Broncos release QB Jeff Driskel

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yeah I want to see more Gilbert. I was pretty excited about what he did in the Steelers game and pissed he didn't start the rest of the season.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more Gilbert!!!!

Agreed.

Ive said it before but he made 2-3 high-level throws that game that not many backups would be expected to make.

The one that specifically comes to mind was along the sideline to Lamb.

_sturt_

Reaction score
But if you are gonna sign Driskell then Gilbert is the least likely guy to keep and develop since he’s been
On 7 teams and is about to be 30

Maybe so.

Even if we accept that, still, why wouldn't you let the competition in training camp play out, and make a decision accordingly? That's all I'm saying. Driskel wouldn't be the expensive kind of acquisition that you'd have to commit big guaranteed money to get anyhow.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
My oh my. Looks like we have an arm chair (know it all GM) on here. Lol. For the record, nobody’s advocating for the guy to be signed or even saying he’s good. I look at this board as a good source to ask questions or get info from other “fans” that may know more than me. To me that’s what makes it awesome. I have no clue about the guy other than he was cut by Denver. Why assume he’s my pet? But sense you promoted me to a scout now, I will tell you it may not be a great idea to put all your faith in Gilbert as a backup.Just saying....

I know this might shock you but there's a wealth of information on a thing called the internet that you could use rather than asking foolish questions. I never claimed to be a GM, but what I did was checked out Diskel on the internet to make sure what I remembered was right. Next I didn't promote you to being a scout, in fact I said the complete opposite that you should stop playing scout because you're terrible at it. Lastly my guess is the Cowboys don't think Driskel is an improvement over Gilbert.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It’s impossible for a rookie with no camp, and no oline to have results
It’s not like he was a first round pick, he was draft in the 7th
Even dalton who is a skilled veteran player didn’t have but just over 2100 yards in 11 games, and 9 starts

I agree that Dinucci was not handed an ideal situation. Even with no camp and a beat up line he STILL fell below my expectations. He didn't just look bad.. he looked incompetent. He looked like you or me out there. Worse yet was that he play calling made it look as though the coaches KNEW he would be incompetent based on how he had practiced but they simply didn't have enough time tog et Gilbert or Rush ready for that game.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree that Dinucci was not handed an ideal situation. Even with no camp and a beat up line he STILL fell below my expectations. He didn't just look bad.. he looked incompetent. He looked like you or me out there. Worse yet was that he play calling made it look as though the coaches KNEW he would be incompetent based on how he had practiced but they simply didn't have enough time tog et Gilbert or Rush ready for that game.
He looked like a 7th round pick with no camp and no blocking
He may never be anything but we sure aren’t gonna know till we give him a real camp and a shot in some pre season games to see
If we are gonna spend picks on a QB we should give him a real chance to see
If not why waste the picks?
I wanted to play Gilbert to finish the season and see if he could be a viable backup this year, but we didn’t
I wanted to see Anae but we didn’t

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
Seeing how I got blasted so bad for even asking about this guy, it’s pretty funny that he’s coming in for a visit and likely signing. Lol. Could care less if they sign him or not, but it’s still funny.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Seeing how I got blasted so bad for even asking about this guy, it’s pretty funny that’s he’s coming in for a visit and likely signing. Lol. Could care less if they sign him or not, but it’s still funny.

I think you were right to ask the question. I just am not a fan of the player (mainly cuz the Broncos need a QB and he was released, though it may have been salary cap related). However, nothing wrong with asking questions and asking about players.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Well, not a fan of Driskel, but I guess the more QB competition the better.
Watched him play a couple of times Not sure what to think about him He has more real game experience than both our backup QB's combined. If there is any benefit to having him that would be about it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Watched him play a couple of times Not sure what to think about him He has more real game experience than both our backup QB's combined. If there is any benefit to having him that would be about it.

Yup, and that helps with the battles in preseason.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Been paying attention to Driskel since he was a Bengal. No, really, since he was a Bulldog over at LaTech.

He shouldn't be anyone's starter, but he should be someone's #2. And if I'm wrong, let someone beat him out and I'll hush.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
The logic being, if the Broncos waive him we like him?
No. The logic being they’re not set at backup QB. Look at the roster, it’s not hard to see. Hence the reason Driskel is visiting the team facility today. A lot of people on this board wanna keep jumping on the “They cut them, we like them bandwagon” and roasting guys for suggesting or asking about certain players. I get it, that’s not the way us fans want to see the team operate. Especially when we think a guy sucks. But sometimes the team may just think the guy we’ve got sucks worse than the guy that was cut. I guess they’re gonna find out aren’t they.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Again, folks need to mange their expectations for a backup QB. All the criticism of Dalton is misguided; I’d take Dalton as a backup to Dak any day.

We missed an opportunity to grab Bridgewater in a trade for just a 6th round pick.

In absence of having a former starting QB (Dalton, Bridgewater, etc.) with significant experience, you’re left with a next tier of backups like Driskell.

For me he checks the backup QB boxes:
1. Has experience as an NFL starter
2. Is athletic

Last edited:

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
I know this might shock you but there's a wealth of information on a thing called the internet that you could use rather than asking foolish questions. I never claimed to be a GM, but what I did was checked out Diskel on the internet to make sure what I remembered was right. Next I didn't promote you to being a scout, in fact I said the complete opposite that you should stop playing scout because you're terrible at it. Lastly my guess is the Cowboys don't think Driskel is an improvement over Gilbert.
Hey my friend. Got a few more “foolish questions” for you. Since Driskel is visiting the team today do you think you guessed wrong? I know I’m terrible at “playing scout”. You know....because I asked a question about Driskel the other day, but what do you think of the team scouts know? After all, I haven’t put the guy on a plane and brought him in for a visit, the Cowboys did Lol. I only know all this because I found out what the “internet” was and I read it. LOL.