Broncos release QB Jeff Driskel

conner01

Reaction score
I "liked," but I also won't be upset if Driskel could be added, releasing CRush. Driskel's a legit back-up in this league, imo, while I'm still less certain whether CRush is.
Rush wasn’t on team last year till Dak went down and he won’t be on the team this year
Dak, Gilbert and Ben

plymkr

Reaction score
Garrett Gilbert...we're fine at QB2
Yeah I want to see more Gilbert. I was pretty excited about what he did in the Steelers game and pissed he didn't start the rest of the season.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more Gilbert!!!!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dak is better.. Especially at the micro level.. On the Macro level they get the same results because at the end of the day their team carries them and they don’t carry their team because they just aren’t capable of it.

I mean.. Daks good for a 4th round player.

Got it.. 4 blowout losses in 11 starts with the same team that Dak guided to ZERO blowout losses in nearly three seasons. What was 10 or 12 fewer points per game? Every player on the offense's production dipping from one guy to the other.. You and I both know that Dak was good for 3-4 more wins against the same schedule Dalton (and the two kids) faced at minimum. 6-10 turns into 10-6 with Dak upright. You don't want to see the difference.. Fine.. I will continue to illuminate it for you. Not because I believe I will change your mind but because I enjoy poking fun at the butthurt you people display over Dak's signing..

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Garrett Gilbert :lmao: The guy did OK in one start. He looked better than Dinucci but I think a more seasoned back-up is needed. There should be a competition at the very least. There is a reason why the guy has been with "half" the league at some point in his career.

How good was our "more seasoned back-up" last year?

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
Why is it that every time a player is released somewhere there is someone here who thinks or asks if the Cowboys should either sign him or take a look at him. Like some other team's cast offs are better than what the Cowboys have. Just for the record in 4 years in the NFL he's been on four different teams. That's a lot of teams even for a backup QB. Good players don't bounce around like that. Give up trying to be a scout you're not very good at it.
My oh my. Looks like we have an arm chair (know it all GM) on here. Lol. For the record, nobody’s advocating for the guy to be signed or even saying he’s good. I look at this board as a good source to ask questions or get info from other “fans” that may know more than me. To me that’s what makes it awesome. I have no clue about the guy other than he was cut by Denver. Why assume he’s my pet? But sense you promoted me to a scout now, I will tell you it may not be a great idea to put all your faith in Gilbert as a backup.Just saying....

jrumann59

Reaction score
How good was our "more seasoned back-up" last year?
How many games has Gilbert won in the NFL? How many has he started? Dinucci equaled Garretts starting total in his 1st season actually before Garrett even started his 1st game.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
How many games has Gilbert won in the NFL? How many has he started? Dinucci equaled Garretts starting total in his 1st season actually before Garrett even started his 1st game.
If you can't tell the difference between Dalton, GG, JG & the Nooch....what are we even talking about?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Rush wasn’t on team last year till Dak went down and he won’t be on the team this year
Dak, Gilbert and Ben

Um. Okay. If you really think Ben gets through preseason impressing enough to not be dispatched to the practice squad.

Goes w/o saying, that's not something I anticipate... and it's not as-if any of those teams who supposedly were our competition for signing DiNucci last off-season are likely to be lining up to make him their #3... he's practice-squad-bound for someone (at best).

Getting back to Driskel, I've maybe seen more of him than most, given my ties to Cincinnati and my ties to La Tech. Would feel oh-so-good to see him and Gilbert duke it out for #2.

jrumann59

Reaction score
If you can't tell the difference between Dalton, GG, JG & the Nooch....what are we even talking about?

I know the difference everyone wants to look at snapshots. I would take my chances with Dalton 100% of the time over a guy like Gilbert Grape who looked good if he was 23 year old Rookie against the Steelers, not a 30 year old never was.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
I know the difference everyone wants to look at snapshots. I would take my chances with Dalton 100% of the time over a guy like Gilbert Grape who looked good if he was 23 year old Rookie against the Steelers, not a 30 year old never was.
Dalton was a luxury as a backup. And we still floundered. As The Tuna once said, "you don't just dial 1-800-quarterback".....Gilbert has plenty of ability and swagger to be the backup qb here. And most importantly, the team responded to him and played hard for him.

conner01

Reaction score
Um. Okay. If you really think Ben gets through preseason impressing enough to not be dispatched to the practice squad.

