Twitter: Broaddus: more wide open attack helps Dak more than pocket passer

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
it's not very realistic though. I agree, he crumbles with pressure, either mental or physical. But this is the NFL, those other 11 guys on D are pretty good and get paid too. they are going to win at times. If the only way to get him to play decent football is to not allow any pressure on him what so ever, then we will need to keep 10 into block and he can play catch with himself.

Right now, Dallas is the easiest team to play because they don't have to account for a passing game. If i was the D coordinator, I would put 10 guys within 4 yards of the LOS with a single high safety. Crush the run or flood the short zone with LBers on passing plays and force him to throw the the wide outs outside the numbers. He may not complete a pass all day.
Spread the offense out with 4-5 receivers, and play dink-n-dunk 3 step drop plays all day until opposing DBs are forced to play man at the line of scrimmage. Then hit them with short crossing patterns, double moves, stop-n-go's and some speed over the top. Cowboys need to run a spread option offense the way Brady and the Patriots (Wentz/Eagles, Wilson/Seahawks, Rodgers/Packers and several other quick pass hitting teams) do.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
How many "wide open" receivers did he miss? 2. That's about average in the NFL.

It's more like Dak didn't see some "wide open" receivers, but you also have to put circumstances into the equation like poor pass protection, being hurried out of the pocket, etc.

Well, if he’s only going to throw the ball further than 20 yards one time all day and check down the rest of the game, can he at least be accurate at doing that?

The thing that drives me nuts with him is if we call a slant, he doesn’t throw the slant. He looks around, reads the defense, checks it down or gets sacked cause there is a loaded box since nobody respects him. If they call a slant, throw the slant on time or tuck it. It’s either there or it’s not. I mean I never thought the dude was stupid but man, if he can’t figure out what to do to beat a loaded box then I’m gonna call him stupid.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Spread the offense out with 4-5 receivers, and play dink-n-dunk 3 step drop plays all day until opposing DBs are forced to play man at the line of scrimmage. Then hit them with short crossing patterns, double moves, stop-n-go's and some speed over the top. Cowboys need to run a spread option offense the way Brady and the Patriots (Wentz/Eagles, Wilson/Seahawks, Rodgers/Packers and several other quick pass hitting teams) do.

Won’t work, guarantee it. They aren’t fixing anything by hiding the fact he can’t play from under the center. The are just delaying it. Eventually, an nfl qb has to get under center and the same problem is still there.

I’ll say this though, if dak says he needs to go 4-5wide every play from the first play of the game till the last and that’s how he will be a good qb, I’m all for it. But I can tell you that ain’t gonna work and it’s gonna get ugly this year. Defenses will sit in zone and make us go on 18 play drives and destroy the receivers as soon as they catch it or wait for a bad pass and go the other way.

The only time we moved the ball last week was when we were down by 4 scores. The defense is going to play you a little different when they have a 4 score lead in te 2nd half than they will in the first qtr.

JustChip

Reaction score
If they want a pocket passer, why didn't they draft a pocket passer?
They didn’t draft Dak in the 4th round to be Romo’s heir apparent. They drafted him to be a project that MIGHT have potential. Circumstances happened, including injuries to QBs #1 & 2 and the team & Dak performing beyond anyone’s wildest imagination. That put them in an untenable position. They drafted a pocket passer this year in White, but he was available in the 5th round for a reason and is nowhere near ready for prime time, if he ever will be.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, if he’s only going to throw the ball further than 20 yards one time all day and check down the rest of the game, can he at least be accurate at doing that?

The thing that drives me nuts with him is if we call a slant, he doesn’t throw the slant. He looks around, reads the defense, checks it down or gets sacked cause there is a loaded box since nobody respects him. If they call a slant, throw the slant on time or tuck it. It’s either there or it’s not. I mean I never thought the dude was stupid but man, if he can’t figure out what to do to beat a loaded box then I’m gonna call him stupid.
How do you know when a slant is called?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak historically has been more accurate when he is outside the pocket.

I know he missed that pass to Jarwin. That is a throw he has to make. But generally speaking Dak has made many more plays outside the pocket than inside. The coaches need to realize this and use it to his advantage.

Dak was freakishly effective on the run his rookie year, but most of that was running laterally right to extend plays.

I don't think much of it was running forward.

Dak gets antsy when the rush is all around him. He's not a pocket guy. But roll right and away from the rush, and there is less to think about, and more brain left over to find receivers downfield.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with this statement, Romo never had an issue throwing from the pocket.

