Brice Butler on Undisputed

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not this year

Dez was bad, TWill is still a body catcher, Butler's drops are overstated but real..... even Witten misses too many...................... stupid sun field causes more than 0 which is a travesty

You gotta be careful, it's all relative. We had 15 drops this season. 26th in the league:

Dez 6
Butler 3
Williams 2
Witten 1
Beasley 1
Elliott 1
Brown 1
Hanna 0
Morris 0
K Smith 0

This is the problem with the eye test. The eye test only works if you see every game for every team.

EDIT: Hard to fine aggregated drop stats by team, but here is the list of drops for all players for 2017 that I used, above. Spoiler, Dez was tied for 5th in the entire league overall, with his 6 drops.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does a guy with 15 catches show up on TV talk shows!?! He was on NFL Network for a few days during the season as well.... smh

He's on a FA run, and he's willing to talk about him v. Dez Bryant. And Dez Bryant talk gets people to watch even the stupidest of shows.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the WR coach can overrule the OC & HC, that's saying something.

I wasn't suggesting that. I was suggesting that it might be a case of the players thinking they can run routes well enough to be used in situations, and the coaches all not agreeing. Because it's not a stretch to think a guy like Butler thinks he can do stuff he really can't do all that well.

But then saying that, with Dooley leaving, it's more likely a case where both the players and the position coach thought they could do it, and that Linehan/Garrett didn't want them to do it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Another reason we didn’t get more Brice Butler is because we don’t throw deep very often. Most of his plays have been down the field. Of the 23 targets he had he only converted on 15 of them.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
nothing surprising here. Predictable offensive based on personal groups and formations, been like that for years.

Mad_max

Reaction score
He’s not even asked to be on that show if he doesn’t have the game he had on the season finale. Prior to that game he had zero catches in week 13 and one catch in week 12. He’s inconsistent and might not even be back next season. He’s similar to Twill he’ll make a big play or two then disappear for weeks.

Because they play Dez Bryant.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
He keeps saying things have to change for him to come back, what he is really saying is that he needs to be starting and Dez either needs to be in the slot or gone. I don't think i can disagree with him atm.
Sounds like his arrogance has bypassed his ability.......He needs to understand that the tail don't wag the dog.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Sounds like his arrogance has bypassed his ability.......He needs to understand that the tail don't wag the dog.
Whether or not he's the player needed to replace Dez is a different topic for me. What i am taking from this video is that the whole world knows Dez's job is up for grabs and this guy is trying to get his chance to take it away from Dez.

Dez should be working very hard this off season because some player/s out there wants his job.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
You gotta be careful, it's all relative. We had 15 drops this season. 26th in the league:

Dez 6
Butler 3
Williams 2
Witten 1
Beasley 1
Elliott 1
Brown 1
Hanna 0
Morris 0
K Smith 0

This is the problem with the eye test. The eye test only works if you see every game for every team.

EDIT: Hard to fine aggregated drop stats by team, but here is the list of drops for all players for 2017 that I used, above. Spoiler, Dez was tied for 5th in the entire league overall, with his 6 drops.

Didn't they show a stat during the last game where they had Dez and Julio high on drops? I think they had something like 11 for one of them, but my memory could be failing me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
1st off.. Brice Butler isn't the WR Dez is. Even if he got the Targets he just isn't the kind of guy that could ever sniff Dez Bryants level.

He doesn't attack the ball and he messes up the details on plays quite a bit.

The better guy for him to go after would be T. Will but I don't know if they think Butler can run as many routes as T.Will.

2nd. He made a little comment at the end about the QB not throwing to WR's and he wants to play for a team where they throw to the WR.

3rd. IT sounds like all of the players behind the scenes think the offense isn't dynamic and pigeon holes the players. Much like the Zoners have said for years.

That's basically my take away.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Because they play Dez Bryant.

He’s making the big bucks and he scores TDs. He still gives us the best chance at the big play at WR. Although he’s declined big in recent years he still does more in traffic than Butler who’s not as physical. Butler who claims to run a 4.3 has been able to get deep but he’s not doing enough to move the chains consistently. If he could get open more on some shorter route he likely would have gotten more opportunities. It was discussed about moving Dez to the slot which would be a great idea. Some may have forgotten but he was very good in the slot as a rookie. Dez didn’t start immediately start they worked him in at the slot where he made a lot of plays.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He is inconsistent, but he was not used nearly enough, IMO. Dak made some good throws to him. And he has a skill set Dez and TWill don't. As much as we forced it to Dez despite turnovers and whatnot, we ought to have given Brice a bit more to do.

I thought it was odd that he ended up on the injured list near the end of the season. And then Broaddus mentioned how Brice stared down Garrett when he got back to the sideline after his TD in Philly. I don't know what that was about. Was Garrett holding him back?

I agree but I also agree with Butler when he says he would've made more plays with more opportunities.

erod

Reaction score
Got beat out for playing time by Dez, Williams, Beasley, Brown, and Switzer.

No, dude, it's you.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't they show a stat during the last game where they had Dez and Julio high on drops? I think they had something like 11 for one of them, but my memory could be failing me.

That rings a bell. But then, drop stats seem like a thing where sources may have varying counts or, in the case you mention, it could have been drops over a different span than the regular season (ie, 'since 2016,' or something). I don't know. I was just trying to find some drop-context.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Whether or not he's the player needed to replace Dez is a different topic for me. What i am taking from this video is that the whole world knows Dez's job is up for grabs and this guy is trying to get his chance to take it away from Dez.

Dez should be working very hard this off season because some player/s out there wants his job.
I'm not sure Dez actually sees where he's really at right now, when he said he wouldn't take a pay cut to help the team out.........he WILL get a pay cut whether it's here or somewhere else.........I personally hope it's somewhere else so we don't have to watch him pout over it all season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Butler admitted he wasn’t consisten in 2016. He never caight more than two passes in any game this season. One thing that hurt him this year was missing three games due to injury. If you’re not showing up consistently and you miss games with an injury you’re not going to beat anyone out. You need to be available and you need to make plays with every opportunity.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish the Cowboys could afford to draft 2 WR's in the first 3 rounds. Replace both TWill and Butler. I'd settle for Landry and one highly drafted WR.

Season opener - Dez, Landry, The Bease, Switzer, draft pick.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Butler has every reason to be frustrated. In the past 2 seasons he has averaged 9.8 yards per target to T-Will's 8.4 yards per target and Dez's 7.2 yards per target. He also didn't drop 3 passes that led to interceptions like T-Will did.

I think Dez is asked to do more things and he gets doubled unlike Butler. But a fairer comparison is T-Will and Butler was 15% more efficient than T-Will.

I think it's all about Garrett and his obsession with blocking WR's and he doesn't want to admit that he made a mistake in re-signing T-Will.

YR