Broaddus: McCarthy doesn't "breathe" football 24/7, not a difference maker

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think, for me at least, the impression is that McCarthy is past his peak as a head coach. His last couple years in Green Bay that team underachieved, and look what they did when they brought in a young, up and coming coach.

McCarthy did a job when they won their SB. Green Bay had 16 guys on IR that season. Yeah, they had Rodgers, but they also had a lot of backups playing. Have to give the coach some credit there, but that was over a decade (and 50 pounds) ago. Is McCarthy still that coach, or just a 50-something guy happy to get another gig?

It's hard for me to hold what happened in Green Bay completely against him. His team was coming off a 10-6 season in which they made it to the NFC Championship Game, then tumbled to 7-9 after eight straight winning years and playoff appearances.

In 2017, he lost his Pro Bowl quarterback to a broken collarbone and had Brett Hundley as his starter. That was a key factor in going 7-9. In 2018, Rodgers suffered an MCL strain in September and a concussion in December. He also balked at McCarthy's efforts to alter the offense because of his knee injury.

So, how much of Green Bay's turnaround simply had to do with Rodgers getting much healthier? Some of it certainly had to do with the Packers going out and getting some top-notch defensive talent. Green Bay had a pretty decent talent overall after also firing the GM.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I wonder what jerry will think of this video lol.
I agree, MM is not a difference maker.
He did smash some watermelons though !!:rolleyes:

Mannix

Reaction score
-----The man literally lied to Jerry's face in his job interview and Jerry thought it was funny.

Chuckles is the one that really got a charge out of it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Called this long before we ever signed him. Jerry got played.

We don’t have Favre or Rodgers here and that is the reason for his GB success.

McCarthy brings nothing to the table.
Called what? He’s only coached 1 year bozo. I know you quit easily as all haters do, but jeez give the man a chance. Last year was a pandemic to deal with for a 1st year head coach with major injuries to so many key players and here you are waving your panties he sucks, he sucks!

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I wonder what jerry will think of this video lol.
I agree, MM is not a difference maker.
He did smash some watermelons though !!:rolleyes:
I want to see him smash some bowling balls with his face If that dont fire the team up I dont know what will

COWBOYSNUM1

Reaction score
Wasn't it Jerry that wouldn't hire that old, respected coach because he wanted him to punch in and out with a time card to prove he was working?
He publicly wanted Romo to live football like Peyton?

I think Jerry wants his peeps on his payroll to at least act like they're living football.
Nobody was ever asked to punch a time card. This was twisted and blown way out of proportion. Jerry wanted to put in a clause guaranteeing a certain amount of hours because he wanted it understood that this was a full time position. Reeves didn’t want to agree on working as many hours as the coaches because he wanted to have a certain title and be in a executive position a work less hours than the coaches. Reeves through the “ coaches don’t punch a contract” line out there because he said that Jerry wanted it to be a day to day position and he wouldn’t commit to that. It was really stupid for the media and fans to blame Jerry for wanting a guarantee that this was going to be a full time commitment. If Reeves didn’t want to put in the hours of a full time job then he shouldn’t have been hired.

cristglo

Reaction score
I can't say I was overwhelmed with MM. It is really hard to judge him on this one season. Now if Covid didnt come along and he put out a season like last year's No Way he stays for year 2.
Im waiting to see how this year goes but I feel a lot better with Quin as DC than Nolan!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Called what? He’s only coached 1 year bozo. I know you quit easily as all haters do, but jeez give the man a chance. Last year was a pandemic to deal with for a 1st year head coach and here you are waving your panties he sucks, he sucks!
I also need to see at least 14 years out of a coach before I can properly evaluate them.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Broaddus was a terrible scout that turned into a terrible analyst. The guy is a buffoon. Is he ever right about anything?

CWR

Reaction score
Well then...
I'm sorry to tickle the hairs on the back of your neck.

It was clear when he said it that he expected Romo to be 100% committed and working. Not an indictment on Romo, but more less Jerry saying now go earn that money. I think you had it in proper context.

MikeB80

Reaction score
This whole “McCarthy isn’t a football guy” take is asinine.

For a long stretch, McCarthy was considered the best QB coach in the game, then the best OC, then was made HC and won a Super Bowl with GB. McCarthy was a highly sought after coach in the 2000s. To act like he was never a good coach and was carried by Rodgers is completely wrong.

Has the game seemingly passed him? Probably. But that happens to even the best of coaches, besides the GOATs like Belichick.

I for one hope McCarthy takes current league trends to heart and modernizes his offense a bit more. If he does that, he’d be a good coach again.

when was this? I don't recall him ever being considered the top qb coach at any point? Where are you getting this from?

MikeB80

Reaction score
Called this long before we ever signed him. Jerry got played.

We don’t have Favre or Rodgers here and that is the reason for his GB success.

McCarthy brings nothing to the table.

i would say dom capers had something to do with it also.

not to mention having Ted Thompson, Reggie McKenzie and John Dorsey picking your players.

RS12

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers wasn't impressed but for the hundredth time, who that is any good, or not desperate for a check, is going to work for Jerry?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
when was this? I don't recall him ever being considered the top qb coach at any point? Where are you getting this from?

Mike worked under Marty Schottenheimer and with Joe Montana in the 90’s.

Through 1995-1998 with the Chiefs, McCarthy was QB Coach, where guys like Rich Gannon and Steve Bono put up decent stats under him and made the playoffs.

After the 1999 season, McCarthy was offered the position of offensive coordinator with the Saints.

Under McCarthy, the 2000 Saints team won the first Saints playoff game in the history of the franchise. In fact, in 2002 with Aaron Brooks at QB, the Saints led the NFL in scoring. All of McCarthy’s four years with the Saints rank in the top 10 of the team’s years for offense.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Just me, but the man is just in his 2nd year. The first was compromised by COVID19 and some are ready to run him out of town. What 9 years with Garrett.......can we at least give MM 2 or 3? Geez..........
No. He made some of the most asinine calls I’ve witnessed watching football and that’s over 46 years.
He’s a loser coach and a loser hire.