Broaddus: McCarthy doesn't "breathe" football 24/7, not a difference maker

plasticman

Reaction score
There was a period of time in New York Giant history when their offensive coordinator was Vince Lombardi and their defensive coordinator was Tom Landry. The head coach was Jim Lee Howell. From 1956 to 1059 the Giants had played in three of the four NFL championship games.

It was said that, inside the Giant facilities, You would walk by the offense's training room and you could hear Lombardi discussing his strategy with the players in a rather "animated" tone. As you walked by the defense's training room, you could look in and see the players in a semi-circle surrounding Landry explaining his strategy using a chalkboard.

Then, as you passed by Howell's office, you would see him in his chair, legs propped up on his desk, reading the newspaper.

I don't care how much effort McCarthy puts into being the Cowboys head coach, so long as it is fruitful, so long as there are enough championships to justify. Any Cowboy head coach could work 20 tireless hours a day, every Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthday, wedding anniversary, children's graduation....I don't care. Unless the Cowboys win championships in a "timely" manner....goodbye, coach.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Bryan Broaddus is the ex-scout for the Cowboys who was a part of the idiots who helped convince Jerry to draft SS Roy Williams instead FS Ed Reed back in 2002. Darren Woodson was still playing for the Cowboys at the time, and he was a physical SS.

At the time, the Cowboys needed to draft a true FS (which Ed Reed was...and turned to become a HOF player for the Ravens), but instead, the Cowboys listened to their scouts (led by Broaddus) and made the grave mistake of drafting another SS in Roy Williams who was an excellent tackler but struggled badly in pass coverage (which ultimately hurt the Cowboys years later and eventually led to Roy's early exit from the NFL).

Broaddus is a JOKE who truly doesn't get it, plus he makes many bad decisions and clearly gives lots of terrible "advice", which is why he's been fired by the Cowboys TWICE and thankfully is no longer with them. Didn't he get fired this last time for getting into Tyron Smith’s personal life by questioning Tyron why Tyron was abusive with his ex-girlfriend? What a moron. Glad he's gone.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
And yet Broadband thief continues.

Speaking of breathe.....you rob us humans who deserve to breathe.

Apologies.....I do not like this dude. Not personally, he stinks as a sports "Writer".

JMO, Of course.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
This whole “McCarthy isn’t a football guy” take is asinine.

For a long stretch, McCarthy was considered the best QB coach in the game, then the best OC, then was made HC and won a Super Bowl with GB. McCarthy was a highly sought after coach in the 2000s. To act like he was never a good coach and was carried by Rodgers is completely wrong.

Has the game seemingly passed him? Probably. But that happens to even the best of coaches, besides the GOATs like Belichick.

I for one hope McCarthy takes current league trends to heart and modernizes his offense a bit more. If he does that, he’d be a good coach again.
I just don’t know how to fairly evaluate McCarthy after the disaster that was 2020.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Didn’t listen to the video but agree with the title. He’s admitted to not being devoted in the past and bottom line his last yr in GB they had a losing record with ARod and the past 2 seasons since he left they’ve been in the nfc championship.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Wonder if this would be an issue/question if Dak played 16 games last year? I seriously doubt it........

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
It's hard for me to hold what happened in Green Bay completely against him. His team was coming off a 10-6 season in which they made it to the NFC Championship Game, then tumbled to 7-9 after eight straight winning years and playoff appearances.

In 2017, he lost his Pro Bowl quarterback to a broken collarbone and had Brett Hundley as his starter. That was a key factor in going 7-9. In 2018, Rodgers suffered an MCL strain in September and a concussion in December. He also balked at McCarthy's efforts to alter the offense because of his knee injury.

So, how much of Green Bay's turnaround simply had to do with Rodgers getting much healthier? Some of it certainly had to do with the Packers going out and getting some top-notch defensive talent. Green Bay had a pretty decent talent overall after also firing the GM.

Good post here. Everyone forgot that Rodgers got injured that year. Green Bay also gotten rid of their GM who never lifted a finger in getting defensive help. Then everyone is saying that is what a young coach can do. But so can McCarthy and it doesn't take someone who thinks about football 24/7.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Broaddus suggests that McCarthy is and has been, a lazy coach during his career. He was informed by a former Green Bay insider that this had been the case with McCarthy during his stay there. Getting massages during work hours and such casts a bad image, according to Broaddus and this former GB insider. Whether that becomes clear during his stay with the Cowboys is yet to be determined. He'd better watch his back. Stay tuned. o_O

Last edited:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Take Broaddus out of the equation. MM has a long track record as a HC in the NFL.

He has plenty of critics from his GB days. His reputation was shredded, and his hire in Dallas was in part predicated on MM “doubling down” and getting reborn as a HC for today’s game.

Now ask yourself if any of that took place last year? All I hear is excuses for the guy. He looked lost on the sidelines, he saddled the team with a bad DC, he was slow on the trigger to make adjustments, and he made some crappy game-calling decisions.

For me— this season is it for him. If it’s more of the same— then JJ needs to pull the plug.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Can someone take a poll who actually lives and breaths their profession 24/7?

Everyone needs time to disconnect. Now if McCarthy doesn't take his job seriously and put in the effort then that's a different story. However, I highly doubt he would get to where he is today if he didn't breath a lot of football. Now whether if he's still an effective coach is up for debate. Last year was a tough season to judge. Regardless he'll be on the hot seat this season.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We know MM is useless. Jerry doesn't want to admit his mistake yet but he knows.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Mike worked under Marty Schottenheimer and with Joe Montana in the 90’s.

Through 1995-1998 with the Chiefs, McCarthy was QB Coach, where guys like Rich Gannon and Steve Bono put up decent stats under him and made the playoffs.

After the 1999 season, McCarthy was offered the position of offensive coordinator with the Saints.

Under McCarthy, the 2000 Saints team won the first Saints playoff game in the history of the franchise. In fact, in 2002 with Aaron Brooks at QB, the Saints led the NFL in scoring. All of McCarthy’s four years with the Saints rank in the top 10 of the team’s years for offense.

Yes I know his background....and can people please stop crediting him with working with montana as a get for montana when it was really a learning situation for mccarthy from montana.

and schottenheimer was the head coach but mike worked with paul hackett who had already coached montana in sf.

and in new orleans jeff blake and aaron brooks had decent seasons.

I still fail to see when he was the top qb coach and have no recollection of that at anytime in that era.

pgreptom

Reaction score
Broaddus really rips our head coach here in the midst of answering a few other questions. Give it a listen. The McCarthy stuff starts at 2:20 and then comes back to it at 3:40.

lol Helman seems like he has the worst case of shortman syndrome

phildadon86

Reaction score
I think McCarthy is just a stop gap for Lincoln Riley. I could be just wishing that though.

John813

Reaction score
Well, we are entering year 2, healthy roster up to now, camps aren't being canceled and Quinn will have a full offseason to get the defense ready with 4 PS games as well.

So, for me, I'm waiting to see how this year goes before forming an opinion on MM.

Don't care if he doesn't spend every day as a coaches, especially in the offseason.

What matters is he keeps the respect from the men in the locker room and has an ounce of knowledge on time management