Broaddus: McCarthy doesn't "breathe" football 24/7, not a difference maker

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I believe he is. I think with the same injuries last year we would’ve went 4-12 with Garrett. I believe McCarthy is 2 games a season better than Garrett.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Just me, but the man is just in his 2nd year. The first was compromised by COVID19 and some are ready to run him out of town. What 9 years with Garrett.......can we at least give MM 2 or 3? Geez..........
I wouldn't ever take into account Broadus says.Guy used to bore to me to tears on talkin Cowboys.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Pretty funny. He has been referring to McCarthy as a "Gym Coach" since the season ended. I heard him last week tell a caller that someone in GB told him exactly what he would do here and how he would react in certain situations and brian said it is exactly what happened.

funny stuff. Broaddus was begging for garrett to get fired in 2012, he wanted wade fired in 07....now mccarthy.

meanwhile he has been fired by the cowboys twice! He doesn't even work there anymore and if he keeps it up he will get fired a third time!!
I think he's just bitter and I was glad they moved him out of takin Cowboys. The guy bored me to tears and talked too much.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't care. The measurement is wins and losses. McCarthy can live in his office and cough up Xs and Os but if he doesn't win anything then he should be fired. Conversely, uf he wins and works 8 hours days, he'd be fine by me.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I think he's just bitter and I was glad they moved him out of takin Cowboys. The guy bored me to tears and talked too much.

I am sure he is. Parcells fired him in 06 and he still hates him and talks crap about him on a daily basis. The guy has been canned twice by the team and he still gets access to practice and tape. Its kind of crazy.

quickccc

Reaction score
Just me, but the man is just in his 2nd year. The first was compromised by COVID19 and some are ready to run him out of town. What 9 years with Garrett.......can we at least give MM 2 or 3? Geez..........

Unfortunately it is because of the lengthy disappointing frustration of Garrett era that it feels like McCarthy is on a very short leash.
That was the importance of hiring an estabilshed vet HC with a SB winning resume vs experimenting with a glorified college HC

-Whether DC or HC, it's super clear the Cowboys organization want very instant positive-encouraging responses right away. ..they are playing Win Now vs experimenting long term investment.

-That's why they felt they had to act to quickly hire Quinn to help McCarthy- i have no believe that McCarthy fired his buddy Nolan himself.

-Also what have we've seen now here with McCarthy that reinterates that he has total command of offense, defense ?
What area of the team can we really see/say that McCarthy has put his palm prints on the team ?
Offense ?.. Playing Calling ?... Defense ?

-We know very well the history book natural disaster he placed bringing in Nolan, .but i don't even see the split back formation misdirection run game
I was so very hoping McCarthy would at least add to Kellen Moore's offense. - And yes,, this is indeed Kellen's offenses - not McCarthy.

-and there are already some questionable signs that even his in-game management decisions is on the blocks.
.. Ala the Bone Fassel fake punt failures vs Washington..

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I can't say I'm surprised this turned into a bash Bryan Broaddus discussion.

Don't like the message? Kill the messenger.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I can't say I'm surprised this turned into a bash Bryan Broaddus discussion.

Don't like the message? Kill the messenger.

I’m not bashing Broaddus, but I think his bashing of McCarthy after one COVID season full of huge injuries is out of bounds too. Especially given how often he tip-toed around the Garrett thing for 10 years while he was on the company payroll.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that show is far, far worse now. Sometimes ‘unlistenable’.

Yes. At least Broaddus had a scouting background.

I like Eagleton, Brooks and Youmans. The rest of that website can get flushed. It's awful.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not bashing Broaddus, but I think his bashing of McCarthy after one COVID season full of huge injuries is out of bounds too. Especially given how often he tip-toed around the Garrett thing for 10 years while he was on the company payroll.

I don't know. I've heard him state pretty clearly several times over Garrett's tenure that he should be fired. I thought that was pretty ballsy considering he was cashing team checks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I like Eagleton, Brooks and Youmans. The rest of that website can get flushed. It's awful.

In my opinion, Helman on the Break can sometimes be moody and a bit annoying, but he puts in the work. But Stanback and Harrison are awful.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know. I've heard him state pretty clearly several times over Garrett's tenure that he should be fired. I thought that was pretty ballsy considering he was cashing team checks.

I remember a lot of back and forth and changing of his opinions during Garrett’s overly-long tenure.

chasecooley5308

Reaction score
until the jones' are out of the way, expect more of the same. Hate to say it but they are the common denominator in it all.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
By the time you reach McCarthy's age, you shouldn't have to breathe football 24/7. You should know the game inside & out. They "new" things you should be spending time on is looking for trends and how to get ahead of them & how to keep your teaching methods \ message current.

A lot of the top coaches have other interests. Everyone needs something to keep them from getting burnt out. As long as you bring the knowledge when needed, I don't care if you read comics the rest of the time.

I'm not saying where McCarthy falls on this scale, just saying the measuring stick is flawed.

MikeB80

Reaction score

I don't understand how you, critical of everything can like Derek Eagleton. I haven't watched their content in ages but he knows the least of anyone there about football. He is painful to listen to talk about football.