Brett Favre on MM and the Cowboys

plymkr

Reaction score
We have a crap culture Brett.

We treat our players like rock stars and pay them top dollar for giving us mediocre results. That's our standard.

You win 1 playoff game and you buy yourself 5 years as a Cowboy and a big contract.
The first step to change the culture is for Jerry to go to therapy. That probably won't happen so the next step to change the culture is to weed out the players that don't take discipline well. The last 2 days have been encouraging as far as that goes. I'd still like to see Jaylon and DLaw get benched. But trading and cutting players is encouraging.

Blackrain

Reaction score
This isnt rocket science THE GAME HAS CHANGED. Its easy to find players with Talent . We get them all the time they just dont care about winning a SB . Finding players that want to be great and do whatever is necessary to win a SB is what we fail miserably to do .

Dak wanted to win a SB and when he went down whatever few that shared that dream with him looked at that injury and went into full blown PROTECT YOUR CAREER AND MONEY MODE !! Most of these new players could care less about a SB trophy thats something us fans want .

Players today want to make the most money in the very short window that most of them have to do it that dosent include taking any unnecessary chances that could shorten their career and impact what they earn .

To get to that level everyone has to buy in and put getting a SB Trophy as the top Prioroty in their life . Jerrys culture dose not bring those kind of players here for what ever reason . We are poor evaluators of Super Bowl WANT TO other than Dak our teams of late have very little compared to a team like the Pats .

That said its not going to get better till we are able to evaluate players based as much on wanting to win a SB as much as talent . Player unwilling to sacrifice playing only to protect their career is whats giving us this horrible product we are watching now and no coach can fix it . Its a mind set of survival players have adopted for todays league .

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This is the same culture that won 3 Super Bowls. That culture thing is a excuse. Cowboys need to hire a real GM.

The culture that won 3 SBs left with Jimmy Johnson. They were lucky to squeeze out the third one with Switzer. If you're still using things that happened a quarter century and half a dozen coaches ago to rationalize the situation, nothing anyone says will change your mind.

Your last sentence refers directly to the "culture thing" - the GM who should've been fired 20 years ago but will have the job until he dies.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don't think Jaylon would be getting away with his lackadaisical play if Jimmy were the HC.
I seem to remember stories of Jimmy cutting players just to make an example of them.
Jimmy cut special teamers.... not starters. I only remember 1 player being cut... i could be wrong.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I think Jerry is too old at 78 to instill anything except Depends. I think on the male hierarchy scale he isn't Alpha, even Beta, more likely Zapa.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
He got suspended for 5 games during the 1996 season. And got injured during the playoff game against the Panthers.
Did he get suspended after he stabbed Everett McIver in the neck with scissors because he wanted to get his haircut first? I mean Earl Thomas got cut for punching a guy yet we let Irvin keep playing every week.

Legend

Reaction score
Did he get suspended after he stabbed Everett McIver in the neck with scissors because he wanted to get his haircut first? I mean Earl Thomas got cut for punching a guy yet we let Irvin keep playing every week.
That was 1998; a year before Irvin had to retire due to injury.

The team was not good anymore and ~5 years without Jimmy Johnson.

And ~5 years into Jerry’s “soft” culture with no accountability.