Twitter: Broaddus: more wide open attack helps Dak more than pocket passer

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
At some point all qbs will have to throw from the pocket, that's like saying that a wrs best asset is blocking at some point he will have to catch a ball. You can only roll out a certain amount of times (although Dak pretty much turn every play into a roll out).

Then the coaching staff needs to let this happen naturally. Romo wasn't good in the pocket in his early years. Thus he continued to struggle then by not designing plays that suite him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I know I sound like a broken record, but after 8 weeks of 2017, Dak was among the top 10 in passer rating from the pocket. When he gets consistent pressure in the game, he's terrible -- inside or outside the pocket, whether pressured on the play or not. His problem (and by extension, the team's problem) is that he becomes obsessed with the pass rush and starts feeling pressure that isn't there. Keep him clean in the first half and he's pretty good-to-great for the game.

That's been his m.o. going back at least to his college days.

Hint: 'he's a system' QB as Stephen Jones stated. He's not comfortable when things unexpectedly break down.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I know I sound like a broken record, but after 8 weeks of 2017, Dak was among the top 10 in passer rating from the pocket. When he gets consistent pressure in the game, he's terrible -- inside or outside the pocket, whether pressured on the play or not. His problem (and by extension, the team's problem) is that he becomes obsessed with the pass rush and starts feeling pressure that isn't there. Keep him clean in the first half and he's pretty good-to-great for the game.

that's the reason he cant beat the teams with a better defense and will never win any thing as far as playoff games

CWR

Reaction score

I like your post by default lol. The obvious problem is that is too much to ask. Pressure is part of life as an NFL qb. Now I know a qb needs blocking, but no qb will go 16 games with out being under pressure multiple times throughout the games u know. I had hoped Dak would've improved on this, but sadly he looks similar to David Carr, who was essentially ruined by his oline. It seems like Dak hasnt recovered from Atlanta.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Letting players fall in the draft works for most positions but not QB. Need to do a better job of drafting guys who might be able to actually play in this league.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

Agreed, but having slow developing pass patterns doesn't help, and that seems to be the design of the offense. Watching the Rams game the other night, it was said by the commentators that McVeigh talked about how he has designed his offense with short quick pass patterns to get the receivers open quickly, and Goff doesn't have to read the entire field. It seems to work pretty well for them, but we don't have McVeigh, we have Garrett and Linehan, whose patterns take half an hour to run.

Reactions: CWR

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with this statement, Romo never had an issue throwing from the pocket.
Defenses thought he was at his best outside the pocket and started attacking him in a way to keep in the pocket and it was effective.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Nobody is asking him to be Aikman. Enough of the drama.

They are just asking him to make basic reads and throws and he is not able to do it.

I agree.

If we start the game in the spread and get a lead early in the games, I’d love to see how dak can manage the lead and control the game the whole time from the spread. I don’t think he can do it. To me, he is going to have to get under the center at some point because this is professional football and that’s how it’s done.

Starting the game in the spread doesn’t fix the problem, it just hides it for a little while.

pansophy

Reaction score
Duh.

Tell that to Jason and Scotty though.

Prescott has to be Aikman for them.
Cam is probably the closest to playing this way and being successful. There aren't a lot of examples out there of QBs who couldn't really succeed from the pocket and could win games.

CWR

Reaction score
Agreed, but having slow developing pass patterns doesn't help, and that seems to be the design of the offense. Watching the Rams game the other night, it was said by the commentators that McVeigh talked about how he has designed his offense with short quick pass patterns to get the receivers open quickly, and Goff doesn't have to read the entire field. It seems to work pretty well for them, but we don't have McVeigh, we have Garrett and Linehan, whose patterns take half an hour to run.

Yup, coaches that refuse to adapt their systems around the talent they have are destined to fail miserably. Funny how they got away from Jeff Fisher and now both Goff and Keenum are good qbs.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I hear ya. I'm not defending the coaches, just saying that the QB is a bit of a head case, and has been for quite some time.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He's obviously shell shocked. Get him in a situation where he can make quick, reliable reads. The 10-20 yard curls and outs aren't helping him.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Hint: 'he's a system' QB as Stephen Jones stated. He's not comfortable when things unexpectedly break down.
The point is that it's the same thing that was happening his senior year, so those who were eager to draft him (Linehan being the one who "stood on the table," according to Jerry) either thought it was something Dak would have time to outgrow, or that the pass protection here (or the scheme) would be so good that it wouldn't be an issue.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

it's not very realistic though. I agree, he crumbles with pressure, either mental or physical. But this is the NFL, those other 11 guys on D are pretty good and get paid too. they are going to win at times. If the only way to get him to play decent football is to not allow any pressure on him what so ever, then we will need to keep 10 into block and he can play catch with himself.

Right now, Dallas is the easiest team to play because they don't have to account for a passing game. If i was the D coordinator, I would put 10 guys within 4 yards of the LOS with a single high safety. Crush the run or flood the short zone with LBers on passing plays and force him to throw the the wide outs outside the numbers. He may not complete a pass all day.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter if he continues to miss wide open receivers.
How many "wide open" receivers did he miss? 2. That's about average in the NFL.

It's more like Dak didn't see some "wide open" receivers, but you also have to put circumstances into the equation like poor pass protection, being hurried out of the pocket, etc.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
it's not very realistic though. I agree, he crumbles with pressure, either mental or physical. But this is the NFL, those other 11 guys on D are pretty good and get paid too. they are going to win at times. If the only way to get him to play decent football is to not allow any pressure on him what so ever, then we will need to keep 10 into block and he can play catch with himself.
He's been very good under pressure as long as the pressures are sporadic. When the pressures get to be consistent (40% or more of his dropbacks), that's when it gets into his head. So far, the problem isn't that protection has to be perfect, the problem is that it can't be poor. A normal amount of pressures is about 33% of dropbacks. Pressure on 40% or more of dropbacks happens only about 4 times per season for the average QB.

Obviously that's a major problem for those 4 games, but the idea that he only plays well when there is "no pressure whatsoever" is an exaggeration. Or it least it has been up to this point. Right now, he's got to be better (in fact, much better) in those kinds of games, and his protection needs to be better so that there aren't as many of those kinds of games.