Romo didn't have an issue *throwing* from the pocket, but he had a big issue with pocket presence in early years. He'd let the rush get too close without protecting the ball. He used to give up lots of fumbles in the pocket.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
I’d ask him to throw a 10 yard out but I’d say it’s about an 80% chance that’s going the other way for 6 if he does so better just run the slant. No since I’m calling a play action deep ball outside cause that’s def just a sack since he doesn’t throw deep. So I’m not sure what else you can do with the guy

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Romo didn't have an issue *throwing* from the pocket, but he had a big issue with pocket presence in early years. He'd let the rush get too close without protecting the ball. He used to give up lots of fumbles in the pocket.

He’s gone. We are talking about now

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Spread the offense out with 4-5 receivers, and play dink-n-dunk 3 step drop plays all day until opposing DBs are forced to play man at the line of scrimmage.

Whether spread or not, Dak has to learn to just get rid of the ball. Or just run.

He gets happy feet too early, and then holds the ball too long.

Sure glad we have Kellen Moore to coach him up!

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Whether spread or not, Dak has to learn to just get rid of the ball. Or just run.

He gets happy feet too early, and then holds the ball too long.

Sure glad we have Kellen Moore to coach him up!

Dude with the way defenses are going to play him now (not his rookie year) his options from under center are play action deep drop for a deeper pass or out, or post etc. or short drops and slants/te Seam. Or hand the ball off. They are making him play from the pocket.

Spread them out if you want but eventually, he’s gonna have to get back under the center.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
This right here is why Broaddus is where he's at now. This isn't how you go about developing a QB, Dak MUST get better in the pocket. That's simply how it is.

History shows if a QB can't get passing done while in the pocket, they never go on to amount to much. (Can't wait for people to bring up the myth about Russell Wilson)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Won’t work, guarantee it. They aren’t fixing anything by hiding the fact he can’t play from under the center. The are just delaying it. Eventually, an nfl qb has to get under center and the same problem is still there.

I’ll say this though, if dak says he needs to go 4-5wide every play from the first play of the game till the last and that’s how he will be a good qb, I’m all for it. But I can tell you that ain’t gonna work and it’s gonna get ugly this year. Defenses will sit in zone and make us go on 18 play drives and destroy the receivers as soon as they catch it or wait for a bad pass and go the other way.

The only time we moved the ball last week was when we were down by 4 scores. The defense is going to play you a little different when they have a 4 score lead in te 2nd half than they will in the first qtr.
Dak needs to learn some Romo "in the pocket" wiggle moves. That would buy him some time to find and get open receivers.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Dak needs to learn some Romo "in the pocket" wiggle moves. That would buy him some time to find and get open receivers.

Really he just needs to learn how to get rid of the ball and be accurate. Romo was never lucky enough, or I guess I should say bad enough, to get to play against the defenses Dak is getting to play against right now.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I know I sound like a broken record, but after 8 weeks of 2017, Dak was among the top 10 in passer rating from the pocket. When he gets consistent pressure in the game, he's terrible -- inside or outside the pocket, whether pressured on the play or not. His problem (and by extension, the team's problem) is that he becomes obsessed with the pass rush and starts feeling pressure that isn't there. Keep him clean in the first half and he's pretty good-to-great for the game.

That's been his m.o. going back at least to his college days.

On that note, how does PFF have the Cowboys line ranked in the top 10 this week?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Duh.

Tell that to Jason and Scotty though.

Prescott has to be Aikman for them.
"CUz' tHats THe waY it WaS,,,and wE liKeD iT",,,o_O

*Dana Carvey's SNL's grumpy old man ,thru no small feat,has been dusted off & befittingly summoned for the compiling of this post:thumbup:

:)

aria

Reaction score
How many "wide open" receivers did he miss? 2. That's about average in the NFL.

It's more like Dak didn't see some "wide open" receivers, but you also have to put circumstances into the equation like poor pass protection, being hurried out of the pocket, etc.
I like Dak and have never really talked bad about him until after Sunday. I’ve also said hopefully he improves but this has been going on too long to keep making coaching excuses, receiver excuses, TE excuses, last year it was Zeke’s absence excuses, the Atlanta game excuses, O line excuses, etc.

I’m sick of all the excuses, he needs to make the throws he should make, see wide open receivers, get rid of the ball quicker, etc. I’ve heard enough. What next, JG gets fired then Jerry decides to sign Dak to a big contract because he’ll try to give the same excuses a lot of people here do? What happens if a new coach comes and he still doesn’t get any better. That will eliminate the main excuse but I’m sure people will come up with even more.