Twitter: Browns TE David Njoku asks to be traded, should Cowboys be interested?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Just HAD to have Witten play all those last legged snaps last year.

Sufficiently to the point where the Jarwin analysis is incomplete.

I'd say we cant at this point can give up draft assets before we see if Jarwin can be that guy.

Things may very well boil down to where we are better off with Bell getting more snaps w the way our WRs are... no real way to know at this point.

But you cant go shipping like a 2nd to Cleveland and that's what they are gonna want.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Jarwin is a receiving TE with questionable blocking skills, I'm on board.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're about to find out what the Cowboys brass thinks of their TE depth.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I'd be on the phone.

Why should we care?

His catch% is abysmal for a TE. His ypt and drop% much worse than Jarwin. Jarwin is up to 260, Njoku at 246. And we have Jarwin under contract for cheap for the next 4 years, while Njoku is in his last year, then a 5th season option at 6mil.

We don't need another pass catching TE. We already have plenty of meaningful options to Jarwin as the 5th man in Pollard, Smith, and Olawale.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Drops and injury issues, over rated for where he was selected. Move along.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He would be a nice player to have, but fans seem willing to give up draft picks every time there is a nice player available, and that is not reasonable. The depth strength would be nice, but I don’t know he would bring anything more to the starting role than we could get from Jarwin.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...n-trading-for-cleveland-browns-te-david-njoku

Report: Dallas Cowboys among teams interested in trading for Cleveland Browns TE David Njoku
The Cowboys tight end room could use some more firepower.

By RJ Ochoa@rjochoa Jul 3, 2020, 4:01pm CDTShare this on Facebook (opens in new window)

The Dallas Cowboys have been very busy this offseason. Mike McCarthy has made many decisions during his tenure as the team’s head coach and they have mostly been ones that have met with approval.

There are expectations for McCarthy’s Cowboys to be among the better offenses in the NFL this season, that type of talk and chatter can start when you draft CeeDee Lamb and put him on what was already one of the most efficient offenses in the NFL.

What if the Cowboys added even more, though?

Dallas is reportedly interested in trading for Browns tight end David Njoku
On Friday there was a report that Cleveland Browns tight end David Njoku has asked his team, the one that drafted him 29th overall in 2017, to trade him. This makes sense considering that Cleveland paid Austin Hooper big money this offseason.

Typically when something like this happens it is met with a “should the Cowboys be interested?” type of response. Well what do you know, the Cowboys are reportedly interested.

But the Browns, who picked up his fifth-year option in April worth about $6.4 million for the 2021 season, want to keep him and would likely want a first-round pick to trade him, one source told cleveland.com. The Cowboys are one team that might have some interest, another source said.

Let’s be clear. It is possible, some would argue likely, that the Cowboys are being thrown out as an interested party so as to garner interest in Njoku across the league. We see this kind of thing happen all of the time.

Obviously it is also possible that the Cowboys are legitimately interested in David Njoku, although they did just make a commitment to Blake Jarwin this offseason. It wouldn’t exactly be fun for Jarwin to have somebody show up unexpectedly and eat into his snap count for the second year in a row (shout out to Jason Witten).

David Njoku was thought to be quite the prospect when he came out of Miami three years ago, but it’s been a bit of a bumpy road for him in Cleveland since then. He caught four touchdowns in each of his first two seasons but only played in four games last year.

There is no doubt that a change of scenery might be in David Njoku’s best interest, but it is hard to see that change being to the Dallas Cowboys. Anything can happen, but given that the Browns reportedly want a first-round pick that price is going to be too high for Dallas.

It is worth noting though that Mike McCarthy did interview with the Cleveland Browns to be their head coach before he interviewed and ultimately got the job with the Dallas Cowboys. McCarthy likely studied the Browns at that time.

tm1119

Reaction score
All depends on the price of course. No one should feel comfortable with our TE situation. Even if you don’t think Njoku is better than Jarwin, what if Jarwin gets hurt? Shultz and Bell would not be encouraging. Plus 2 TE sets are becoming more and more prominent and Njoku would be far and away our 2nd best TE on the roster.

As usual there’s a common sense middle ground where the Cowboys should be interested, but also shouldn’t give up premium assets. Not idea if it’s even in the ballpark, but Lewis, 4th and 6th wouldn’t be a bad deal for the cowboys in my opinion.

quickccc

Reaction score

Yes, David Njoko is extremely athletic.
Not quite in the league of Vernon Davis and Evan Engram, but he has the
speed, athleticism and big play run skills to factor big if he's schemed well. He has the physical ability to
create splash plays and mismatch factors in pass game.

- i just like to know what was some of the issues that's prompt these so called " inconsistencies " that has
has led to an unhappy relationship between the Browns and Njoko in Dawg Pound.
How do these so called inconsistencies of his, compare up the supposed issues with OJ Howard ?

- That been said, i dunno if the TE is that huge a catch number factor in McCarthy's offense.
sure he's had athletic factor TE's such as Graham and Cook but aside Jimmy's G 55 catch year
(that was pushed more needed because of Davante Adams' injury loss) but from past trend otherwise
we won't be having Witten, Ertz, Kelcie lead catch roles and big catch numbers, imo.

Plankton

Reaction score
Njoku is who I wanted the Cowboys to draft in 2017 when they were on the clock. Injury concerns aside, he’d be a very good addition. I don’t think the Browns are actively looking to deal him, though. He asked out, they said no.

blueblood70

Reaction score
na still no go get Griffin or Logan ryan the defense is what could use help,,

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Where’s Coakley when you need him.

He is being packaged with Dat Nguyen and Rowdy for a new mascot. I understand the Cowboys FO has been in contact with Proctor and Gamble with interest in Mr. Clean.

6 ft 4 3/4 in
benched 225 lbs 37 times
4.46 forty yard dash
6.67 three cone drill
plays both outside linebacker or TE
Has some kind of pirate mystique

iu

quickccc

Reaction score
i recalled David Njoko was one of those that was very high on Cowboys draft board per 1st round
during his draft class.

Maybe the trade asking prices and compensations may factor it differently.
i tend to think the team wants to see what recently re-signed Jarwin will do (can do) in a more
increased role, a starter role, in McCarthy's scheme than pursuing big name TEs in trades.

Blake still will be a finesse factor as an in-line blocker but my hopes is MM won't prioritize him
to block DEs as often as the Garrett era required.

But as the 4th- 5th option, Blake can be best used in in spots and situational packages such
as underneath, roll outs, occasional deep middle seams, screens, red zones/2 minute hurries,
It remains to be seen if he can beat those one on one matches vs the better coverage LBs and safeties.

But there's no question that his athleticism can be very helpful and a mass much more improved
- as compared to what we'd endure under previously painfully slow Jason Witten and his usage.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He wants to go somewhere and get his value up. It ain't happening in Dallas. Commanders should be interested.

Washington makes more sense. Dallas just gave Jarwin a nice contract to be the #1 TE. Njoku would be reciving option #6 at best behind the 3 WR, Zeke and Jarwin.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Just HAD to have Witten play all those last legged snaps last year.

Sufficiently to the point where the Jarwin analysis is incomplete.

I'd say we cant at this point can give up draft assets before we see if Jarwin can be that guy.

Things may very well boil down to where we are better off with Bell getting more snaps w the way our WRs are... no real way to know at this point.

But you cant go shipping like a 2nd to Cleveland and that's what they are gonna want.
This 100%, having witten come back limiting Jarwin so we don't even really know what we have in Jarwin. Im sending them a 4th anything higher than that I'll pass