News: Breakdown of Jaylon Smith Contract

kskboys

Reaction score
We got a bargain if he's healthy.
No, we paid him fairly.

And this is what I keep saying. It's the guarantee that matters.

EZ wants a huge amount of money, different aspect entirely. He's already turned down a similar deal. Think about that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True but there was a subtle hidden agenda being executed with this deal getting done at this time. Jerry and Stephen wanted to show the triplets how a team player approaches getting a new deal. Agree or not, this puts pressure on them to give a little on their side to get a deal done. One or two of them may still hold fast in their demands but doing this deal now means there’s less to go around and that will be used in negotiations along with the threat that the last one in line could be left out completely.

No doubt the Cowboys wanted to show this deal to the other players.

Now by holding out Zeke is staying that he is more valuable than Jaylon which could rub some players the wrong way because Jaylon is very popular in the locker-room.

I posted a thread about how agents fear players being with teammates during contract negotiations.
- DLaw's agent feared the start of OTAs when all players would be in town and they would get together with DLaw regardless of whether he showed up to the OTAs.
- Zeke's agent fears Zeke being with teammates now that everyone is back in Dallas. It appears that the agent convinced Zeke to return to Cabo.

CWR

Reaction score
Man Im thrilled about this deal. I've been concerned about re signing him considering the money are looking at spending with our big three.

Silly

Reaction score
At this rate Zeke and Dak are both going to hold out. You have a DE and a wounded LB making more than them

Brax

Reaction score
He's also opening a cryotherapy clinic at The Star, which he'll probably pay $100 a month rent, as well as another business in eyeglasses, I believe.

This is a Tom Brady type of deal.

Maybe they'll help Zeke start a bong company.
did he marry a rich super model???????? just joking

AbeBeta

Reaction score
2020 cap hit of 7.7mil

His high base salaries definitely make me think they restructure him in the upcoming years to drop his cap hits.

You mean like we do just about every time we've got guaranteed salary years?

We've used that structure for years. Convert to bonus if the player is still playing well. Eat the cap hit if he is not so you have the option to move on earlier.

erod

Reaction score
did he marry a rich super model???????? just joking
Brady does business directly with the Patriots. He supplies some fitness service or products. That certainly helps top slip him money off the cap.

Same here with Jaylon's business interests.

Little Jr

Reaction score
It is a good deal for both sides.

The Cowboys get him at a somewhat reasonable average cost per year.

Jaylon get significant guaranteed money.

- If he had a career ending injury in 2019 before the new contract, he would have gotten zero money after the 2019 season.
- They also could have tendered him as a restricted free agent in 2020 which is another year at risk of injury without any future guarantees.
Why does sport Trac have it as a 6 yr deal and OTC has written up as a 5 yr but their cap break down has it as a 6? Sport Trac has it written up as a 6 and broke down as a 6

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Why does sport Trac have it as a 6 yr deal and OTC has written up as a 5 yr but their cap break down has it as a 6? Sport Trac has it written up as a 6 and broke down as a 6
Technically they look at it as 6 because the 2020 restricted year never happened but it still had to be accounted for between the Cowboys and agent.

gmoney112

Reaction score
2020 cap hit of 7.7mil
2021 cap hit of 9.8
2022 cap hit of 11.8
2023 cap hit of 13.6
2024 cap hit of 12.6
2025 cap hit of 12.35

Per spotrac.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jaylon-smith-18982/

His high base salaries definitely make me think they restructure him in the upcoming years to drop his cap hits.

Those won't be high base salaries in 2023+. They're not even that high now. Those salaries will be a steal. As will his cap hit.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
They seem to be doing that with the guys they expect to have their careers in Dallas, like Lee, Frederick and Martin. Gives the FO options if they wait to resign other stars. I fully expect a couple to be restructured because one of our Big 3 will be getting franchised next year IMO.

I like the escalating nature of the contract. Gives him more incentive to continue to play at a high level in order to reach those later years.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, we paid him fairly.

And this is what I keep saying. It's the guarantee that matters.

Exactly. Which is why I think it's a bad deal for a guy still recovering from the injury and has only one good not great season of production.