Twitter: Broaddus: it's Kellen's show

Dre11

Reaction score
Moore learned from linehan. Linehan ran the same scheme as Garrett which is why some plays look alike. Garrett has input into game planning same as the last 4 games of the season last year. The difference is which plays are being called. We've seen more crossing routes, more pre snap movement, more rpo's but not sure why moore stopped calling them as much.

Actually, according to Fisher, Garrett took over much of the play calling after Coooer got here.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

So Kellen Moore went away from what was working and reverted to the type of offense we saw prior to him becoming OC? More first down runs, Witten up from playing 50% of snaps to 90%, RPO and play action virtually non-existent, very little motion...the same stuff we saw last year.

Suddenly Moore decides to go back to it? I'm calling BS, "insider" or not. It simply doesn't make sense.

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
When I heard Romo's comment it was pretty clear to me Romo was referring to how Garrett used to push the ball down the field to generate big plays. The 2007/ 2009 offenses were like that where as Linehan ran a ball control style offense.

The reason why playcalling has gotten more conservative is the protection is not holding up as well as it did earlier in the season. it really doesn't matter what scheme you run, if you have to leave guys in to help protect and run short routes to avoid pressure it's advantage defense. The need to run to protect Dak some so he makes it through the season in one piece.

Linehan had a ton of success in 2014 and 2016 because the line played extremely well. Last year he had much less success because the line was second worst in the league in sacks allowed. Kellen's offense looked great the first three weeks when the line was protecting well, but suddenly looks pedestrian when you have Cam Flemming and Brandon Knight playing tackle. Not a coincidence.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Actually, according to Fisher, Garrett took over much of the play calling after Coooer got here.

He took over the last 4games and it was garret, moore, neussmeyer or however you spell it that did the game plan. Thats when we started getting jarwin down the seam more, more down the field stuff that garret likes. The passing game is just a bit off and zeke isnt breaking tackles. If dak can connect a little more then this offense would be rolling.

Dre11

Reaction score
When I heard Romo's comment it was pretty clear to me Romo was referring to how Garrett used to push the ball down the field to generate big plays. The 2007/ 2009 offenses were like that where as Linehan ran a ball control style offense.

The reason why playcalling has gotten more conservative is the protection is not holding up as well as it did earlier in the season. it really doesn't matter what scheme you run, if you have to leave guys in to help protect and run short routes to avoid pressure it's advantage defense. The need to run to protect Dak some so he makes it through the season in one piece.

Linehan had a ton of success in 2014 and 2016 because the line played extremely well. Last year he had much less success because the line was second worst in the league in sacks allowed. Kellen's offense looked great the first three weeks when the line was protecting well, but suddenly looks pedestrian when you have Cam Flemming and Brandon Knight playing tackle. Not a coincidence.

I tried to tell these people that. They also was protecting the defense like they did with Zeke in 2016.

Dre11

Reaction score
He took over the last 4games and it was garret, moore, neussmeyer or however you spell it that did the game plan. Thats when we started getting jarwin down the seam more, more down the field stuff that garret likes. The passing game is just a bit off and zeke isnt breaking tackles. If dak can connect a little more then this offense would be rolling.

Today on the fan it was more than 4 games. But you're right about the down the field aspect.

Dre11

Reaction score
So Kellen Moore went away from what was working and reverted to the type of offense we saw prior to him becoming OC? More first down runs, Witten up from playing 50% of snaps to 90%, RPO and play action virtually non-existent, very little motion...the same stuff we saw last year.

Suddenly Moore decides to go back to it? I'm calling BS, "insider" or not. It simply doesn't make sense.

Broaddus also isn't the same one saying

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Today on the fan it was more than 4 games. But you're right about the down the field aspect.

Thought he said last month, i took it as 4 games of regular season then add the 2 playoff games and its about 6 games total. Could be more or less, hard to tell but we know by the giants game this was the case.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I wonder how dak feels about the offense? Is moore mooring plays dak likes to help him stay comfortable?

Either way, we have guys getting open. Dak just has to hit them a little better so they can catch the ball. Only zeke and witten are catching above 80% right now and way too many are bouncing off hands. Gallop had atleast 2 passes way to high but he jumped and got hands on them but couldnt hold on and jarwin had another pass thrown behind him but the defender was there to break it up. If we can clean that up just a little itll make a huge difference.

smitty313

Reaction score
Your right. Garrett hated scoring 30 points a game.

He’s forcing Moore to call a bunch of dumb plays that don’t work.

