Broaddus: McCarthy doesn't "breathe" football 24/7, not a difference maker

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"not a difference maker" is true for every head coach in the NFL who isn't the offensive play caller
Is that how you feel about Belichick? There are other defensive minded HC’s who have made impacts. Rivera in Washington another.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with you. Just having a bit of fun at the expense of people who routinely overvalue the Cowboys talent level, even more than the Joneses.
It’s the Jone$ job to promote their product. Too many buy into it.

T-RO

Reaction score
Been saying for years that fans over-rate the importance of the head coach in Dallas. With Cowboys HC doesn't design the offense or the defense. They don't call offensive or def plays. Only thing they do is make 4th down decisions (punt/go-for it)...and over-see their staff. I very much doubt McCarthy has much say in personnel.

Motivational speeches? LOL.

Sure looks like front office leaked their unhappiness to press, so gotta suspect there's inter-personal conflict or a complete loss of confidence in McCarthy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
th

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Broaddus really rips our head coach here in the midst of answering a few other questions. Give it a listen. The McCarthy stuff starts at 2:20 and then comes back to it at 3:40.

The guy on the far right hit a point that I always saw with Garrett. He wasn't a guy looking for every edge. Wasn't a guy who thought it was his *responsibility* to find every edge he could. When games were on the line, and we had spent all our resources on offense, he was still playing conservatively and putting the game back in the defense's hands. "Don't blame me, I'm running the offense." He went with the same defensive strategy Kiffinelli, the "keep it simple and out execute them". That puts everything on the players, and nothing on the coaches. "Don't blame us, it's not our job to win, it's our job to run a process."

Praxit

Reaction score
...sounds like Broady needs a new hobby. How bout model airplanes. They are thoughtful, build patience and keep you pragmatic about things.

jnday

Reaction score
Broaddus really rips our head coach here in the midst of answering a few other questions. Give it a listen. The McCarthy stuff starts at 2:20 and then comes back to it at 3:40.

After seeing MM coach this year, I now believe the Rodgers’s comments about MM having the lowest football IQ in the league. I also believe that he skipped practices and meetings to get massages. MM just seems like that type.

jnday

Reaction score
I wanted Urban to get a chance, but Jerry couldn’t allow that to happen. I wasn’t crazy about the MM hiring, but I kept an open mind until he started making decisions that rivaled the very worst of Garrett’s decisions. He busted a watermelon in an attempt to draw the attention away from his in-game decision-making, but it was too late for me. If he would have busted the melon a month earlier in the season, I might could have forgave him for the Garrett impersonations.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Is that how you feel about Belichick? There are other defensive minded HC’s who have made impacts. Rivera in Washington another.
BB is the exception, but I don't think he gives his OC autonomy anyway

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Broaddus got fired from the Cowboys due to sexual harassment claims by female employees.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kind of how I feel too. I personally thought Meyer was the hire we missed, but I’ll give MM one full year with a top QB to see what he can do.
Have you seen Meyer since taking over in JAX? Do you think Booger would allow that type of profile from his HC? That would have never worked in Dallas and I think Meyer knew that when he even brought the job up.

I do not think Riley will consider the Cowboys either when he's ready, if that ever happens. Riley needs t think about how hard it is to acquire talent in the NFL and how easy it is at OU.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BB is the exception, but I don't think he gives his OC autonomy anyway
Belichick is from the same tree as Parcells and Saban, no coach gets autonomy and Belichick had to earn that from Parcells and showed his independence when he spurned the NYJ for NE after Parcells set that up.

The really good HC's begin by coaching their coaches.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Belichick is from the same tree as Parcells and Saban, no coach gets autonomy and Belichick had to earn that from Parcells and showed his independence when he spurned the NYJ for NE after Parcells set that up.

Neither would be a good coach in the modern NFL

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yep . And why there’s usually a Tree we can trace to the greater coaches. It’s why coaches under successful mentors are often pursued even without having any HC experience.