Breer: If I were a team, I'd call Commanders about Montez Sweat or Chase Young

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is why I was surprised they paid Payne.........talk about a team prioritizing the DT position, this is it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/27/2023-nfl-draft-titans-top-four-college-quarterbacks

If I were a team looking to make a splashy move before or at the draft, I think I’d call the Commanders right now. All you have to do is look at their defensive line group. Jonathan Allen signed a four-year, $72 million extension last year. Daron Payne did a four-year, $90 million deal a couple of weeks ago. Montez Sweat has 29 career sacks and will play on his fifth-year option, presumably, this fall, and the Commanders have a decision to make on Chase Young’s fifth-year option in May.

Now, to be clear, the Commanders haven’t shopped Young or Sweat, to my knowledge.

But it’d seem if you’re another team, it’s at least worth having a discussion with Ron Rivera, Martin Mayhew and Marty Hurney about whether one of those players would be available, given that it might be hard for the franchise to keep all four. Then again, with jobs on the line and new ownership coming in, it might be best just to stand pat and see where those guys can take you in 2023.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Chase Young has an availability problem that Jerry doesn’t like he can’t stay healthy. Doubt Washington would move on from key defensive players. Their defense is the only thing they have to hang their hat on.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Chase Young plus a few picks for Lamar Jackson makes a ton of sense for both sides. Curious if it makes sense for Dan Snyder to make a splash transaction like that which will add significantly to the payroll right before selling the team? I have no idea if that would help or hurt the sell price, or if it even matters at this point?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
This is why I was surprised they paid Payne.........talk about a team prioritizing the DT position, this is it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/27/2023-nfl-draft-titans-top-four-college-quarterbacks

If I were a team looking to make a splashy move before or at the draft, I think I’d call the Commanders right now. All you have to do is look at their defensive line group. Jonathan Allen signed a four-year, $72 million extension last year. Daron Payne did a four-year, $90 million deal a couple of weeks ago. Montez Sweat has 29 career sacks and will play on his fifth-year option, presumably, this fall, and the Commanders have a decision to make on Chase Young’s fifth-year option in May.

Now, to be clear, the Commanders haven’t shopped Young or Sweat, to my knowledge.

But it’d seem if you’re another team, it’s at least worth having a discussion with Ron Rivera, Martin Mayhew and Marty Hurney about whether one of those players would be available, given that it might be hard for the franchise to keep all four. Then again, with jobs on the line and new ownership coming in, it might be best just to stand pat and see where those guys can take you in 2023.
Now would be the prefect time to call Snyder and try to make some outrageous trades for his players since he's selling the club and probably wants very badly to stick it to the league before he's gone. Since both JJ and Snyder were probably the most hated owners among the owners, Snyder could do JJ a huge favor that could help the Cowboys get deep into the playoffs or SB. That would piss off a few owners and the Commissioner to boot!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

The second post informs the 1st.
Lamar would likely not get two R1s based solely on injury concerns and sunk cost of extending him.
Owners do not want to do any more Watson deals.

But Chase Young was a former top 5 pick and an R1 plus an R2 is a reasonably high return.

Its funny that thread has both people stating return is way too high and others saying way too low.