Broaddus: McCarthy doesn't "breathe" football 24/7, not a difference maker

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny...I was ripping this hire....and caught hell for it.....less than 2 years later......people are running him out of Dallas. :laugh:

Told you people....he sucked. We were so eager to get rid of Garrett.....Regardless.....the new HC is already here....in Kellen....so I'm not panicking.

You're always at least a couple of years ahead of us.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
McCarthy was the epitome of a meh signing. It was a laughable coaching search.

As much as I hate to say it in hindsight, I was more excited about the Garrett hire in 2011 than I was the McCarthy hire. In 2021, I think McCarthy has three quality assistants to cover up some of his sins, but even so - his decisions made in-game are goofy as hell.

The only thing that gives me hope with this group was that Aikman and Jimmy endorsed the hire.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted Rivera but he was gone and so I wanted McC because I felt a NFL HC stood a better chance and Booger and Porky would interfere with college guys, thinking they needed their special "Garrett training".

I was surprised at the decision making last season but I got what I wanted so I don't have a complaint.

The fact is the very type HC that we all want will not happen because it can never be his team. Booger's bruised ego still hasn't healed since the Johnson years and the spotlight must remain his except for the little that spills over for family.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There was a period of time in New York Giant history when their offensive coordinator was Vince Lombardi and their defensive coordinator was Tom Landry. The head coach was Jim Lee Howell. From 1956 to 1059 the Giants had played in three of the four NFL championship games.

It was said that, inside the Giant facilities, You would walk by the offense's training room and you could hear Lombardi discussing his strategy with the players in a rather "animated" tone. As you walked by the defense's training room, you could look in and see the players in a semi-circle surrounding Landry explaining his strategy using a chalkboard.

Then, as you passed by Howell's office, you would see him in his chair, legs propped up on his desk, reading the newspaper.

I don't care how much effort McCarthy puts into being the Cowboys head coach, so long as it is fruitful, so long as there are enough championships to justify. Any Cowboy head coach could work 20 tireless hours a day, every Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthday, wedding anniversary, children's graduation....I don't care. Unless the Cowboys win championships in a "timely" manner....goodbye, coach.

The championship mind-set makes it easy for me as far as expectations go for McCarthy.

This year, it's get the team back in the playoffs, show that you belong there instead of possibly just being the best of the NFC Least. That buys another year.

If he fails to do that, he's gone unless there are some serious mitigating circumstances like we had last year.

The next year, it's winning in the playoffs and making a serious push. That buys another year.

The next year, it's NFC Championship Game or bust.

The next year, it's Super Bowl or bust.

That's a five-year plan. If any of those goals are missed, there have to be some really big reasons for it.

We let Garrett hang around way too long not achieving those things. Since most coaches, especially in this era, make a Super Bowl within their first five years with a team, that needs to be our benchmark.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The championship mind-set makes it easy for me as far as expectations go for McCarthy.

This year, it's get the team back in the playoffs, show that you belong there instead of possibly just being the best of the NFC Least. That buys another year.

If he fails to do that, he's gone unless there are some serious mitigating circumstances like we had last year.

The next year, it's winning in the playoffs and making a serious push. That buys another year.

The next year, it's NFC Championship Game or bust.

The next year, it's Super Bowl or bust.

That's a five-year plan. If any of those goals are missed, there have to be some really big reasons for it.

We let Garrett hang around way too long not achieving those things. Since most coaches, especially in this era, make a Super Bowl within their first five years with a team, that needs to be our benchmark.

I'd have more confidence in a five-year HC plan if the GM and Director of Player Personnel weren't in year 25 of whatever is their plan.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'd have more confidence in a five-year HC plan if the GM and Director of Player Personnel weren't in year 25 of whatever is their plan.

Well, that's not going to change. We just need to have firmer expectations than we had with Garrett. Jerry badly wanted his homegrown, handpicked head coach to succeed and gave him far too much leeway, especially in light of the reality of today's NFL. Teams that have won Super Bowls have shown that you don't need 10 years to build to it ... primarily because you can't build teams like that anymore.

I do think you've got to give coaches a little bit of time and expecting a Super Bowl in the second year or even third year is an unrealistic standard. Possible, but not probable. Yearly progress is the key for me, but that can't mean going from 6-10 last year to 8-8 this year. That's not good enough. The steps in the right direction have to be apparent.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

yeah the GM doesn't seem to have any pressure to win to keep his job, funny how most businesses don't do well with that formula.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Well, that's not going to change. We just need to have firmer expectations than we had with Garrett. Jerry badly wanted his homegrown, handpicked head coach to succeed and gave him far too much leeway, especially in light of the reality of today's NFL. Teams that have won Super Bowls have shown that you don't need 10 years to build to it ... primarily because you can't build teams like that anymore.

I do think you've got to give coaches a little bit of time and expecting a Super Bowl in the second year or even third year is an unrealistic standard. Possible, but not probable. Yearly progress is the key for me, but that can't mean going from 6-10 last year to 8-8 this year. That's not good enough. The steps in the right direction have to be apparent.

I wasn't a fan of the hire in the first place so whether Jerry shows patience with MM or not doesn't matter to me. It's going to be an uphill battle for any coach to reach a SB under the Cowboys existing organizational structure. Answering to two guys who have 25 years of nothing - yet still think they should be running the show - is an albatross too large for anyone they'd actually hire. The coaches who could overcome it don't need the Cowboys' job, and wouldn't get it anyway.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just me, but the man is just in his 2nd year. The first was compromised by COVID19 and some are ready to run him out of town. What 9 years with Garrett.......can we at least give MM 2 or 3? Geez..........

kind of how I feel too. I personally thought Meyer was the hire we missed, but I’ll give MM one full year with a top QB to see what he can do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It hasnt mattered too much this era . Shockingly our best results came from our least experienced and proven HC’s.

Talent is the driving force. We haven’t had sustained talent on both sides of the ball for several consecutive seasons this era.

No Cowboys HC in 21st Century has made playoffs in consecutive seasons.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Talent is the driving force. We haven’t had sustained talent on both sides of the ball for several consecutive seasons this era.

But...but...I've read here on many occasions that the Cowboys have super duper talent, courtesy of the GM and Director of Player Personnel.

Apparently, their awesome talent-evaluation skills don't carry over to selecting coaches. Yep, that's the only thing holding them back. :muttley:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But...but...I've read here on many occasions that the Cowboys have super duper talent, courtesy of the GM and Director of Player Personnel.

Apparently, their awesome talent-evaluation skills don't carry over to selecting coaches. :muttley:
We have had some talent in key positions. But again not consistently over consecutive seasons. And not on both sides of the ball.

It’s been 1998 and 1999 since we made consecutive playoff appearances with same coach ( Gailey ).

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
We have had some talent in key positions. But again not consistently over consecutive seasons. And not on both sides of the ball.

It’s been since 1998 and 1999 since we made consecutive playoff appearances.

I agree with you. Just having a bit of fun at the expense of people who routinely overvalue the Cowboys talent level, even more than the Joneses.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
"not a difference maker" is true for every head coach in the NFL who isn't the offensive play caller