Twitter: Broaddus: more wide open attack helps Dak more than pocket passer

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We already know that. The Cowboys have always moved the ball much easier with a wide open offense under Dak. This isn't exactly breaking news.

Tony too.

Letting the QB just play football outside of their system has always been more effective then them going through reads and finding the open guy.

I always want to pull my hair out when the offense is sputtering and they are still playing lethargic football and letting the playclock get to 1 before snapping.

I can understand it if the defense has been on the field for too long but change the pace of the game. Don't be extreme either way.

It's kind of like the multiple RB dilemma we've always had. Can't figure out how to play 2 RBs in the same series.

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter if he continues to miss wide open receivers.
Dak historically has been more accurate when he is outside the pocket.

I know he missed that pass to Jarwin. That is a throw he has to make. But generally speaking Dak has made many more plays outside the pocket than inside. The coaches need to realize this and use it to his advantage.

They also need to go up tempo on occasion. Try to keep the defense on their heels.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I know he missed that pass to Jarwin. That is a throw he has to make. But generally speaking Dak has made many more plays outside the pocket than inside. The coaches need to realize this and use it to his advantage.

They also need to go up tempo on occasion. Try to keep the defense on their heels.

Well... They ran the first down bootleg so much that teams just sit on it now.

They would have to use some designed roll outs with slide protection I guess.

Zman5

Reaction score
Romo had issues too when JG tried to make him into Tom Brady. Now Dak is being ask to be Aikman.
JG needs to told he isn't Bellichic or Jimmy Johnson.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Funny thing about that play, if take time to set his feet, it's a completion. He had plenty of time......

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nobody is asking him to be Aikman. Enough of the drama.

They are just asking him to make basic reads and throws and he is not able to do it.

So that's the point of the thread.. Spread it out and don't be so... Basic...

He's shown he can do the basic stuff in the past but he's struggling so get him back in the groove and get the ground game going and make it 3rd and manageable and he'll start having the confidence to make those plays.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If a QB is going to be successful in this league, they have to be capable of being a pocket passer. That doesn't mean you can't move them some, take advantage of their athletic ability, but QB play begins and ends with the pocket.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
It is the stubborn commitment to multiple TE set and shotgun formations that is hurting us. IMO— more straight power runs and play action from under center will set up waggles and boots.

When we go to shotgun on short down and distances— we become predictable. We simply need to re-establish a power running identity— that is hard to do when you default to a shotgun formation the majority of your snaps

birdwells1

Reaction score
Nobody is asking him to be Aikman. Enough of the drama.

They are just asking him to make basic reads and throws and he is not able to do it.

Dak is successful on 1st read open, roll outs (so he only has to read half of the field) and broken plays where the wr just get open.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If a QB is going to be successful in this league, they have to be capable of being a pocket passer. That doesn't mean you can't move them some, take advantage of their athletic ability, but QB play begins and ends with the pocket.

You don't make him a good pocket passer by taking away his strengths. Thats just bad coaching.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I know I sound like a broken record, but after 8 weeks of 2017, Dak was among the top 10 in passer rating from the pocket. When he gets consistent pressure in the game, he's terrible -- inside or outside the pocket, whether pressured on the play or not. His problem (and by extension, the team's problem) is that he becomes obsessed with the pass rush and starts feeling pressure that isn't there. Keep him clean in the first half and he's pretty good-to-great for the game.

That's been his m.o. going back at least to his college days.