Now that CowboysZone has figured it out we need to find a way to tell Jerry. He told Garrett to stay away from the offense so he’s going to be really mad.
You're absolutely right....How dare a nobody like
<checks notes>
Tony Romo
call out this ineptitude
giphy.gif

Little Jr

Reaction score
I tried to tell these people that. They also was protecting the defense like they did with Zeke in 2016.
How? By not scoring? The injury excuse is weak and protecting the defense is even a weaker one.

I dont have the numbers from the past 2 weeks and the 1st 4 is off the top of my head. but we went from passing on 1st down from 67% to 63% to 53% to 50% the first 4 games. Less RPO and play action which helps the OL not hurt them. Less presnap motion which has nothing to with injuries. If all this was done to protect the defense and injuries,then explain the changes the 1st 4 weeks that we continued to run more on 1st down, less RPO and play action weekly,but the D was only giving up 14ppg, and no injuries on the OL.

How do we go from looking like a completely different offense the 1st 2 weeks to looking like the offense from the past 5+ years. DId Moore just think it was working to well? And dont give me competition. If we were losing these games running the offense with the same % of runs on 1st downs, presnap motion, same amount of RPO and playaction as we did the 1st 2, then I can see it just being better competition. This offense has changed a lot over the past 4 weeks starting with the phins game.

We can put blame where we want, but to say it hasnt changed is being blind or just not knowing what you are seeing. And to use the defense or injuries as an excuse is weak since this started well before the injuries and the defense letting teams steam roll them. Plus, if teams are steam rolling your defense and you know your going to have to score, playing conservative isnt the way to go.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Broaddus is a Garrett lackey.

If he’s trying to imply Garrett has no input he’s lying.

If Garrett had no input then why even keep him as HC? He’s be neutered at that point.

Worse, if the offense we saw the last few weeks is all Moore, that’s alarming. The play calls against the Jets were decidedly conservative at times.

Came here to post this and glad it was posted at the very top of the replies. Does anyone actually take Broaddus or Mickey seriously? They are Dallas yes men. They kiss up to Jerry and Jason. Add Mike Fisher as well. Today he actually argued that Jerry was right about Jason being very coveted as a head coach if he was on the open market.

Of course Broaddus would say this. No way would he ever say anything critical about Jason. He's a clown.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Well said.

Broaddus is not a fan of Garrett. He can barely hide his tolerance at times.

It's simplistic to think Jason (who should have long been fired) is calling the shots when it's just not the case.

Moore is a bit in love with dive plays for some reason on 1st down.

Little Jr

Reaction score
How? By not scoring? The injury excuse is weak and protecting the defense is even a weaker one.

I dont have the numbers from the past 2 weeks and the 1st 4 is off the top of my head. but we went from passing on 1st down from 67% to 63% to 53% to 50% the first 4 games. Less RPO and play action which helps the OL not hurt them. Less presnap motion which has nothing to with injuries. If all this was done to protect the defense and injuries,then explain the changes the 1st 4 weeks that we continued to run more on 1st down, less RPO and play action weekly,but the D was only giving up 14ppg, and no injuries on the OL.

How do we go from looking like a completely different offense the 1st 2 weeks to looking like the offense from the past 5+ years. DId Moore just think it was working to well? And dont give me competition. If we were losing these games running the offense with the same % of runs on 1st downs, presnap motion, same amount of RPO and playaction as we did the 1st 2, then I can see it just being better competition. This offense has changed a lot over the past 4 weeks starting with the phins game.

We can put blame where we want, but to say it hasnt changed is being blind or just not knowing what you are seeing. And to use the defense or injuries as an excuse is weak since this started well before the injuries and the defense letting teams steam roll them. Plus, if teams are steam rolling your defense and you know your going to have to score, playing conservative isnt the way to go.

The 1st down % are wrong for passing on 1st down. Thinking about another stat. My bad. Point still stands lol

khiladi

Reaction score

What? Linehan had a top 5 passing attack with the Lions, including number 1 in attempts and 2 in yards in 2011.

Jerry brought in Linehan because he was tired of the OC, aka Garrett, giving lip service to the run game, while also not getting the most out of Dez. It wasn’t that Linehan was conservative, it was becayse Jason didn’t run the ball. As far as the point about Dez, Jerry specifically brought up Calvin Johnson in this matter.

Linehan finally got to play Moore in 2015 (Garrett went and got Cassell), he had Moore throwing the ball a lot