is on your computer and did not know it was on there.

I run the program on my computer every couple of weeks depending on how many sites I visit.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
this time the symantec labelled it as "w32.spybot.worm". It seems to be trying to get into my machine from this site even though I have not punched up any popups.

David

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
davidyee said:
this time the symantec labelled it as "w32.spybot.worm". It seems to be trying to get into my machine from this site even though I have not punched up any popups.

David

Run the ad aware program...it should take care of it for you.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Think you'll need more than Ad-Aware, spybot travels through P2P programs such as Kazaa or MIRC, or worse, if you already have a trojan backdoor installed, according to Norton's site.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

Having anti-virus is a good idea, but you might want to do a trojan scan as well, just to be safe, especially if you don't run P2P or IM apps.

As far as viruses installed, some anti-virus companies (Norton for example) tend to work on java applets that attempt to add bookmarks to your IE, change homepage, etc. A really bad one uses the .class applets, on those as long as Norton catches it you're okay.

drover

Reaction score
davidyee said:

This may be a little too late but if you haven't been able to get rid of your problem try CW Shreader you can down load a free version on the i-net and you will need to run it with win-zip. This is an awesome program that will deystroy every virus that I ever heard of. I've been running it and then after i've run it I'll run adware ver. 6 and I've been running good for a while now