Goes w/o saying, that's not something I anticipate... and it's not as-if any of those teams who supposedly were our competition for signing DiNucci last off-season are likely to be lining up to make him their #3... he's practice-squad-bound for someone (at best).

Getting back to Driskel, I've maybe seen more of him than most, given my ties to Cincinnati and my ties to La Tech. Would feel oh-so-good to see him and Gilbert duke it out for #2.
Ben was a 7th rnd pick with no training camp thrown in to play. I don’t know if he can play but it would be stupid to draft a guy, put him in that situation and then judge him by the results
If that’s the program then you are wasting a pick on any QB you want to develop because very few QB’s thrown into that situation could have succeeded
It’s not like we had an oline protecting him to give him any chance
If you don’t want to try and develop later picks that’s fine, just buy veterans and don’t waste your time picking players in the later rounds

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Ben was a 7th rnd pick with no training camp thrown in to play. I don’t know if he can play but it would be stupid to draft a guy, put him in that situation and then judge him by the results
If that’s the program then you are wasting a pick on any QB you want to develop because very few QB’s thrown into that situation could have succeeded
If you don’t want to try and develop later picks that’s fine, just buy veterans and don’t waste your time picking players in the later rounds

I will only partially agree with you here. If Dinnucci had thrown for 350 yards and 3 TDs and won the game would we not have judged him by THOSE results? Of course we would.. The screams to cut Dak and roll with Nooch would have been deafening. Why? Results.. you can't have it both ways.. If positive results count then so too do the negative.. That said, we got about what we could have expected from Dinnucci. It should not be the end of his career.. realistically 2021 will be his true rookie season..

jrumann59

Reaction score
Dalton was a luxury as a backup. And we still floundered. As The Tuna once said, "you don't just dial 1-800-quarterback".....Gilbert has plenty of ability and swagger to be the backup qb here. And most importantly, the team responded to him and played hard for him.
Based on what 1 game. Here are his career stats

23/44 283 yards, 1TD, 1INT. That is his career which started back in 2014.

Before the steelers game last year, 2/3 40 yards back in 2018.

The only thing this guy has 5 qtrs and some AAF starts over Dinucci. Not saying Dinucci is the answer but for a guy that some think should be shoo-in for QB2.

_sturt_

Reaction score

Don't take my post to mean I'm necessarily a pessimist where it concerns DiNucci. Rather, take my post as recognizing the realism that he's naturally not going to be as highly valued as he perhaps was as a fresh UDFA, and you don't really have to worry about dispatching him to the practice squad this time around and potentially losing him.

If he does impress in camp, then sure, consider him for some actual roster role, but don't just presume it's either/or. Add Driskel to the 2021 camp mix, and see what happens.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Based on what 1 game. Here are his career stats

23/44 283 yards, 1TD, 1INT. That is his career which started back in 2014.

Before the steelers game last year, 2/3 40 yards back in 2018.

The only thing this guy has 5 qtrs and some AAF starts over Dinucci. Not saying Dinucci is the answer but for a guy that some think should be shoo-in for QB2.

That makes my point even more clear.

conner01

Reaction score
I will only partially agree with you here. If Dinnucci had thrown for 350 yards and 3 TDs and won the game would we not have judged him by THOSE results? Of course we would.. The screams to cut Dak and roll with Nooch would have been deafening. Why? Results.. you can't have it both ways.. If positive results count then so too do the negative.. That said, we got about what we could have expected from Dinnucci. It should not be the end of his career.. realistically 2021 will be his true rookie season..
It’s impossible for a rookie with no camp, and no oline to have results
It’s not like he was a first round pick, he was draft in the 7th
Even dalton who is a skilled veteran player didn’t have but just over 2100 yards in 11 games, and 9 starts

conner01

Reaction score
Don't take my post to mean I'm necessarily a pessimist where it concerns DiNucci. Rather, take my post as recognizing the realism that he's naturally not going to be as highly valued as he perhaps was as a fresh UDFA, and you don't really have to worry about dispatching him to the practice squad this time around and potentially losing him.

If he does impress in camp, then sure, consider him for some actual roster role, but don't just presume it's either/or. Add Driskel to the 2021 camp mix, and see what happens.
The mistake last year was not playing Gilbert to finish the season
Then we would have a better idea if he is a viable backup
But if you are gonna sign Driskell then Gilbert is the least likely guy to keep and develop since he’s been
On 7 teams and is about to be 30

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Driskel is as bad as Denuci. Pass on this one. Gilbert deserves a shot but I’d like to see another vet come in and compete for it with him.