Broaddus: McCarthy doesn't "breathe" football 24/7, not a difference maker

rags747

Reaction score
Exactly why I wanted Urban Meyer hired here, McCarthy never was an exciting hire in my book. There were stories out of GB how McCarthy was always at the massage therapist getting massages, that does not strike me as someone who has the eye of the Tiger. Also, his weight is outta control, no reason to be that large at his age.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Im not a big MM fan. Not really at all
But this breathing football 24/7, 365 is ajoke.

Jimmy could not wait to go fishing and chill out for the entire offseason.
He completely shut it down, but was VERY intense during the season.
Belichick enjoys his downtime too.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about the not being a "24/7" football guy...

I remember seeing that football study office he put together at his home after he was let go from Packers– All with the expressed purpose of studying the game while he waited for his next opportunity.

In addition, a deep knowledge of the sport only gets you so far. So much of coaching and head coaching in particular is leadership, salesmanship and psychology– stuff that is learned off the football field. A lot of those folks at the coordinator level may need to be 24/7 football guys but a head coach needs to devote time to those skills that go up & beyond football.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Anything he can do to tear down your belief or optimism in the Cowboys..

@Risen Star is your man.

Definitely not someone you want in your corner during a fight.. because all he would do is tell you how incompetent, weak, or little chance you had in winning.

to each his own.

Personally I’d rather fail trying than to quit bc your feel your never had a chance

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

@Risen Star is your man.

Definitely not someone you want in your corner during a fight.. because all he would do is tell you how incompetent, weak, or little chance you had in winning.

to each his own.

Personally I’d rather fail trying than to quit bc your feel your never had a chance

You've been sucked in.

What you perceive isn't the reality of the situation at all.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Hes got at least 4 more years in dallas. Let's see what happens.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Broaddus really rips our head coach here in the midst of answering a few other questions. Give it a listen. The McCarthy stuff starts at 2:20 and then comes back to it at 3:40.

I agree with Broaddus completely. I have yet to see anything he does translate into a decision that is a difference in winning a game. A HC has to have a signature trait that makes them winners. It must be decisions in close games..playcalls in key situations..outsmarting the coaches across from him on the sidelines. McCarthy had Farve and Rodgers. Doubt Dak ever reaches those guys in rep. Just saying.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
This whole “McCarthy isn’t a football guy” take is asinine.

For a long stretch, McCarthy was considered the best QB coach in the game, then the best OC, then was made HC and won a Super Bowl with GB. McCarthy was a highly sought after coach in the 2000s. To act like he was never a good coach and was carried by Rodgers is completely wrong.

Has the game seemingly passed him? Probably. But that happens to even the best of coaches, besides the GOATs like Belichick.

I for one hope McCarthy takes current league trends to heart and modernizes his offense a bit more. If he does that, he’d be a good coach again.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Broaddus really rips our head coach here in the midst of answering a few other questions. Give it a listen. The McCarthy stuff starts at 2:20 and then comes back to it at 3:40.

DBAG Nation. That pretty much says it all. Broaddus has been wrong about so many things. He was fired as a scout for a reason.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

@Risen Star is your man.

to each his own.

:hammer: