Brice Butler on Undisputed

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh man, Butler dropping some bombs.

The best part of this is him saying that the scheme basically finds one thing a player is good at and forces them to do nothing but that, over and over.

The evidence as far as our offense being predictable is overwhelming at this point, and that's on the HC as much as anyone else.

Garrett is quite possibly the most conservative and predictable HC in the league, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Nothing innovative comes out of Dallas and I don't think that leopard is going to change his spots anytime soon.

That actually goes beyond 'scheme.' It's defining roles within the scheme and not letting players deviate from what they've done before. That's a special type of rigidity you don't hear talked about often. I can't imagine how it could help a team out, narrowing down the routes a defender has to cover for a given WR.

That said, we know there are limits to the routes Dez runs effectively. And Butler saying he can run everything isn't the same thing as Butler being able to run everything. We know you can't put Beasley on outside routes consistently. It might well be that the players and coaches disagree here on what the players are actually able to do effectively.

Still, with Dooley leaving, that suggests the divide was between him and Linehan/Garrett, right?

Either way, pretty interesting stuff.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
What's interesting is speculating where the inflexibility in putting players in other routes is coming from. Was it Dooley? Or was it above Dooley, and so that's why Dooley left and the WRs are unhappy. Probably the latter, right?

And Butler is basically saying here that Dez can't run the slot routes adequately and would have to learn them. We did put Dez in the slot some, but could do it more. But then what does that do with Beasley, who you can't play outside? You take him off the field to put Dez in the slot so you can squeeze Butler out wide? Doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Bease is a better slot WR than Dez would be, anyway. Dez needs to catch the balls that hit him. We need to extend him and get his cap number down, or cut him, and we need a wide out who has the speed to force teams to double him consistently so that the other players can benefit from the reduced coverage elsewhere, or we can run against it.

We don't need Butler for any of that, though.
Im not sure if Dez can bounce back from this decay in his game. Replacing him might be the best way to go. Keeping him will force more balls being thrown to him and if he keeps dropping them eventually mid season or so he would have to be benched and that could be a possible cause for distractions if the team is winning.

Cowboys need to be ready to part ways with Dez at soon as the situation needs to be done.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He was targetting 23 times and caught 15 of them. I also assume that some of those targets were not catchable.

The truth is Terrance shouldn't have been brought back. They should have bumped Butler up to #2, not that it would have made a difference because they'd just send him on 100 go routes anyway.

Butler hadn’t done near enough to be bumped to #2. He’s made some plays but doesn’t show up enough and he’s had too many drops. He’s part of the inconsistency we’ve had at wide receiver. If he was doing enough in practice and in games he would get more opportunities because we need a shake up at WR. The entire group was disappointing this season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I

I’m with you Idgit. Brice didn’t throw any one under the bus, but he lets his thoughts be known.

And really, it’s hard to disagree with what he says. Him and Dak have good chemistry, and always have, so why didn’t they give him a chance to prove himself?

Like he says, everyone basically has their ‘role’ and that’s it

Yep. This is juicy stuff. Also, critical of the coaching staff, but this time it's coming from inside the WR room, so it's actually credible. It's definitely interesting.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Butler hadn’t done near enough to be bumped to #2. He’s made some plays but doesn’t show up enough and he’s had too many drops. He’s part of the inconsistency we’ve had at wide receiver. If he was doing enough in practice and in games he would get more opportunities because we need a shake up at WR. The entire group was disappointing this season.

What are his drop stats?

How can he "show up enough" with 23 targets in 16 games on a broken offense?

Sepia

Reaction score
The whole WR group is inconsistent. They've all dropped balls and contributed to interceptions. But Brice is at least a 4.3 guy who gets open, makes explosive plays, and is a leader in the league for yards per catch.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What are his drop stats?

How can he "show up enough" with 23 targets in 16 games on a broken offense?

You’re defending him you so you go look up his drop stats. If he was getting open and dependable he would get more than 23 targets. He’s not consistent!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
That actually goes beyond 'scheme.' It's defining roles within the scheme and not letting players deviate from what they've done before. That's a special type of rigidity you don't hear talked about often. I can't imagine how it could help a team out, narrowing down the routes a defender has to cover for a given WR.

That said, we know there are limits to the routes Dez runs effectively. And Butler saying he can run everything isn't the same thing as Butler being able to run everything. We know you can't put Beasley on outside routes consistently. It might well be that the players and coaches disagree here on what the players are actually able to do effectively.

Still, with Dooley leaving, that suggests the divide was between him and Linehan/Garrett, right?

Either way, pretty interesting stuff.

If the WR coach can overrule the OC & HC, that's saying something.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Butler is our best and only real deep threat

Instead of forcing 50-50 balls to Dez on the outside they should use Butler

I would go Butler and TWill outside with Dez and Witten inside......leave Beasley out until they go 4 WR

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
He keeps saying things have to change for him to come back, what he is really saying is that he needs to be starting and Dez either needs to be in the slot or gone. I don't think i can disagree with him atm.
Maybe he means the coaching staff, not just Dez.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The whole WR group is inconsistent. They've all dropped balls and contributed to interceptions. But Brice is at least a 4.3 guy who gets open, makes explosive plays, and is a leader in the league for yards per catch.

I think our WR group was one of the most sure-handed in the league this year again, wasn't it? We did have some key drops, but I don't believe they happened at a high rate.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
You’re defending him you so you go look up his drop stats. If he was getting open and dependable he would get more than 23 targets. He’s not consistent!
Right... make statements but don't bring any evidence to support your declaration. :rolleyes:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

lol.

You said he dropped a lot of balls but have no idea how many balls he's dropped. Sounds good, man.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
What's interesting is speculating where the inflexibility in putting players in other routes is coming from. Was it Dooley? Or was it above Dooley, and so that's why Dooley left and the WRs are unhappy. Probably the latter, right?

And Butler is basically saying here that Dez can't run the slot routes adequately and would have to learn them. We did put Dez in the slot some, but could do it more. But then what does that do with Beasley, who you can't play outside? You take him off the field to put Dez in the slot so you can squeeze Butler out wide? Doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Bease is a better slot WR than Dez would be, anyway. Dez needs to catch the balls that hit him. We need to extend him and get his cap number down, or cut him, and we need a wide out who has the speed to force teams to double him consistently so that the other players can benefit from the reduced coverage elsewhere, or we can run against it.

We don't need Butler for any of that, though.
You know it was above Dooley but you’re too much of a puppet to say his name.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Oh, and he most def three Dez under the bus. Don’t know what y’all watched. He said he would’ve done better than Dez if he had the opportunity lol. You don’t get more disrespectful than that. He was supposed to say (I don’t know but I’d just like to get the opportunity for more balls). And he said it was a little bit coaches and a little bit of Dez not working hard enough. Brice isn’t coming back to that locker room.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Right... make statements but don't bring any evidence to support your declaration. :rolleyes:

The evidence is he doesn’t get many opportunities. He’s on a show complaining about his lack of playing time...next!