Broaddus top 5 safeties

Sydla

Reaction score
I am not sure why I have such a visceral dislike of Rapp and taking him at 58.

It is like how much I was against the idea of taking an OG like Hernandez at 19 last year like some wanted to do.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I am not sure why I have such a visceral dislike of Rapp and taking him at 58.

It is like how much I was against the idea of taking an OG like Hernandez at 19 last year like some wanted to do.
He's not versatile. You want three down players who aren't a liability at 58.

He'd make a good box safety, but what are you doing with him on 3rd downs? Nickel LB? Who are you taking off the field for him, Jaylon or LVE?

There's much better fits at S.

Rayman70

Reaction score
trade up for Adderly or Savage ONLY. No way in HELL I am trading up for Rapp. My guess is we stay put and take Gerald Willis or best available safety/corner.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He's not versatile. You want three down players who aren't a liability at 58.

He'd make a good box safety, but what are you doing with him on 3rd downs? Nickel LB? Who are you taking off the field for him, Jaylon or LVE?

There's much better fits at S.

Right, folks are like “oh, well he’ll be a box safety down near the line,” as if opposing offenses won’t exploit him by making him cover out in space.

Reaction score
Imagine Rapp trying to cover Desean Jackson. That image is enough for me to pass on the player. And I like everything about him, except his long speed.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
trade up for Adderly or Savage ONLY. No way in HELL I am trading up for Rapp. My guess is we stay put and take Gerald Willis or best available safety/corner.
Did Savage come in for a 30 visit?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Did Savage come in for a 30 visit?

He did not that I'm aware of. With the exception of Chauncey Gardner-Johnson it looks like most of the safeties they brought in are SS types. Obviously Thornhill could play either, but Abram, Boston, Rapp, and Willis all look like SS to me.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I cant remember the cowboys drafting a slow DB in the top 2 RDs in like forever,they value speed .

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Rapp is not a deep safety in this league.

He’s a box safety. Taking him at 58 would be a real stretch IMO.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/taylor-rapp

Not sure we're looking for a deep safety. It would depend on how we feel about Woods. I think we're looking for a safety who can play near the line of scrimmage both in underneath zone, probably short man and run-stopping.

I'm not saying Rapp is the best player for that, but I see us still looking for a step up from Iloka/Heath at the strong safety spot. I don't think that means we draft a lesser safety if a better one is available who is stronger in coverage than run-stopping, but I just don't think we're looking to knock Woods off the field.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not sure we're looking for a deep safety. It would depend on how we feel about Woods. I think we're looking for a safety who can play near the line of scrimmage both in underneath zone, probably short man and run-stopping.

I'm not saying Rapp is the best player for that, but I see us still looking for a step up from Iloka/Heath at the strong safety spot. I don't think that means we draft a lesser safety if a better one is available who is stronger in coverage than run-stopping, but I just don't think we're looking to knock Woods off the field.

If we are looking for a box safety then I wouldn't use the 58th pick on one.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

We need the best player we can get whether it's a "box safety" whose primary responsibility is short-area coverage and stopping the run or a deep coverage safety. Richard likes to use a lot of man principles with one safety playing centerfield and another playing underneath. If Rapp (or another safety) is better than what we have at playing underneath while being strong in run support, I have no problem spending the 58th pick on him. Different responsibilities do not make the position any less valuable.

Now, you may be using box safety to mean that he can't play the pass, even underneath coverage, but I don't believe that is supposed to be the case. He doesn't have ideal speed to play the deep end, but I don't think that's going to be his role. He might have to play some Cover 2 at times, but that is less about speed than reading what's coming and being in the right position.

Right now, one of my main concerns on defense is not having a safety who is stout against the run but also can handle his coverage responsibilities well. Heath can cover but plays the run poorly. Iloka plays the run well, but I'm not sure about his underneath coverage.

I'm not saying I'm sold on Rapp, just that if Dallas believes he can play the run well and execute his duties in underneath coverage, then that's worth the 58 to me because it fixes one of our problem areas.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Depends on your interpretation of “box safety.”

To me, a good one is someone who will play closer to the LOS and impact the run game while having the short area quickness to be able to cover well in zone.

To me, a great box safety would be huge for our defense. Someone like Abram fits the bill of what I’m describing.